Ross County V Motherwell14/02/15

Yabba's Turd

Then he posted his managers email where he explained his tactics and reasons behind his decision making. I read it and I thought "well that makes some sense, yeah, OK, perhaps, OK, you got a point there". There may be more to today than we know. It's evident he is still picking elements of the team using alternatives rather than his options.

Playing Hammell in midfield in a cup final will never make sense.

• Like 1

Why play Ramsden in midfield and have Carswell on the bench?

Think that underlines how poor Carswell has been for last 18 months or so.

Regarding Baraclough, if it hadn't been for the transfers, I'd have been on his back but today was effectively a clean slate. In saying that, it's unnerving to hear that we're still doing the same basics wrong.

One thing you can probably guarantee about Hutchison is that if he develops any doubts about Baraclough keeping us up, he'll make a change.

This whole season has been 'gotta win the next game' or 'important few weeks coming up' followed by total failure.

Baraclough has not improved anything and if anything we are worse, 1 point from 21 is our worst of the season and we are defensively even worse than before, conceding an average of 3 per match. If that stat doesn't change we are basically finished. Doomed.

In terms of formation, tactics, style of play we've been as dire as at any other time this season.

I'm getting absolutely sick of saying this but next week is must win and a lose is unthinkable - to lose 7 out of 8 in our position, at this end of the season...

It's kind of ironic that so many on here had the knives out for Kenny Black and yet the only time we have even looked like we might not be relegation bound was when he was in charge.

I really did not understand the 4-1-4-1 formation today. If you play one up front you need someone who can work his socks off. I am sorry but Sutton is not that person. We need more up top. However taking Sutton out the team losses goal menace. We need to either play Irwin up on his own or go 442. Not sure Ramsden is right for a holding midfield role either.

• Like 1

While there is merit to a number of your points, reading that made me cast my mind back to the day after the Cup Final in 2011. I couldn't understand why McCall set us up the way he did. It made absolutely no sense to me and just added to the gloom of the day.

Then he posted his managers email where he explained his tactics and reasons behind his decision making. I read it and I thought "well that makes some sense, yeah, OK, perhaps, OK, you got a point there".

Really? After mucking about with the lineup over 5 league games, he didn't know what his best team was and shat out of making a choice between Craigan and Gunning. Hanging Hammell out to dry in the process.

• Like 1

Really? After mucking about with the lineup over 5 league games, he didn't know what his best team was and shat out of making a choice between Craigan and Gunning. Hanging Hammell out to dry in the process.

I didn't say I agreed with all of it, I said when he explained his motives, it made a few of them easier to swallow. Today's the same, we're judging things based on matchday performances however without being present in training for the past fortnight.

Stuart McCall's success in the league, up until this season, was beyond what anyone could have realistically expected. But the question has to be asked, did he leave the squad in a better, or worse, state than when he took over.

As for Ian Baraclough, I wish him all the best, but his head's on the block now. Black's gone, so his influence can't be blamed anymore and the manager has been allowed to bring in a load of players plus a new assistant. The club wasn't in a relegation or play-off spot when he got the job, even if it was obvious to everyone how poor we were. His brief could only have been to keep us in the league...If results don't pick up soon and we go down, there's no way he'll be given the chance to rebuild and bring us back up.

1423936264[/url]' post='432435']

Recall Hammel having a storming game in qf v Dundee Utd at Tannadice,some days it goes for you.....

Really disappointing scoreline today. There was nothing in it for the first 20 minutes, both teams were poor, then Long made a few great saves and they seemed to get the momentum and took the lead before half time. Second half we started better, the young boy Grant started to get on the ball and there was a real sense of positivy throughout the team/support. At 1-1 we looked like we were gonna go on and absolutely smash them, but a terrible refereeing decision led to a goal and the wind was knocked right out of our sails. Heads were down and they got a 3rd soon after and we were done after that. We rallied a bit but we didn't look close to creating anything. That spell for 10 mins at the start of the first half though, Grant, Erwin and Thomas were all linking up and passing and moving and I genuinely thought we were going to pump them.

I'm a fan of Twardzik but Long is a class keeper. He looked really confident in the air, made some smart stops and just a generally top keeper I think. Straker at left back is technically really poor. A few times he was clearing it down the line with his foot/head and it was just going straight out the park. He can knock the ball about a bit but we need Hammell back asap. Fraser Kerr was pretty decent I thought. McManus was poor today, but no matter how badly you play in a game of football, the level of abuse hurled at him was completely unacceptable. I thought I heard someone shout for him to go "away and die", but I must be mistaken, surely nobody would have fucking said that! Reid barely got pass marks and actually got forward a few times too which was good to see. Thomas showed in flashes what he can do but I didn't think he was up to much today. Ramsden's general distribution is really poor. It's all well and good being a defensive midfielder but you've got to at least be able to spray the ball about a bit. Lasley was okay, and Grant is a bit of real quality. When Lasley went off for Moore, Barra dropped Grant deeper and all of a sudden we had nothing going forward. I'm a big fan of Erwin but today he was hot and cold. Sutton's attitude today was totally spot on, something he can never be faulted for. Johnson when he came on seemed to try far too hard with the fancy flicks, but again you can see he's got potential.

At half time I was sitting to myself thinking how unusual it was for a referee to have been so good. The second half though was mental, he was fucking awful after half time!

Really gutted to lose today, but you can just just just see a bit of potential in these new guys going forward. We need a result soon though, otherwise Barra will be under some pressure very soon. Will upload vids of the goals later, just before the 2nd you can hear some guy in his mid 20s matter of factly telling everyone around him how it was all Alan Burrows' fault for giving out 2 year deals facepalm.gif

Special mention to the Well Boys today, great atmosphere!

• Like 3

What has Baraclough done since he came in? Some of the complaints while McCall was still here were:-

- lack of fitness- lack of organisation- poor team selection- poor tactics- making the same mistakes week after week- team not making chances- being outplayed every week- team not looking motivated- defence losing soft goals

Has there been an improvement on these? Genuine question as I haven't managed along to any games recently.

Few questions GazzyB

The radio described it as a 4-1-4-1, was this the case?

Do you think Ramsden was played in the defensive midfield role because Baraclough didn't have full confidence in the ability of the back 4? Otherwise this is a game we're you'd go with 2 designated forwards, or 3 midfielders and 3 up front I reckon.

You mentioned Grant dropped back in the second half and we lost our last third drive, when we went forward before this I take it he took up an playmaker/advanced position as the link man for Sutton?

Lasley wasn't happy about being hooked, was there a case for Ramsden walking and Las staying on?

HC we were a team of fast players today but didn't play quick football or break forward with pace if that makes sense!

G&C it was a 4 2 3 1 all day long. I think that's the manager's preferred formation and one we should stick with. Las and Ramsden sat, I think they are in there purely down to the formation we play. I think Ramsden protects well but can't offer the same distribution that we'd get from Lawson if he ever gets fit. Grant was just behind Sutton at the start of the second half but first half he was out left. When he was attacking central was when we really only ever looked competent going forward.

Just before Moore came in on Las was yelling something to Barra so I thought he was injured!

• Like 1

Ian Baraclough said: "We've scored two good goals away from home and you expect to get something from that but we have to come from behind every week at the moment and we're not giving ourselves a great chance to win games.

"We're getting picked off and that can't be right. Set-pieces are crucial; they can win and lose you games and we need to tighten up in that area, that's for sure. We have 13 massive games coming up now and we are in control of our destiny."

I think some people on here are still massively underestimating the task Baraclough has to turn this team round. We cannot underestimate the mess McCall left behind. An ageing squad, lacking in fitness, belief and desire, not to mention one of the smallest squads in the league. Lets not forget, that under McCall the team did not put in a single decent performance from July to November.

I find it interesting that his pre/post match interviews are being used as a stick with which to beat him. i think it is of real credit to him that, despite the circumstances, he has managed to maintain a positive, calm and rational outlook at these interviews. He has a very difficult task to keep experienced, influential players on side when I am sure he will be very frustrated by how little these players offer, McManus in particular must be a source of real frustration and yet, Baraclough is publicly at least, backing the player. We all saw what happened with Gannon when he used a heavy handed approach with the senior players. Baraclough can not afford to do this. I would be interested to know what people actually want him to say at these interviews?

The injury list is horrific. He brings in Pearson (I think he will prove to be a great signing), who cracks a rib and has since been out, Laing gets sent off after 25 minutes in his first game and Hammell, Vigurs and Lawson are long term absentees.Yet despite all of this he has created an air of positivity that had most people believing that a result today was a real possibility. As a manager it is his job to create this positivity and he has managed it very well.

Have the players he has brought in strengthened the squad? My belief is yes. Has he brought at least some spirit into the squad? St Johnstone and Dundee Utd games alone suggest yes. Is he giving the young players a chance? Yes. Does he shy away from touch decisions, his sacking of Black would suggest not (lets not forget as well that many on here have been desperate for that outcome).

I am not a happy clapper. I was never hugely convinced by McCall and I wanted VDG as our new manager but I have been very impressed by the way in which Baraclough is going about his job. The results have not gone for him yet but then results had not gone for McIntyre and Dodds untill today, yet they have had longer to get their house in order and by all accounts are considered to be doing a good job.

Despite the loss today, we are in a better position than Ross County. I would still not be surprised if Thistle get pulled into the relegation dogfight (do we still have to play them twice?)so there is still a lot of football to play. We beat Dundee next week and County lose and suddenly today's result is nullified. My gut feeling is that we will still be ok, starting with a victory against Dundee next week.

• Like 13

I'd take every word of your full post, star sail, as refelecting my thoughts.

I'm quite saddened by the general reaction from many on todays result (not just on here), some clearly aren't giving any consideration to events on and off the park, this rebuild is more challenging from the faltering foundations that were left than many before.

• Like 1

Folk sayin give baraclough time.the problem is we dont have the time needed to turn things around.it may be too late!!

Also folk are asking what baraclough has changed since he came in,too me a cant see anything that he has changed and a dont see any style of play getting implemented into the team and the performances have been consistently pish from the 1st game.

Next 3 games will prove to be do or die for us

My gut feeling is that we will still be ok.

One of the things that really worries me is that there is belief out there based nothing more than the fact that because Motherwell haven't been relegated for a long time it won't ever happen again.

I've been reading this "we'll be alright" stuff all season.