Jim Gannon

That is really weird reading that report. Last time Motherwell and relegation battle appeared together, its only got better since those days

Really?

Have you ever read some of the apocalyptic shite on here if we lose or draw or don't have >50% possession etc etc

Relegation dogfight is regularly trotted out as a possibility round here.

• Like 2

1378837711[/url]' post='395638']

Aye. I listened to it on the radio and hearing Malpas voice after the match was truly depressing. His monotone pish pouring out.

I'm pretty sure it was after that game that Malpas said "it's just your Donald Duck. Once the players cross that white line there's very little a manager can do". I think he also mentioned the players being in "holiday mode".

Should have been told to beat it at that point.

Heggarty was 'old school', a bullying cunt of a man, watched the reserves during his time and it was fucking horrific

Wasn't so brave when one of the youth teams' parents asked for a word in his shell-like across the field at Dalziel Park...

John Boyle admitted as much to 'taking his eye off the ball' with messrs Malpas & Heggarty, the rest as they say is history and it's been some journey to be fair :nod:

I always said Brown should be have been punted at the end of his first season. He did the job he came for (to add a wee bit of stability), but was a poor decision to keep him on after that as he was never the man the take the club forward.

Bit unfair that, although he made some odd decisions during his spell, he was also the manager that came closest to taking us to the promised land of the group stages, and in all honesty, would've done if Blackman/Murphy/Humphrey/Sutton had taken any of their chances.

Unlike Malpas, that time the manager can only do so much. Brown picked the right players and the right team to win that night, but they just couldn't finish them off.

Yeah, running off to Aberdeen was shite, but like McGhee before, I've mellowed somewhat given the outcome of their times there, which were far better for us than them.

I always said Brown should be have been punted at the end of his first season. He did the job he came for (to add a wee bit of stability), but was a poor decision to keep him on after that as he was never the man the take the club forward.

when he left we were sitting having P.14 W.7 D.2 L.5 F.22 A.16 which was a decent record, we were in the league cup semi final and had had a decent run in europe. the week at the start of november when we won in inverness on the saturday then hammered st johnstone 4-0 midweek everything looked to be going great (alan gow apart).

sacking the manager after the euphoria of 6-6 and 3-3 wouldn't have been very in keeping with the way the club operate.

He wouldn't have been sacked though (given that he didn't have a contract).

He joined on an agreement to stay until the end of the season. There was nothing agreed beyond that point. His track record was not good in building teams or developing clubs - and that wasn't an issue, because it was never part of his brief.

I have no problems with the job he did in his initial spell, but would have preferred new blood (like a McCall) as soon as possible after that.

I remember the start of the Jim Gannon era with a lot of hope and excitement. The first couple of month or so went really well and things were looking good, young players coming through and the team playing well.

However I think some folk are forgetting how bad it actually was after that initial period. While his sacking was mainly down to factors away from the results on the pitch, the team were absolutely shocking in that period.

Gannon won only 1 of his last 10 games at Motherwell, conceding 25 goals!

His head was stuck so far up his own arse that despite shipping goals for fun he never once in an SPL match started with Craigan and Reynolds. (As far as I remember)

The first thing Brown did when he came in was revert back to Craigan and Reynolds in the centre of defence, the result? 2 goals conceded in the next 10 SPL games.

I fully believe that if Gannon hadn't got the bullet, the slide would have continued and we'd have been in serious trouble.

I pretty much agree in essence with every thing you say here except there are some factual errors.

Gannon only won 1 of his last 11 games if you include the 0-3 defeat in the League Cup to St. Mirren.

Secondly he did play Reynolds and Craigan together on a number of occasions, actually 7 out of 17 league matches.

However Craigan being frozen out from the team more or less coincided with the arse falling out our season, culminating in the embarrassing 6-1 defeat by Rangers.

Craigan was brought back after that, for what turned out to be Gannon's last match in charge, the absolutely dire humping at Fir Park from St. Johnstone.

Reynolds and Hateley were the only players to start every league game under Gannon.

That must be why I didn't like the cunt!

Don't kid yourself, you bought into the early season optimism like the rest of us. It didn't pan out as we hoped but it looked promising. I liked his idea of blooding the youngsters and giving them time to learn on the job. If he could have found a way of doing that without alienating others at the club, it could have worked out a lot differently.

No respecter of sacred cows.

Always questioning the authorities

Giving young players a chance.

It was his way or you were out.

Sounds a lot like Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen to me...

Secondly he did play Reynolds and Craigan together on a number of occasions, actually 7 out of 17 league matches.

reynolds would have been playing at left back or midfield in a few of those games, definitely at mcdiarmid and at home to killie.

subbing craigan off at halftime when we were 0-0 against ten men accies and putting hateley to centrehalf was a good one.