Years Since A Scottish Cup Win (Ouch)

Browni

Aye, it makes painful reading and is really starting to hit home even more how much our chance may have gone during these years of sustained league success when you see the dross that has picked up cups in recent years.

I fear we will never win a cup ever again!!

Aye, it makes painful reading and is really starting to hit home even more how much our chance may have gone during these years of sustained league success when you see the dross that has picked up cups in recent years.

I fear we will never win a cup ever again!!

Seems like the answer is to return to being dross.

I waited a long time to see us win a Cup and, to be honest, when I did see it, one the reasons I was so happy was because I wasn't sure I'd be lucky enough to see it again. (Not because I'm an auld fart, but because I experienced so many disappointments in the 21 seasons prior to 91).

I think a lot of is would feel perversely better about the situation if there was an Old Firm monopoly on trophies but the amount of utter, utter shite that lifted big chunks of silver above their heads over the past two decades, when we've arguably been the third best team in the country during the same period is mind-boggling and utterly depressing.

• Like 1

BBC...

Stuart McCall jealous at Aberdeen's Cup celebrations

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall admits he could not bring himself to watch Aberdeen's League Cup celebrations.

The Fir Park men have found it difficult to replicate their consistent league form in the domestic cups.

McCall had a tinge of jealousy as Aberdeen lifted the trophy with a penalty shoot-out win over Inverness.

He said: "As soon as the final penalty went in, I switched the telly over to the Arsenal-Tottenham match because I didn't want to watch the celebrations."

McCall led the Steelmen to the 2011 Scottish Cup final, but his side were defeated 3-0 by Celtic at Hampden.

Since then, the Lanarkshire club have experienced early exits in the cup competitions, not least to 10-man Aberdeen in this season's League Cup.

"It still hurts that we lost that quarter-final to Aberdeen," said McCall. "It's not sour grapes. I felt we had a good goal disallowed and they defended ever so well with 10 men.

"There was a little tad of jealously there. I thought I'd done well watching the game.

"We want to get to finals, that's what we want to do, but we've just got to focus on finishing as high up the league as we can."

We have no right to silverware, in 91 we were jammy as fuck, some great performances, but all the moaning about it is fucking chronic.

Ouch...

I think we all feel that watching an average Aberdeen side win silverware and potentially 2 trophies is frustrating given our consistent league form. McCall is saying what most of us are feeling.

I had no axe to grind with Aberdeen FC at all before they poached 2 of our managers. As it happens it worked out better for us, but we were not to know that at the time. Now I would have jumped for joy if Caley

hac won the game/penalties. Not bitter just how I feel.

Ouch...

I think we all feel that watching an average Aberdeen side win silverware and potentially 2 trophies is frustrating given our consistent league form. McCall is saying what most of us are feeling.

I had no axe to grind with Aberdeen FC at all before they poached 2 of our managers. As it happens it worked out better for us, but we were not to know that at the time. Now I would have jumped for joy if Caley had won the game/penalties. Not bitter just how I feel.

I was gutted when we were put out the cup and any time previous as well, we weren't good enough on the day. Aberdeen winning the League cup has little effect on me, unlike the final we lost to Celtic which is pretty much the biggest boot in the balls this century, followed by 3 defeats at the hands of Rangers.

It’s also good to know that he is hurting as much as the fans at our lack of cup success. Roll on next season. :)

Why is it good to know? Do you think itll change anything? Next season he will say "weve learned from our mistakes" "were really up for this" etc etc then we will go out of both cups in the first round again after total clusterfucks. Its the McCall way

• Like 1

I'd rather be a Dosser than a Hibee reading that table, though.

In fairness to them while their Scottish Cup record is the worst of the worst they did manage to lift the League Cup as recently as 2007, something which we've not had a sniff of.

It makes for galling reading those statistics as they prove that the silverware is there to be won by clubs such as us and especially as we had probably the best side out with the big two in the past two seasons and got nowhere near cup glory. Unfortunately we lack the character and bottle to be a good cup side as you need to raise your game on the day but that is lost on us and we have been badly let down in recent times by the manager and the players in that respect.

I too fear that we will never win the cup again as our best opportunity was these past couple of years with us having a strong side while Rangers were out the picture and the likes of Aberdeen were toiling badly. Now the Dons have got it right on the pitch, likewise Dundee Utd and Sevco will be in the top flight in two seasons time spending money they don't have, so I really don't see where we will get such a good and realistic chance of silverware again anytime soon.