Celtic V Motherwell 18/1/14

Yabba's Turd

I will never like a keeper who insists on punching and palming shots when gathering it in is a better if slightly trickier option.

All those who bemoaned Hollis at the end of August and called for Gunnar's inclusion, any red faces?

I don't disagree, but people on here were raving over what a fantastic keeper Twardzik was and he was of the punching/palming variety.

Going to be a frustrating afternoon by the sounds of it,

Seems a ridiculous defensive setup in the face of the free scoring champions

a measure of our small budget and squad, or McCalls refusal to play reserve squad players we'll not really know

I hope like St Mirren and Partick where we had similar stupid defence positioning choices, the attacking threat can lift us out of the mire.

its his choice and works out more than not, so he keeps more praise over the minor criticism, but Hammy at RB in a defensive role hasn't worked before, lets hope his ability to deliver crosses, bails us out.

we'll get chances, just wonder if we'll score more than they do?

I don't disagree, but people on here were raving over what a fantastic keeper Twardzik was and he was of the punching/palming variety.

Twardzik no doubt benefited joining a team where the two results prior to his arrival were awful, that in turn spurred on a few under-performers to start showing why we signed them, against sides mostly in the bottom half of the table and no doubt aided by the fact that Hollis haters quickly added Gunnar to their repertoire so anyone new was going to be welcomed.

He didn't have the physical presence in goal I'd become accustomed to (granted we were spoiled with Ruddy and Randy). I didn't see the penalty decision, was he at fault?

When you build a team and its tactics on open expansive play, it's no surprise that they can't switch to more negative tactics a couple of times a season.

I can somewhat understand it in a Euro game against superior opposition (although I don't necessarily agree with it), but in a league game when only 3 points are at stake, just go and play the style that has been picking up points and see what happens.

• Like 1

I can somewhat understand it in a Euro game against superior opposition (although I don't necessarily agree with it), but in a league game when only 3 points are at stake, just go and play the style that has been picking up points and see what happens.

Like it or not McCall explained in his pre match chat on the BBC why he doesn’t set his team out this way against Celtic. Personally I would just have a go.

We don't need to say much about it tho.

It's all about next week

Agree arguably our biggest game of the season thus far next week. (Aberdeen at firpark) Another poor result against Celtic but with Aberdeen losing at home tae Inverness and Dundee United continuing to free fall with another bad result at Ross county ,all in all no that bad a day after all. Edit. And I see St jston dropped 2 points after conceding two late goals tae Hearts.

Like it or not McCall explained in his pre match chat on the BBC why he doesn’t set his team out this way against Celtic. Personally I would just have a go.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

If he could identify the points we had picked up at Parkhead and Ibrox using this strategy, then there would be some justification. It has, however, been a demonstrable failure.

I gave up watching around the time the third goal went in but from what I saw we certainly weren't awful. At 1-0 and 2-0 Sutton and Faddy respectively both missed golden chances from less than 10 yards out. You score them who knows but you can't miss chances like that at Celtic Park and expect to come away with anything.

Nor can you defend like we did and expect to get anything. Always the same, miss good chances and gift cheap goals away down the other end. A real shitter today but Aberdeen and Dundee United both losing was a real bonus.

Aberdeen next week is a massive game, should be a cracker.

But the formation and tactics that were imposed on them were still negative.

all we did was rattle long balls up at mcfadden and sutton which was hopeless. beyond that i didn't see much evidence of tactics.

the formation was positive with two up top and ainsworth and vigurs playing their usual games.

That is Celtic out the way for us anyway. No ground lost on Aberdeen and United. Even Hibs lost and St J picked up only the one point.

All in all it could have been a lot worse. Don't like losing but hardly surprising.

Celtic scored 3 goals today, but so did Ross County, St Mirren FFs.......

We move on - BIG game next week.