Do We Need a New Manager?

steelboy

I've just watched McCall's interview on Youtube.

Apart from a couple of mentions of the fact that they are working "wednesday, thursday, friday" and talking about "maybe getting a 0-0 or 1-0" he was saying all the right things and by the look of him he realises the hole we're in. It was night and day from his previous post match interviews which were completely delusional.

If he wants to be the Motherwell manager he needs to up his own effort and demand a lot more from the players.

Like underboyleheating and many other WELL supporters I've lived through a few grim seasons but don't think it's the right time to change the manager. Can't think of who I would have as a new manager .Fitness ,passion,effort all lacking this season . Don't know why ,obviously money or lack of it a big factor at Fir Park this season not enabling Stuart McCall to replace those who have left, not only this season but over the past few. Don't know what people are looking for but at the very least the players should be bursting a gut for the club. Confidence boosting win needed and may help. COYW>

• Like 1

Like underboyleheating and many other WELL supporters I've lived through a few grim seasons but don't think it's the right time to change the manager. Can't think of who I would have as a new manager .Fitness ,passion,effort all lacking this season . Don't know why ,obviously money or lack of it a big factor at Fir Park this season not enabling Stuart McCall to replace those who have left, not only this season but over the past few. Don't know what people are looking for but at the very least the players should be bursting a gut for the club. Confidence boosting win needed and may help. COYW>

This.

In answer to the thread title question, yes we do need a new manager but that is the least of what we need. We as a club, on and off the park are a sinking ship and need drastic overhaul at all levels. Who is making the big decisions now that Dempster has moved on? What are the plans should the Well Society fail (as it looks like it will)? What about our non existent youth structure which is simply not producing players? All of this needs addressed or we will only go one way as a club and that is down the way.

I appreciate the sentiment, and I agree that there is no obvious successor, but realistically, were McGhee, Gannon, Brown or McCall logical successors, or did we think outwith the horrible, shite stained box which most SPL teams recruit from and actually boost our prospects from there, through nothing bar some basic invention?

I agree, the players selected should be bursting a gut, but the buck stops with the manager as regards piss poor motivation. His men, his poor formation, his unbalanced squad, his folly.

I appreciate the sentiment, and I agree that there is no obvious successor, but realistically, were McGhee, Gannon, Brown or McCall logical successors, or did we think outwith the horrible, shite stained box which most SPL teams recruit from and actually boost our prospects from there, through nothing bar some basic invention?

There's about 100 full time clubs in the UK and far more men that want to be managers than jobs. With McGhee, Gannon, Brown and McCall the club were able to identify what we needed and bring in the right candidate

If we have to find a new manager it's an opportunity not a problem.

• Like 1

There's about 100 full time clubs in the UK and far more men that want to be managers than jobs. With McGhee, Gannon, Brown and McCall the club were able to identify what we needed and bring in the right candidate

If we have to find a new manager it's an opportunity not a problem.

As long as we treat it as an opportunity and that the recent pattern of internal promotions doesn't happen where it matters most.

Direction of the club that's worth a whole thread in itself but going by what Derek Weir said in the past backed up by comments from the Well Society about a November deadline for reaching the next stage of funding, some time in the next month or so would appear to be the period where we begin to have some welcome clarity.

Youth development? When did we restructure and go down the "Motherwell Academy" route at Braidhurst. I must confess I'm not so clued up as to the timeline of events and what the starting point was before that, but perhaps the groundwork there has already been put in place? Perhaps we are still some years away from it bearing fruit. I don't know.

As for the bare bones of the question. For me the time isn't yet upon us for a club driven change of manager. Sometimes its harder to leave things as they are but sometimes that's for the best.

His critics will quite rightly say that he wasn't able to remedy a similar slide at Bradford. My hope when he joined, and it would appear to have been borne out, until this season at least, was that he had learned from and been a better manager as a consequence of those experiences at Bradford.

His critics will say with more than a little justification he has shown little evidence of learning from things that haven't gone his way at Motherwell - the hugely disspriting cup defeats for example - but again my hope would be that he learns from these current painful experiences and that somehow both club and manager come out of it stronger in the longer term as a result. We have players tied up on two year deals ofcourse but get through this and there remains a fair bit of scope for re-shaping the squad come the summer.

At the moment though I don't think he's lost the dressing room. The quality has been utter shite on plenty of occasions, no question, but we haven't been chucking it in games. We were still chasing things when a couple of goals down against Accies, at Firhill and again today.

Whilst they are still battling away, however grimly, and we aren't detached, there's a bit of life and hope there yet for me.

• Like 1

I'm totally scunnered with the entire thing. I suppose the default option in these situations is to punt the man at the top, but realistically, how much will that actually change with the squad that we've got?

It's painfully obvious that we just don't have the resources to adequately replace what we lose each summer (whether that's Faddy/Hutch/Nicky Law/whoever). There are a variety of reasons for this that have been well covered in here. From my own viewpoint, we're a side that have ridden our luck in terms of 'general misfortune' over the past couple of years, and even when we've been playing badly we've at least looked like there is a degree of invention within the team that could create something.

This season has a totally different feel. Many of us thought that last year would be a struggle after losing so much over that summer, but we pulled performances out the bag in the manner I mentioned above. This year however, the same players just don't seem interested. I'm not sure if it's purely down to some of the more senior players being another year further down the retirement slope, or whether we've just not been able to coax the same level of teamwork and organisation out of the new bodies that we've brought in, but it reminds me of our year under Malpas.

I do think that perhaps Stuart McCall has taken us as far as he can (a cup run or two would be nice, but that's not exactly been a strength in recent times), but I'm struggling to see how a new man would really be able to reshape things much until the summer. Sadly we don't have the means to bring in six or seven new players in January to plug the gaps.

I think McCall will be here until the summer, and we just have to hope that somehow we can get ourselves out of this. Long shot at the moment though.

we cant afford to sack him ! but if his contract is up at the end of the season ,he cannot afford / doesn't want a relegation on his cv as that would nullify his previous good seasons !! YES ? NO ?

I don't think us not getting relegation will have much to do with whether McCall wants it on his CV or not.

Direction of the club that's worth a whole thread in itself but going by what Derek Weir said in the past backed up by comments from the Well Society about a November deadline for reaching the next stage of funding, some time in the next month or so would appear to be the period where we begin to have some welcome clarity.

Youth development? When did we restructure and go down the "Motherwell Academy" route at Braidhurst. I must confess I'm not so clued up as to the timeline of events and what the starting point was before that, but perhaps the groundwork there has already been put in place? Perhaps we are still some years away from it bearing fruit. I don't know.

I keep saying it but the last two good players to come through our youth system - Jamie Murphy and Shaun Hutchinson were Mark McGhee era players.

It's just not good enough especially for a club that has to sell to survive.

Now been to 9 matches home and away this season.

Stjarnan (H) D 2-2

St.Mirren (H) W 1-0

Inverness (H) L 0-2

Kilmarnock (A) L 0-2

St.Johnstone (H) L 0-1

Hamilton (A) L 0-0 lost on pens

Hamilton (H) L 0-4

Partick (A) L 1-3

Dundee (H) L 1-3

7 defeats in a row for me. Next two matches will be Dundee Utd and Celtic.

Fuck.

I have witnessed a few grim seasons throughout my years supporting Motherwell and this spell has a familiar feel to it. As Hibs proved last season a change of manager doesn’t always solve the problem. Similar to Hibs, I believe that we have problems that go much deeper than just the manager.

well said