Motherwell V Hearts 19/10/13

Yabba's Turd

Other than the Celtic game I think Hollis has done better than expected with some really good saves to keep us in games or win points. He doesn't have the commanding presence of Randolph but we knew that. Neilsen doesn't seem to have it either and in the few times I've seen him I've not seen anything to suggest he's much better.

Neilsen may well be first choice keeper by the end of the season but I don't think Hollis deserves to be dropped yet.

As far as I'm concerned Randolph is the best goalkeeper we've had since I started watching us in 1982!

Hollis should not be compared to Randolph either negatively or positively.

Is he as good as Ruddy, Randolph etc, probably not but I have no complaint about his performances so far this season, although I admit I was away last weekend and didn't bother watching the Celtic highlights.

Even if he did, that's one match.

If Hollis plays all season do we give him a new contract (and a pay rise) or try and get a better keeper in. It's a grim thought that Hollis could be our first choice keeper for years.

If he plays all season that means he's played well enough not to be dropped so how does that possibly equate to a grim thought? :blink:

Is that back? That cavalry trumpet was around years ago!

Played it for the first time today just before the corner that Hutch scored from.....

Great result today, should have been clear by more but all credit to Hearts they defended resolutely until wee Moore scored an absolute worldy....

First touch and boom into the roof of the net from 20 yards.. outstanding 10 seconds after coming on.

Thought we put them under a lot of pressure from set pieces and was good to score, the quality of Vigurs deliveries was exceptional. I personally thought he came onto a great game 2nd half, gave the ball away a few times overall mind you but his touch and skill is great to watch, almost all of our passing moves came thru him.

Lasley had an outstanding game aswell and again I though Ramsden was decent.

Big Gunnar also played solid enough and had no chance at their deflected goal.

Good three points and a good game..

Oooh special mention for another absolute holocaust of a referee..... him and his bumbling lino's where awful.

Really enjoyed that today. Our rivalry with Hearts has gradually subsided in recent years but I felt today was a return to the old times.

The game was always going to be a struggle without McFadden and Ainsworth but we got there. Vigurs showed signs of improvement and we were a handful from corners.

Delighted for Moore, boy has been chapping at the bit for an opportunity.

vigurs had a good game ?????? that must have been for hertz cause he kept giving them the ball back.an under 15 full back would give him a run for his money he is a one trick pony who cuts in to his left peg ALL the time , i hope he comes good , but just now ...... pants

He was our most creative player!!. He did give it away but grew into the game 2nd half and played well, considering he isn't a right winger.

Far from pants!!!

• Like 1

Hearts have a young side, however, they have shown that they are capable of scrapping for survival points. I reckon a minimum of two goals will be required to secure all three points and anything less will result in a draw.

I'll go for 2-1 to the Well.

I need to start gambling as for the first time in my life I have been getting a few predictions right. laugh.gif

The three points were no less than we deserved in the end I felt. For a good while they didn't look like they'd be coming our way so in a sense that makes it all the sweeter.

The first half was pretty non-descript save for Nielsen's double save right before half-time and a referee who looked pretty clueless. I think it was 35 minutes before their keeper had anything resembling a save to make.

Much, much better in the second half however. Took the game to them from the off and we looked particularly threatening from the increasing number of corners we were earning.

There was a very brief and curious change of momentum when Hutchy was loose with a pass and they wasted what was a decent chance and having done the square root of fuck all for the previous 15 minutes, within about a minute of that Hearts had stolen the lead with a quite fortunate deflected goal.

In recent years I've commented frequently about the character of the team and again you can't help but praise the mentality that's instilled in them these days. Dominating the game, chances being cleared off the line, denied a penalty and then conceding a deflected goal. Lesser minds could easily put it down to luck being against us today but like they've done on plenty of occasions we managed to dig in and turn it around.

Wonderful goal from Craig Moore to equalise and after that with the bit between our teeth it was a case of wearing them down and getting that deserved winner.

Some good displays in that second half. Anier upped his game and his movement caused Hearts problems. Vigurs too came on to a good game. I had commented to my mate in the first half that at times he looks the perfect player to have in your team when you are 3-0 up and looking to showboat but he seemed to intensify his workrate, concentrate on the basics and he looked much the better, and contributed much more for it.

A hard earned but fully deserved three points.

• Like 3

Good comeback again today. Seem to only start playing when we go a goal down at fir park.

Lasley, vigurs and Ramsden all outstanding and our other 3 defenders looked comfy most of the day.

Poor performances by angol and carswell. Carswell needs to be rested. He's a decent player but he's done very little in the last few games. Time to give Lawson a run and see what he can offer. Givin him the odd 20mins isn't going to make him a better player.

Any win against Hearts is a good one, and today was no exception. We made it harder than was strictly necessary, but that's just a Motherwell thing! Magnificent strike from Moore to dig us out a wee hole, at that point it looked like it was going to be one of those days.

I'll take 2-1 every week!

Thought the first half was quite poor, neither team looked to have much quality and chances were few and far between. We probably had the best of it in terms of possession and opportunities on goal but we had to rely on Nielsen making two very good saves right before half time. Apart from that though I don't remember him having very much to do.

Second half was much better, Vigurs started to play and with his touch and vision he gave us something extra that we hadn't had before. We had about 4 good chances before the inevitable happened and Hearts scored with I think their only shoot on target in the second half, a deflected one at that.

Have to say I feared the worst at that point but cue Craig Moore and his amazing introduction. On about 15 seconds and hits what will probably be our goal of the season! Absolutely superb strike.

After that the momentium was ours and although Hearts looked dangerous on the break, mainly down to our own defence getting stretched out and some poor passing, I felt the winner was coming.

Though Anier and Francis-Angol were disappointing today but others stepped up to the plate. Lasley and Carswell were excellent and Vigurs probably had his best half so far. Also lets hope Moore shows more of the same.

We have now won 7 of the last 8 league matches at Fir Park, touch wood we can continue that excellent record.