Best Players On Saturday

Leanne

This is the poorest league in terms of quality in my lifetime, so it's not that an outlandish statement. In the 80's the Scottish league was awash with top class footballers, certainly not the case in 2015.

Agree to an extent, but we were out of the top-flight for a good part of that era and the teams during that barren spell were mince, both ours and opposition.

Pick any team of the Ally McLeod era for starters.

This. Especially the one that was relegated and then finished 6th in the First Division the season after.

The team that missed relegation thanks to league reconstruction was pretty dire too.

The Malpas team was poor but a team with Reynolds, craigan, Mcdonald, mccormack, O'Donnell, lasley, quinn and vadocz all available would wipe the floor with these jokers.

Only scoring more than once in a game against Ross County in 27 games is beyond brutal.

Is Lasley in the Malpas team beating himself in the Baraclough team because he is much better than himself? Or is he in the Baraclough team getting beat by himself because he is so shite? blink.gif

Aye, I think that's the most frustrating thing. While the team may have been a bit lucky to finish 2nd last season (although it's difficult to argue against league position), they should be better than a relegation battle.

At the start of last season I thought we'd be looking at mid-table, which should have been the worst case this season. Of course, that's what makes the game good to watch - just not so good when it's our own team that is underperforming.

If I remember correctly his first 6 or 7 games the team started like world beaters - then came Queens Park (I think) and the wheels came aff the bogey.

You memory is playing tricks. My recollection was we were pretty rank and a quick check on statto.com shows that under Hynd our league from started off as:

Motherwell 0 - 1 Partick Thistle

St. Mirren 0 - 1 Motherwell

Motherwell 1 - 5 Celtic

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 0 - 1 Dundee Utd

Motherwell 0 - 1 Hearts

Rangers 4 - 1 Motherwell

Motherwell 2 - 3 Hibs

Morton 1 - 2 Motherwell

Partick Thistle 2 - 0 Motherwell

Motherwell 1 - 2 St. Mirren

and by the end of October were firmly rooted to the bottom of the league

Might be but will need to carry out some research on that one - didn't he take over around December time the previous season and I think he only lasted a few games into that run you quoted, before he jumped ship (according to the official site he only lasted 3 games into that season).

Mind not playing that many tricks - he took over in December 1977 and what I think I remember was the run of results from late December.

Motherwell 2 - 0 Partick Thistle

Celtic 0 - 1 Motherwell

Motherwell 1 - 0 St Mirren

Motherwell 3 - 0 Ayr United

Arbroath 0 - 4 Motherwell (and the after match shenannigans evilgrin.gif)

Motherwell 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Motherwell 3 - 5 Rangers (2-0 up and cruising and the bastards invaded the park)

Motherwell 1 - 3 Queens Park.

So in reality the 'wheels came aff the bogey' in the Rangers game.