Pitch Refurbishment: An Idea

Kmcalpin

I think the original idea is good - but there have been some good other points that I agree with as well.

I think as supporters we are embarassed at the state of the park - we shouldn't be but our club has made us feel that way. I think the majority would want to help in any way they could.

I think the club should do the decent thing and put right what they said they would last year.

If the supporters are contributing to something - it could maybe be for something over and above what the club have commited to do. Like an artificial sunlight / lighting rig. Ok we may not be able to afford what they have at the big stadiums - but I'm sure a smaller scale rig could be used to our advantage..

My thinking is that no matter how good a surface we lay. We will always have problems with the shadow of the south stand wrt sunlight - which hampers growth and prevents thawing.

When we repair the pitch and the USH we wont necesarrily need the covers - so the pitch wont fall apart as easily as it would this year.

Lights are probably something that all fans could get behind (as some including myself feel that there will be a bit of resistance to funding pitch repairs given the behaviour of our board) Lights would also be transferable from Fir Park to any new stadium.

If we all chip in - we could maybe let the club live up to John Boyle's promises.

Whilst I think Dave's suggestion is a good idea, the club will have to remember that they could be in for a very hard time from supporters if they go ahead with this idea and we still have a poor pitch this time next season. Pitches like Hampden and Easter Road have functioning USH systems and are still in poor nick. By creating a scheme where fans pay X amount of pounds will lead to many taking even more interest in the parks state than they currently do. A fundraiser of this nature isn't guaranteed to be a one off venture.

I'm also surprised no one from the Trust has mentioned thier aptly named "Pitch In" fund. Is this still on the go? Wouldn't this be an ideal opportunity for the Trust to organise a workable option of Dave's suggestion and show that they really can deliver something of huge value to the club and win a few new members as well?

What about the lasting memorial to phil instead of a statue or plaque we put it towards the fixing of our ground im sure phil would prefer his teammates to be playing silky footbal than a statue sitting rusting away.

Nah! I think that's two things that need to be kept completely separate.

The club is responsible for the state of the park and if people support this request,that's their choice - but many rightly have reservations - it's a contentious issue that Phil's memory should be kept out of.

With all due respect the club have a duty to our players, supporters and the rest of the league to have a decent playing surface. they are charging us week in week and through our season tickets out to watch a football match after all. they are duty bound to supply an adequate surface.

Many folk contributing to a statue of Phil will be unghappy at funds being used for what is our board / management's responsibilty.

I imagine also any statue will be bronze or something like that - something that doesn't rust :lol:

We have already paid through normal channels for a pitch to be relaid but Boyle decided that money could be used elsewhere, fucked if am paying for it again. It was meant to be done last year, therefore should already have been budgeted for, additional fundraising shouldn't be necessary, just do what was promised and stop fuckin us about with lies and half-truths.

We have already paid through normal channels for a pitch to be relaid but Boyle decided that money could be used elsewhere, fucked if am paying for it again. It was meant to be done last year, therefore should already have been budgeted for, additional fundraising shouldn't be necessary, just do what was promised and stop fuckin us about with lies and half-truths.

I don't think there's any argument against that point of view fatcalf.

Some folk still appear to want to help out wrt to the pitch - from what's been said.

My own opinion is like yourself - the pitch should be made good as was promised.

if the fans are gonna contribute something then it should be to improve on what the club has already promised - and that may be something like lights (although I've no idea on cost tho).

There's no way whatsoever that I'd support the Phil O'Donnell Memorial money being put anywhere other than where it was originally intended. As well as taking a bit of personal pride in the venture and not wanting to see it going to waste, I'd also feel as though I'd misled people and I'm not allowing that to be the case.

With regards to the Pitch In! fund, the club are fully aware that those monies are there for them, as and when they find a suitable purpose. It was ear-marked for a new disabled enclosure, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

Frazzle

how about ...you get the square metre of turf from the old pitch being ripped up ?

not great quality turf, but thats not really the point is it ??

a square meter of the old turf? aye right my kids sand pit is needing refilled!!

the club should be paying for this to be done, thats partly what your season ticket/ pay at the gate money is ment to go towards.

Did somebody no mention (artificial sunlight) lights twice :lol:

means we're no paying for what the club had promised they would do - i.e a decent surface.

but are providing something to make the new super duper johnboylespecial pitch (when it eventually does come) tip top for the entire season! - i.e a light rig

i'm in no way saying that we should not have a lasting memorial for phil, i myself would rather have something long lasting to honour him, i just thought in the current climate and how tight the well purse strings are it would be an idea, as i say i was just throwing an idea into the ring,think the sponsor a bit of the park is a better idea though.

With regards to the Pitch In! fund, the club are fully aware that those monies are there for them, as and when they find a suitable purpose. It was ear-marked for a new disabled enclosure, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

Frazzle

Should you/we/the trust not be looking to actively and vocally suggest suitable purposes to the club?!?

I.E. can the trust not go to the club and say we think the money for the Pitch in! fund should be spent on getting an artificial lighting rig for the pitch.

The club don't know their arses from their elbows quite often, so what makes you think they are going to know when something suitable pops up right in front of their noses?!?

I am giving the club feck all in regards to the pitch. They should have fixed this in the summer and they didn't so to expect me to raise money for the clubs mistakes is a no no.

Anyway I am starting to like our wee 'sand trap' - the more we get used to it then the more chance we have against other teams.

Roll on Europe - would love to play Juventus on that park! Ibrahimavic will shite himself!

I am giving the club feck all in regards to the pitch. They should have fixed this in the summer and they didn't so to expect me to raise money for the clubs mistakes is a no no.

Anyway I am starting to like our wee 'sand trap' - the more we get used to it then the more chance we have against other teams.

Roll on Europe - would love to play Juventus on that park! Ibrahimavic will shite himself!

If i said that i would be banned

I was thinking that watching the game yesterday. The players are expecing the big mockit bounce and are adjusting their game to suit while the opposition are still greetin about it.

Could the shoddy pitch be making Fir Park even harder to come to? I think so!

There's a lot of pyschology involved. I remember Jack Nicklaus saying that when he heard players complaining about a golf course the day before a tournament he could discount them as challengers. It's similar thing here. Sure, the pitch is bad and you will get some bad bounces, but as one of the papers pointed out today, a lot of the problems are down to poor technique from the players.

Have a look at beach football on Youtube to see what decent players can do on a rutted sandy surface.

The park is shocking - no doubt about it!

I have a rather radical idea...

Get it fixed now as we haven't got another scheduled home game until 14th March - and we could even look into possibility of playing that game on a Cup weekend as both ourselves and United are out. That would take us to 4th April, so plenty of time. If we ain't got the staff I'm sure we could get a few extra cons from Shotts prison to help out?!

Then we can bring back the flowing attacking football from last season and push for a good finish, stop teams whinning like skelped weans and

Yeah we might have an advantage by playing on the park, but I fear another game could be called off before the end of the season resulting in our fine. Plus the risk of injury is greater, and the quality of the football has greatly diminished.

The park is shocking - no doubt about it!

I have a rather radical idea...

Get it fixed now as we haven't got another scheduled home game until 14th March - and we could even look into possibility of playing that game on a Cup weekend as both ourselves and United are out. That would take us to 4th April, so plenty of time. If we ain't got the staff I'm sure we could get a few extra cons from Shotts prison to help out?!

Then we can bring back the flowing attacking football from last season and push for a good finish, stop teams whinning like skelped weans and

Yeah we might have an advantage by playing on the park, but I fear another game could be called off before the end of the season resulting in our fine. Plus the risk of injury is greater, and the quality of the football has greatly diminished.

Only problem with that is. . .we need to go way below the surface to fix the problems.

Like has been said many man times - this is more than just rolling out a new layer of turf.

We need to fix the damaged pipes and permanently address the problems with the drainage.

Only problem with that is. . .we need to go way below the surface to fix the problems.

Like has been said many man times - this is more than just rolling out a new layer of turf.

We need to fix the damaged pipes and permanently address the problems with the drainage.

I know what it entails - but surely it can be done by a team of engineers over a week or so? That would give us a month to relay the park heading into spring. Before the April 4th game. I doubt very much that it would happen, but I'm fed up being the target of ever clubs rants of late and the club could easily pull this off - maybe not for the Dundee Ut game, but most definately for the Aberdeen game. And surely the SPL and United would be accomodating in rearranging the fixture due to it's implications.