Motherwell V Inverness Ct 16/08/14

Yabba's Turd

The wee golden era we've had and enjoyed in the league over the last few years really does seem to be crashing and burning now. Was to be expected but still hurts now it is actually happening.

You've come to that conclusion after three games? A bit quick off the mark in my opinion. Let's see where we are at Christmas, eh?

I would agree David if it wasn't for the way we are getting beat. Teams are beating us pretty comfortably just now. How many chances did we have on goal today at home, very few. When our top goal scorer and main threat is subbed it says a lot. Maybe most won't agree, it's early doors as you say but if we had been close possession wise, tackles flying in and a few shots on goal I would agree but the fight is not there compared to last season.

Embarrassing, rudderless, unfit.

Worryingly accurate. We look drastically unfit and have done since the beginning of last season. We got away with it in several matches last year and again last weekene but today we've not been so lucky. We need McCall to step up to the plate and find a plan B.

that was a sair yin right from the teamsheet being released.

no midfield, then no width against five, game over

two senior players who had less movement than the flagpoles, staying on the pitch for far too long.

and then Vigurs the winger....

its fair to say the extra ten fans that showed up this week will probably no come back.....

The first half was an absolutely woeful. The worst I've seen us in a long, long time. It reminded me of the Kevin Christie era performances where we didn't even look like a professional football team. Our positional awareness was terrible, we could not keep the ball, the movement was poor, everyone had their head down and no one was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

The second half we improved slightly but not enough to ever look likely to score a goal.

There are two points I want to make about the game today.

1 - Our formation was all wrong today. I didn't see how we lined up against Dundee Utd but against St. Mirren we played our standard 4-4-2 and St. Mirren dominated the midfield by having 5 in there.

Today we played a sort of 4-3-3/4-5-1 style formation, presumably to stop us being dominated in the middle of the field and it was a complete disaster. The poor young lad Ferguson isn't good enough for this level right now but he was hung out to dry by not having a midfielder in front of him.

2 - I've seen us three times now this season and every game we've been technically poorer than the opposition. St. Mirren and Inverness have passed us off the park in the space of a week, while we constantly give the ball away. Even Stjarnan were better than us. People are talking about our fitness, well our basic technique is well below where it should be.

A big improvement against Kilmarnock is essential our else it might well set the pattern for the season.

Where to start? Tactics were wrong. Anyone persevering with only two central midfielders is going to struggle in the modern game. Is that why our technique and fitness looks as bad? Hard to take a touch and find a pass when they have an extra man closing you down? And given we spend so much time chasing the ball, no wonder we look knackered?

Whether it's the tactics, technique or fitness or all three, we'll need to figure it out fast. Losing becomes a habit.

Trying to look for a positive from the game, at least Kerr seems to know what he's doing at centre back. Hopefully the right wing experiment is over...

Have to totally agree with these posts awfull first half and slightly less awfull 2nd half. Only plus was Kerr played ok and good to see Ojamma back. Ferguson the left back??? :doh: . Lasley's having a severe drop in form too as is Ainsworth. Really outplayed in midfield at times Caley had acres of space and ages on the ball uncontested. Worrying at times how pish we were. :blink:

We got what we deserved from that game today... Feck all that was as comfortable a 3 points as ICT will get all season. OK we have a few players out but we have no shape no goal threat and look unfit. It can only improve, hope it's soon, time for SMC to earn his wages a day get the team stable and playing like a team.

Where to start? Tactics were wrong. Anyone persevering with only two central midfielders is going to struggle in the modern game. Is that why our technique and fitness looks as bad? Hard to take a touch and find a pass when they have an extra man closing you down? And given we spend so much time chasing the ball, no wonder we look knackered?

Whether it's the tactics, technique or fitness or all three, we'll need to figure it out fast. Losing becomes a habit.

Trying to look for a positive from the game, at least Kerr seems to know what he's doing at centre back. Hopefully the right wing experiment is over...

I agree mostly but as far as I could see we had three central midfielders today.

Law and Lasley were the central midfielders, Carswell was playing behind them and Ainsworth and Erwin were out wide.

Have to totally agree with these posts awfull first half and slightly less awfull 2nd half. Only plus was Kerr played ok and good to see Ojamma back. Ferguson the left back??? :doh: . Lasley's having a severe drop in form too as is Ainsworth. Really outplayed in midfield at times Caley had acres of space and ages on the ball uncontested. Worrying at times how pish we were. :blink:

A bit harsh on Ferguson on the boy was constantly left exposed with no cover in front of him, I don't think he is ready for the 1st team yet but showed some good touches in 2nd half. He needed protection and got none

• Like 2

I agree mostly but as far as I could see we had three central midfielders today.

Law and Lasley were the central midfielders, Carswell was playing behind them and Ainsworth and Erwin were out wide.

Law seemed to be all over the place. Seemed to be playing almost between Erwin and Ferguson at times.

I gather Ferguson plays right back for the under 20s. Who plays left back for them? Is he that bad that we'd rather play an under 20 out of position?

Worst performance I've seen at Fir Park for a good 10 years!! Utterly Rotten!!

Could only really give pass marks to McManus and I thought Erwin did well considering McCall had him playing in 3 different positions in the duration of the match!!

I anticipate a very long and frustrating season!!

The writing was on the wall when the team was announced and our best midfielder from Wednesday night was dropped. Shameful.

The whole team looks a mixture of uninterested, unfit and unsure what to do!There's no movement or purpose from any of them.

Is ferguson a left back? If not then why not play an actual left back at left back? He had a horror show but it wasn't entirely his fault when he had no one showing for any type of pass when he had the ball.

It's unfair to single any one player out but we have a couple of importers in our line up at the moment who have yet to contribute anything meaningful so far this season.

Very very worrying that we can be do utterly dominated at home by a team who we should be competing with.

Buck stops with McCall.

It's a scrap down the bottom this season.

I thought Inverness were excellent by the way and were everything we weren't.

Crowd was shocking as well.

Worst performance I've seen at Fir Park for a good 10 years!! Utterly Rotten!!

Could only really give pass marks to McManus and I thought Erwin did well considering McCall had him playing in 3 different positions in the duration of the match!!

I anticipate a very long and frustrating season!!

Better watch out, Diggle will be along in a minute to patronise anyone who dares criticise the team.

• Like 2

Still trying figure out our formation today, we were all over the place, duno if it was law or erwin playing at left mid. Comments on ferguson are a bit harsh. Making your full debut in the wrong position is always going to be tough for a young boy. Never got much help from the midfield. It also looked like reid and ferguson were told to stay with their man at all times as reid was caught out of position a few times. Am just struggling to see what mccall's game plan today was.very poor indeed

Woeful display utterly woeful.

Where do you start with that. Absolutely no shape to the team whatsoever. No left sided midfielder leaving Ferguson exposed all first half.

Ainsworth total disgrace. Doesn't even look remotely interested. Sutton not much better. Both need dropped pronto.

We look so unfit its unbelievable. Caley players all looked so much bigger stronger and fitter.

Did the Caley keeper have a save to make all day? How many teams lead one nil in a game and have absolutely no pressure put on them at all even in last 10 minutes.

We should have been throwing everything at them late on. Replacing a midfielder with a midfielder with 10 minutes to go was pointless when we still had a striker on the bench.

A long season ahead.