Do We Need a New Manager?

steelboy

Incidentally does anyone know who from the current squad is signed up for next year? As far as I know we have,

Hammell, Lasley, McManus, Reid, Carswell? Leitch?...

Hopefully good opportunity to rebuild the squad, just can't see McCall being the man to do it anymore.

On loan till Feb 2015

Henrik Ojamaa

Out of contract summer 2015

Iain Vigurs

John Sutton

Paul Lawson

Lionel Ainsworth

Simon Ramsden

Stuart Carswell

Fraser Kerr

Zaine Francis-Angol

Gunnar Nielsen

Bob McHugh

Adam Cummins

Josh Law

Ross Stewart

Out of contract summer 2016

Stephen McManus

Keith Lasley

Stevie Hammell

Craig Reid

Dan Twardzik

Craig Moore

Jack Leitch

Not on public record

Lee Erwin

Stuart Mac should explain to the Motherwell fans why he didn't think David Clarkson is good enough for us. Also what the feck goes on at training as we seem unable to run.Defend.Score goals.track midfield runners.In fact just about everything required to play and win a game of football. In fact Stuart Mac should BE FECKIN SACKED!!! :wallbash:

Reid's not been anywhere near the worst of our defenders this season.

I'm comfortable enough with him in the squad. He's not the greatest player in the world but you will get 100% from him every time, he doesn't hide and you can get a decent shift out him in front of the defence as well as full-back.

Aye and when he turns out to be decent player and leaves after 12 months for nowt youd be complaining at no getting him signed up for longer. Hes been one of our most consistant performers since he got in the first team since last year or have I been watching a different team He gives 100% every game a hell of a lot better than most of his team mates are doing at the moment

While he may not be our worst defender, the fact is we offered Reid, a player who can mainly play as a right back or centre half, a deal when we had two players (Ramsden and Kerr) under contract that also fit that description. Even if you think Reid is a better option than Ramsden, Kerr or both of them, surely with finances being tight, you would try and get one of them off the wage bill before bringing another player in for that position. Particularly when you've left yourself short of striking options...

You can call it hindsight if you want but many in the summer were complaining about an unbalanced squad. Nothing against Reid as a player but was his position really a priority this summer? By my calculations, we have eight defenders in the squad, one winger (that McCall will play) and three strikers. Still going to tell me that Reid (and indeed O'Brien) was the best use of limited resources...?

I'm a huge fan of McCall. Mind, he's still the same manager who gave us a 3rd place finish and 2 SPL runners up spots, has two numerous point tally records, turned 'useless lumps' into 20+ goals a season strikers, has highest top flight win ratio... I'm sure there is more. Aye, knock out competitions have blotted his record here but I think it's absolutely scandalous how much our fans underestimate what he's done here.

That said, I do wonder if he's the right man for the job now. I think he's certainly got the managerial skills and enough ability in the squad to turn things around and get us comfortably in the top 6. I've got absolutely no doubt he gives 100% every day.

What I do doubt though, is whether his heart is truly still in it. I believe him when he says he's not a careerist manager but job satisfaction at Motherwell must be pretty low after crowds and budgets continue to dwindle despite success on the pitch. I think he's probably a bit scunnered and Motherwell as a longer term project simply doesn't have the same appeal now, and I believe that's be rubbing off on the players.

As I said at the start, I think Mccall is on the whole a fantastic manager. But if his love for the job here has diminished, he'd be better giving someone else a crack.

He's aging, has no re-sell value,distinctly average and is, in the long run,keeping a younger player out of the team.

He's 28 and we're lucky if we have one player in the squad per season that has sell on value.

He's probably a fairly cheap player in wages, he's always put in a shift and can play in a number of positions.

I'd play him at right back in front of Ramsden who looks done since he came back from injury and I'd play him at left back before Angol.

1413723540[/url]' post='423171']

The difference between last season and this is, in my opinion, desire. Let's face it, we were rank rotten in large chunks of last season yet we had a couple of flare players who were able to dig us out of a hole and a few players who played for the jersey. Whether they were both on form or having good games was not always the issue, Hutchinson and McFadden in my mind had Motherwell fc at heart when they pulled on the jersey and there is absilutely no doubt that feeling permeated to other members of the team - they were leaders. McCall was as tactically inept then as he is now and always has been however the difference now is the squad isn't able to lead itself as perhaps it once was. Looking at things now, I would be tempted to go as far as say the smoke and mirrors who McCalls leadership skills or lack thereof are now gone and now we are seeing the results. We are rudderless.

There are quite frankly too many holes which we could pick in different areas to suggest that his position is in any way tenable.

From his quite frankly bizarre signing policies, be it in terms of age, positions etc. there have been some head scratchers. We claim to have no budget yet under McCalls tenure we have seen players like McHugh offered a long term deal and Law and Lawson brought in - whether or not they are on big money is beside the issue. As far as I'm concerned, if we are willing to plead poverty in public then the shop should be water tight in terms of the playing squad - it isn't.

The lack of youth brought into the fold is startling. Certainly this is not only McCalls issue however I maintain a manager with any form of vision should be able to integrate a couple of bright stars (or at least spot something in them) bring them into the fold and nurture them at a higher level - some young players will rise to the challenge yet we have hardly seen any given the chance.

Tactically, the less said the better. We are dated in our style of play and lets be honest at the most basic level, his substitution policies for years have baffled the shite out of everybody.

His media presence is appalling. It has to be some of the most grim, repeated nonsense since Jim Jeffries. Quite how he inspires a team is beyond me, I've now taken to turning off the radio or tv when he appears. There is a distinct lack of passion, dynamism or anything resembling spirit in anything he says to the fans - which I also maintain is contributing amongst other factors to our dwindling support.

The squad fitness is appalling. I know people seem content to say Black takes the training however to be honest I could care less. A good manager would have either booted the players up arse or black up the arse after watching us against Starjnan and nothing has improved. The buck stops with McCall, he should be controlling his staff.

I've been one of the complainers about McCall on here for years and I'm now feeling I'm being proved corrects media presence . I don't even feel smug about that, the situation is far too bleak for anyone to feel smug.

Action must be taken.

I am a SMcC fan but I have to admit if there is no change in fortunes soon , there may have to be change. Couldn't make it yesterday but the goals lost were shocking, no organisation at all .

I don't agree he is tactically inept, we wouldn't have achieved the league finishes we have, if at was the case.Of course flair players have helped us, even the best organised teams need a bit of magic, organisation etc only takes you so far

Disagree with you about his media presence too, I feel he always comes across well, pretty honest.

It may be the. End is nigh for him, for his sake and for Motherwell's

Agree with you about Jim Jeffries, he was a bit dour