Nationalities To Play For The 'well

Well Up For It!

With it being International week and all, was thinking about the amount of different nationalities to feature in a 'Well top during our history. Thought I'd throw it out on here to see how many folk can name.

I managed to get 34 different nationalities but I'm sure I will have missed a few.

Rule of thumb I went by is they must have played at least one game for Motherwell, and need to name a player from that nationality. A few I could think of had dual nationalities, but stuck with their country of birth unless they were capped.

A starter for everyone, remember Kampman signed an Icelandic player that hardly featured, but can't for the life of me remember his name.

Some of the more obscure ones I could think of; Namibia, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, Serbia.

Take it you got all those?

Yeah got them, although Cayman Islands doesn't count as Brannan never played for them. Fifa blocked the call ups they made. And technically, Serbia isn't one - Curcic and Krivokapic both count as Yugoslavia! Curcic would be modern day Serbia, Krivokapic Montenegro.

you maybe thinking about a swede?

No that's not who I'm thinking of, although I did not get Sweden!!

Good shout.

Doesn't really matter, as we all remember Shuggy Edvaldsson, and he was Icelandic too...

Before my time, but now you mention his name, it does ring a bell.

Sweden and Iceland added then, now at 36.

• Like 1

Nationalities I got if you want to work out the players - going to take England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland as granted.

Algeria

Antigua

Australia

Belgium

Central African Republic

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Finland

France

Germany

Grenada

Haiti

Hong Kong

Hungary

Jamaica

Morocco

Namibia

Netherlands

New Zealand

Nigeria

Poland

Slovakia

Spain

Suriname

USA

Yugoslavia

Add to that Sweden and Iceland that have been mentioned (plus the 5 home nations) gives me a current total of 36 nations.

Nationalities I got if you want to work out the players - going to take England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland as granted.

Algeria

Antigua

Australia

Belgium

Central African Republic

Cyprus

Czech Republic

Estonia

Faroe Islands

Finland

France

Germany

Grenada

Haiti

Hong Kong

Hungary

Jamaica

Morocco

Namibia

Netherlands

New Zealand

Nigeria

Poland

Slovakia

Spain

Suriname

USA

Yugoslavia

Add to that Sweden and Iceland that have been mentioned (plus the 5 home nations) gives me a current total of 36 nations.

CAR, Hong Kong, Belgium and USA, struggling to name the players. You missed Austria..

Is central African Republic Ouefio?

Yes

Haiti must be the flask, I'm really stuck on that Hong Kong one.

Correct

CAR, Hong Kong, Belgium and USA, struggling to name the players. You missed Austria..

CAR = Oueifio, Hong Kong = Dave Williamson Belgium = Casagolda, USA = Tommy O'Hara

Just a miss type on my list regarding Austria - who can forget Mario Dorne and Franz Resch!

David Williamson?

Yes - the only reason I knew that is I actually met him in Hong Kong through a friend that stays there.

Must have some channel islanders and didn't Ged Brannan have some sort of tenuous link to somewhere?

Not sure about the islands - Ged Brannan got called up by Cayman Islands but FIFA deemed the call-ups invalid, so never counted it.

I think the CAR one was the bold Ange Ouifeo.

Yes

you dont have Montenegro either......

Technically, Montenegro doesn't count. Krivokapic would have been Montenegro nowadays, but in his time it was Yugoslavia. Same with Curcic, only he was Serbia.

Do they need to have played for the first team? If so then that would rule out the Cypriot Tank Commander. If not, you can add in Cameroon for Herman Umbongo or whatever his name was.