Kilmarnock V Motherwell Sat 31 Oct 15:00

Yabba's Turd

I could only follow the game on the radio which is never the best

it sounded like Killie were playing for a draw from kick off and we didn't pick things up until the second half and McGhee had a chance to talk to the team and change a few things

I thought we would come away with a point but I was delighted we got all 3 and i have to say Moult is proving to be a decent striker

on wards and upwards

PS loved the pics of the fancy dress mascots especially the we darth vader leading out the team (I hope they played the imperial march when the teams came out!)

I could only follow the game on the radio which is never the best

it sounded like Killie were playing for a draw from kick off and we didn't pick things up until the second half and McGhee had a chance to talk to the team and change a few things

I thought we would come away with a point but I was delighted we got all 3 and i have to say Moult is proving to be a decent striker

on wards and upwards

PS loved the pics of the fancy dress mascots especially the we darth vader leading out the team (I hope they played the imperial march when the teams came out!)

That wasn't the Motherwell game you were listening to.

What does work in our favour is we have different options upfront for different games. We have five decent strikers at this level (plus Clarkson) who all offer something different. If we can get the service right, and tighten up the defence, then we should be comfortably safe this season. It's a big if however. But I think McGhee the man to do it.

Moult & Fletcher for me.

For me too but it is nice to have options. Sounded as if Robinson contributed last week (which to my mind, he hadn't done previously) so the competition should keep the strikers on their toes.

Having said that, for me Moult would be one of the first names on the team sheet. It'd be him and one other for me...

Final ball was sadly lacking today and think all the six in midfield and up top who started were guilty of it but take that important thing out they were all decent. Was one of those frustrating games where I felt we were almost playing very well but just couldn't get it to click fully. But we defended sensibly, got the goal when the chance came and overall we have to be quite content. Lots of flashes that suggest with a bit more confidence and hard work we could make a serious upward movement.

That was quite a satisfying three points. I'm long enough in the tooth to remember the likes of Kris Boyd and Colin Nish nick late winners against us what seemed at least once a season for a spell so very pleasing to repay the compliment yesterday.

I don't think our performance was as good as against Aberdeen and whilst I wouldn't say we stole three points, I'd have to agree with Locke that the result was quite harsh on Kilmarnock.

First half I didn't think there was much in it. Second I thought they were the better team and we were fortunate that they were so toothless upfront. That said we were well pretty well set up defensively and whilst there weren't that many efforts on goal from Killie, when they came, they were generally from distance.

You got the impression from early on that one goal was likely to nick it for someone and so it proved with Moult's instinctive and clinical finish.

More encouraging words from McGhee after the game. I was particularly interested in his references to building trust and belief. He made a similar remark on Thursday about building up trust in his players to carry out his instructions. He built on that further by remarking along the lines that it cuts both ways and by following his instructions the players build trust in him also.

I think this was one of the key hurdles, if you can call it that, about his appointment. Would they approach things like his last Motherwell team approached his appointment or would they go the way of Aberdeen? Happily it seems the former, at least so far.

He also touched on the support network at the club off the park which was nice to hear likening it to the vibe of old at Fir Park. I remember he was caught out by a journalist after Aberdeen (the contents of the interview is probably hidden away on a thread in General Football actually) where he contrasted the support he got at Motherwell to the lack of it at Aberdeen and how it makes that bit easier and more likely to work.

Now I still have my lingering doubts that if and when his plans with the squad come to fruition and when we reach that mini-peak point (like end of season 1 last time) he won't get itchy feet and have the dilemma about wondering if he has it within him to do the same with a bigger team, but as it stand the early stages of the rebuild job under McGhee seem to be going along the right lines.

And my last thought on the game. Killie fans? "Boooo Boooo Boooo Boooo fuckin' Booooooooooooooooooo".