Motherwell V St Johnstone 1/1/14

GazzyB

That was really enjoyable today. As others have said, we could have scored even more. No real failures in the side. Do I think we'll finish second? No, but Stuart McCall has proved me wrong before.

He and the players deserve enormous credit. Having lost six "first picks" in the summer, it was always going to take time for the team to click. Now it's showing signs of happening, we should finish top six, I'd say probably fourth or fifth...

Obviously Ainsworth has made a big difference recently but watching the game today, it struck me how much we owe to John Sutton. Not everyone's cup of tea but while things weren't clicking earlier in the season, his habit of sticking away a chance kept us picking up points. Is it a coincidence that Higdon is the player that I've heard the least number of fans say we're missing? Obviously Hateley probably comes into that category, but I think it shows the kind of season both Ramsden and Sutton are having. I just don't think big John Handsome gets the credit he deserves from some of our support...

• Like 3

excellent performance and can really only echo whats already been said

was nice to see Carsy sending Dan over to the supporters - a well deserved send off

will be interesting to see what McCall chooses to do GK wise, with Hollis still carrying an injury, it looks as if Nielsen will be given the nod

I just checked the Dundee FC player profies, including Dan the man, they have 5 GKs on their books - surely we could ask to extend the loan until the end of the season? However if we were to do this? What would it mean for Hollis/Nielsen? I'm guessing they wouldnt be happy - and can we afford to have unhappy players at the club?

And lastly, was nice to see, what seemed like the full east stand on their feet before the end of the game for a "stand up for the motherwell" - the players thoroughly deserved that one

#SIWY

I think a good number of posters are thoroughly scunnered with match threads. It's great to see folk enjoying the good results and good to see that rage, has moved through grudging praise to high unequivocal praise.

Folk don't know what to do with themselves when the performances are so good.

Maybe a few are embarrassed about comments posted a few short weeks ago and are perhaps just lying low.

I fall into that category Steve I'm often wrong but I'm not Embarrassed about giving an opinion about football. Fair play tae McCall and the players who have been great since the Celtic game. For me though the season is over top six secured but out of both cups what is tae play for ,a Euro place where we lose money can't score a goal and go out after one game. I know most will disagree with that but recent crowds show others might be feeling that way.

• Like 3

Magnificent performance, every single player excelled and it was a joy to watch. Couldn't pick a man of the match as everyone really was that good.

I'd like to see McManus's volley again. Would be an embarrassing mistake if the ref/linesman got that wrong just like the Hibs game last season. Nae excuses. At least it didnt prove costly.

I actually thought St Johnstone looked quite good and it wasn't until we scored our 3rd that I sorted of started to relax!

Can't stand Murray Davidson and Fraser Wright and no surprise both of them get n quite a few cynical fouls. Pair of dirty gets.

Wonder what will happen to the goalie? Would be a shame if he left and the run ended. Obviously. Is it a coincidence this great run has coincided with a confident and capable keeper in goals?

Only downside of yesterday was the crowd. Really really poor. If we want to keep Ainsworth, Anier etc then folk are going to have to turn up. The cup exit is in the past, the players and management have responded wonderfully, it's time for the fans to do their bit. I don't buy the "money, time of year, other options" excuses. Every other clubs fans are just the same yet we've probably got the worst crowds in the league.

Anyway, good times.

I fall into that category Steve I'm often wrong but I'm not Embarrassed about giving an opinion about football. Fair play tae McCall and the players who have been great since the Celtic game. For me though the season is over top six secured but out of both cups what is tae play for ,a Euro place where we lose money can't score a goal and go out after one game. I know most will disagree with that but recent crowds show others might be feeling that way.

What a utterly miserable outlook you have.

• Like 3

I just checked the Dundee FC player profies, including Dan the man, they have 5 GKs on their books - surely we could ask to extend the loan until the end of the season? However if we were to do this? What would it mean for Hollis/Nielsen? I'm guessing they wouldnt be happy - and can we afford to have unhappy players at the club?

Twardzik is 3rd choice at Dundee so I don't think they would be difficult to deal with if we wanted to try and extend the loan. It would surely benefit everyone, us, Dundee and the player himself.

Like most things though it will probably come down to finances and the fact that only 3,763 were at the game yesterday speaks volumes about our income.

Look at the difference between prize money for 2nd and 6th and tell me the season is over.

Sure we lost money in Europe this year due to where we had to travel to. I would guess St Johnstone made a profit. Luck of the draw, but European football raises the clubs profile which is also vital for attracting sponsors. Given our poor cup runs every penny is vital to maintaining the incredible success our club has enjoyed in recent years. I agree the home crowds are disappointing but if the team continue to play as they have in the last 3 games Im sure that will pick up again. The fact that we had 1595 at Firhill shows that there is not a total apathy towards the team.

1. £2,405,000

2. £1,718,000

3. £1,460,000

4. £1,289,000

5. £1,203,000

6. £1,117,000

• Like 1

Glass half empty??

Im looking at it excited by the performances in the last 3games. Its no secret we were dire to watch in the first few months of the season (despite picking up points). Now it would appear we are clicking and starting to play the right way. If the team entertain us as they did yesterday for the rest of the season, i certainly wont be complaining.

Obviously Ainsworth has made a big difference recently but watching the game today, it struck me how much we owe to John Sutton. Not everyone's cup of tea but while things weren't clicking earlier in the season, his habit of sticking away a chance kept us picking up points.

It baffles me that anyone can think Sutton is anything other than a top quality SPL striker. He was prolific for us in his last spell here, as he's been at almost all his other clubs, and so far this season he has a 50% strike rate which most clubs only dream of. Too many people's judgement simply clouded by the fact he left us to go and play for Hearts for a bit, I fear.

It baffles me that anyone can think Sutton is anything other than a top quality SPL striker. He was prolific for us in his last spell here, as he's been at almost all his other clubs, and so far this season he has a 50% strike rate which most clubs only dream of. Too many people's judgement simply clouded by the fact he left us to go and play for Hearts for a bit, I fear.

I never wanted to see suttom leave in the 1st place and it is immensely pleasing to see him perfroming as if he was never away. His style is often awkward but the fact is that give him chance and he will stick them away more often than not.

Delighted with the performance yesterday. It was a hugely enjoyable game and St Johnstone did their bit. I would also like to see the McManus chance again. It says something that the whole crowd celebrated a goal, but tellingly the players themselves never complained too much. Hopefully sportscene will clarify it, although I doubt it as they will have a 30 minute chugfest over Aberdeen v United.

Like all who were at the game I wish more fans would turn up. We KNOW they are out there, but the last 2 games have been scintillating stuff. The ICT game is a 12:45 KO and live on Sky. Would love there to be over 5000 there but doubt we will break 4000 once again. Any wonder we cannot afford to keep Twardzik, even if Dundee were prepared to let him go..

Let's hope we can keep it up on Saturday against ICT.:cheers:

My feelings too. For me the season ended when we whimpered out of the Scottish Cup with the Albion Rovers debacle. We're not going to get relegated and we're not going to win the league and regardless of whether we finish 2nd, 6th or 9th we make losses regardless or so we're told. I couldn't care less about qualifying for Europe because as you say all that equates to for us is a two game bit of fluff at the start of the season against some no mark side, whom we can't even register a shot at goal against.

I would much rather finish 6th or lower and be the winners of one of the domestic cups, like St.Mirren last season, Killie and Hearts the season before, because at the end of the day that is why I support Mofherwell...for excitement and in the faint hope that one day we will repeat 1991. I know for a fact that I am not alone in that too. Other clubs of similar stature have lifted silverware in recent years so that proves that it can be done and I want nothing more than to see us do likewise.

I take nothing away from our 2nd placed finish last season and thoroughly enjoyed the football we played in the second half of the season and likewise this run we are on just now, but it's tinged with frustration that yet again we only click once out of the cups.

Maybe next year...

We cany win a cup = season over!!

Why do you guys support Motherwell again?

We all want to see the team lift silverwear but if winning a cup (or not) is the be all and end all of your season then toddle off to Glasgow, you get a choice and guaranteed silverwear

I'm not interested in watching another club win silverware, I want to see MOTHERWELL win silverware.

Winning one of the cups is not necessarily the be all and end all, as if we were actually capable of challenging for the league title or were involved in the relegation dogfight then that would be hugely important to us. However this season neither was ever going to apply to us but the league cup was opening right out for us and we bottled it against Aberdeen and then lost in the Scottish Cup to Albion Rovers. Those were two major short comings in our season.

I will continue to support Motherwell for as long as I and the club are still here and I do not expect to see us win anything ever again, but I hope we do. It's always a slim chance for us but there's always the chance nonetheless.

The season is a write off bbecause we are out the cups? Would you switch positions with st mirren who have been rid rotten for years but won the diddy cup?

Sorry but you're depressive, deluded & clearly at the wind up.

It's no wind up, and in answer to your question, yes I would swap places with St.Mirren in that I'd take a League Cup win over qualifying for Europe any day of the week.

• Like 1

Only downside of yesterday was the crowd. Really really poor. If we want to keep Ainsworth, Anier etc then folk are going to have to turn up. The cup exit is in the past, the players and management have responded wonderfully, it's time for the fans to do their bit. I don't buy the "money, time of year, other options" excuses. Every other clubs fans are just the same yet we've probably got the worst crowds in the league.

There was a crowd of approx 11000 for a Europa cup tie,mainly Well fans , a few years ago, so the potential is there. I couldn't go yesterday due to family commitments, so as long as we arrange games on New Years Day , play football in dead of winter, play 2 home games in a row,ask people to travel long distances on public holidays etc etcCredit to the people who showed up yesterday but nowadays Scottish football is going to have to sell itself better, the days of blind loyalty are probably in the past.

I can see how people think the season is over with a handful of games to play, but if we lose our next 3 or 4 on the bounce we could be struggling for a top 6 spot. It's that tight in the league right now.

However, for me, the main aspect of any season is getting some entertainment - especially for a club like ours. Of course it's disappointing that we are out both cups this season, but I'll happily watch games like we have had over the festive period where results and performances mattered and we came out on top.

Even more interesting this season is the rebuilding process. It has not been easy to replace the guys we lost - from arguably the best keeper in recent years to our top goalscorer. To watch McCall bring in the new faces and try and work out the tactics that are going to bring out the best from them has been both frustrating and, recently, rewarding.

When I was watching us doss around in the relegation battles (and missing out on going down thanks to Falkirk's stadium), I never thought I'd see the day fans were complaining the season was over because all we had to play for was to see if we could finish 2nd in the league in consecutive seasons.

It's a massive challenge for the board to get more people in the ground. For me they've tried lots of things and we haven't yet found the solution. I know they have given away a number of free tickets to schools etc for this weekend so will be interesting to see what the crowd is. It coudl be over 5000 but that won't mean extra revenue coming in.

I think McCall and the team are doing all they can on the pitch - they can't do any more league wise!