Aberdeen V Motherwell 13/03/15

Yabba's Turd

I'm usually pretty positive but that performance tonight was typical of a team that will be relegated.

We were pretty toothless in attack. Apart from the goal Langfield did not have a save.

At the other end we gave away two cheap goals. When you give free headers at corners and have a complete cock up by the goalie for another you know you are in bother.

No punch up front and a defence that gives away goals is typical of a team that will go down.

Tonight is the first time I have felt we will not get out of it.

• Like 1

For me it was a worrying and sickening way to lose after such good work to go in front. Every point is a prisoner and the mistakes last night were unacceptable.

Before last night Long had done absolutely nothing to suggest he is any better than Dan. After last night he should be dropped. 1st goal - OK it was a free header which was criminal, but a cross inside the 6 yard box is keeper territory and dealing with crosses was everyone's main criticism of Dan. Great save from the header to be fair, then the less said the better.

2nd goal, what the actual fuck was going through his head? 2 centre half's there to deal with what was nothing more than a hopeful punt. Laing is clearly watching the ball with one intention - nodding it back to the keeper. If long is coming for that (which he should never ever ever ever ever have been) then scream bloody murder to let laing know.

Long has potential but he cost us last night and we can't afford that level of complacency in the position were in. Bring back Dan.

Probably part of the loan deal means he has to be given game time, so if that doesn't happen, might not be given any more players on loan from that club.

I would doubt it tbh. But regardless I'd rather have a better chance of staying in the league than worrying about who we can or can't get on loan from sheff utd.

1426318083[/url]' post='435038']

For me it was a worrying and sickening way to lose after such good work to go in front. Every point is a prisoner and the mistakes last night were unacceptable.

Before last night Long had done absolutely nothing to suggest he is any better than Dan. After last night he should be dropped. 1st goal - OK it was a free header which was criminal, but a cross inside the 6 yard box is keeper territory and dealing with crosses was everyone's main criticism of Dan. Great save from the header to be fair, then the less said the better.

2nd goal, what the actual fuck was going through his head? 2 centre half's there to deal with what was nothing more than a hopeful punt. Laing is clearly watching the ball with one intention - nodding it back to the keeper. If long is coming for that (which he should never ever ever ever ever have been) then scream bloody murder to let laing know.

Long has potential but he cost us last night and we can't afford that level of complacency in the position were in. Bring back Dan.

Probably should be dropped after recent mistakes , but who for? Dan has dropped as many changers.there s no point repeating the same mistakes, don't know what young goalie us like, either?

Where's Dave Latchfkrd when you need him?

Despite our much improved performances in recent weeks, sadly if we keep on defending like that, and like we have all season, we'll be in the bottom 2.

2nd goal, God knows why Long decided to come out like that but all Laing needed to do was have a quick look and it could've been prevented. So although the fault lies largely with Long, we had a 2nd chance to prevent the goal happening which Laing failed to take. I think Long should be dropped next week but it won't happen.

Its wrong to focus blame on George Long last night. In general he was continually left far too exposed by his 2 full backs and central defence. Aberdeen were afforded far too much time on the edge of our box and on the wings and it was no surprise they scored 2 goals. We have to start protecting the keeper far more. If the opposition can't get in shots or crosses they won't score - end of.

Dan put in a string of motm performances and then things got too much for him with the volume of shots he was facing each week.

I'd bring him back in after some much needed timeout. He's got plenty of heart and natural ability about him. Long and Neilsen have shown that physical frame and presence don't always make the difference.

• Like 1

Its wrong to focus blame on George Long last night. In general he was continually left far too exposed by his 2 full backs and central defence. Aberdeen were afforded far too much time on the edge of our box and on the wings and it was no surprise they scored 2 goals. We have to start protecting the keeper far more. If the opposition can't get in shots or crosses they won't score - end of.

I'd agree to a certain extent.

The defending from the corner, particularly from those at the back post, was horribly reminiscent of the goal we lost from a corner at Tannadice. With the ball air for so long someone should at least be competing for it, although you could also argue Long should be coming and collecting.

The initial save itself was absolutely outstanding and I genuinely believe if he hadn't punched the ball into the net we would be sitting here discussing a Motherwell victory. The second goal was all down to Long's head not being in the game due to his mistake all of 90 seconds earlier. The problem we have now is I don't think we can drop him. We desperately need some continuity in the team and if that means sticking with Long so be it.

I fear though the already fragile confidence in the team will be utterly destroyed by that last night.

Dan put in a string of motm performances and then things got too much for him with the volume of shots he was facing each week.

Thats true of any keeper we could bring in. Week after week they are left totally and unnecessarily exposed to crosses and shots. Last Saturday against Kilmarnock is a perfect example. Last night too, the first goal we lost was poorly defended by Law, I think. We might have a number of right backs but few look up to the job. We know about the left, but maybe its time to play young Watt on the right.

Thats true of any keeper we could bring in. Week after week they are left totally and unnecessarily exposed to crosses and shots. Last Saturday against Kilmarnock is a perfect example. Last night too, the first goal we lost was poorly defended by Law, I think. We might have a number of right backs but few look up to the job. We know about the left, but maybe its time to play young Watt on the right.

Law is not perfect but he's doing a decent enough job and preferable to the alternatives. The only significant change we can make from a personal perspective is if Hammell recovers from injury and replaces Straker (who got out of jail courtesy of Long's mistakes last night - an opinion shared by Willie Miller and Craig Paterson).

More generally, our defence has been horribly exposed for a number of years now. I don't see it being addressed between now and the end of the season. Encouragingly though, there is a focus from the coaching staff to improve our defence - something that was seemingly missing during McCalls time when we relied upon the quality of Hutchinson and Randolph.

Anyway, the reason we lost last night was due to the keeper losing his head. A position most keepers get into at some point; the test will be how he recovers from it.

The site gaffer politely asked that the abuse, trolling, discussion of abuse and trolling be left aside. It wasn't. Much of it has now been edited/removed to help keep the thread on track.

Some stuff there was no need at all for. Some stuff was fairly accurate in response but I hope you understand why both have gone to clean the thread up a bit.

If you suspect someone of trolling - ignore it or continue to take them to task - just leave out the abuse.

• Like 2

Long had a bad night, but is miles ahead of what we have had since Randy left (I know, that doesn't exactly say much right enough). Totally gutted to loose the way we did but not surprised in the slightest. However we did play well which doesn't seem like much after a loss but just a few weeks ago u would have bitten your hand of to be able to say we played well after any game.

Long had a bad night, but is miles ahead of what we have had since Randy left (I know, that doesn't exactly say much right enough). Totally gutted to loose the way we did but not surprised in the slightest. However we did play well which doesn't seem like much after a loss but just a few weeks ago u would have bitten your hand of to be able to say we played well after any game.

I totally disagree with this opinion. And I'm not just saying that because of last night. He looks the part but that's it. What has he done since he came in to suggest he's better than twardzik? The other week the caley thistle boys header went through him. He hardly covered himself in glory for countys goals either. I only recall one exceptional piece of goalkeeping from him - one on one vs caley (you could add his save from the initial header last night but his next action made up for it).

I agree he has potential but right now he's not the answer.