Kilmarnock V Motherwell Sat 31 Oct 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Aye they liked a boo yesterday.

Nothing to compared to Dundee United fans. :spiteful:

Watched the highlights on Alba last night. Killie seemed to have a midfield typical of a few Premiership sides based on power, aggression, competitiveness and fitness but little else. Most certainly they lacked creativity. In fact just the kind of midfield that has caused us problems these past few years. There was no way we were going to outfight them and thats an underlying concern. Yes, Killie had their chances but never looked like taking them. Our off the ball play looked poor but despite that the defence held firm and we had the means to hit them on the break. I don't mind playing that kind of game, most often associated in the past with Jim MacLean's Dundee United, as long as the defence remains resolute and we can take a single chance, when offered to us, by the opposition.

Interestingly Mark McGhee said post match "It's my job to bring what I see to bear on the squad, to find a way of playing that best suits the players we have.

So I'll continue for the moment to give people an opportunity and play about with the shape a little bit and with players in certain positions." So unlike Ian Baraclough, MMcG has admitted that just now we may not be able to play the way he wants but rather that to which the players are best suited.

Yes, Andy, our late goal could well have been scored by the likes of Kris Boyd or Colin Nish - we saw that often enough worse luck.

That boy loves a pair of shorts I don't think I've seen him at a game where he's not wearing shorts and a hoody.

A draw would probably have been a fairer result but 3 points, and clean sheet and a cracking finish for the goal I'll gladly take.

Seems so much more positivity around FirPark these days.

Just goes to show how a good manager can unify the dressing room and start to get performances in such little time.

It's just a pity McGhee didn't have the cash to strengthen specific positions, but hopefully he can add to rectify problem areas over time. The other positive thing is how we manage to up our game and tactics in the second half. Two in a row now, where we change personnel and get a positive reaction and points on the board.

I'm convinced McGhee will continue to make improvements over the season and look forward to new personnel and a preseason under their belts.

Here's hoping for good entertaining football and some long needed excitement on a good cup run.

COYW

Final ball was sadly lacking today and think all the six in midfield and up top who started were guilty of it but take that important thing out they were all decent. Was one of those frustrating games where I felt we were almost playing very well but just couldn't get it to click fully. But we defended sensibly, got the goal when the chance came and overall we have to be quite content. Lots of flashes that suggest with a bit more confidence and hard work we could make a serious upward movement.

We've been shite for a long time, confidence doesn't just return over two or three games, its going to be a long term project over months. If you look at Ross County last season it took them 4 or 5 months to slowly turn things round, making small improvements and then finally finishing very strongly.

In our poorest passages of play yesterday we still looked like a team rather than individuals so that alone is a big improvement and I think everyone most look at us now and have more confidence in the shape and organisation of the team.

It's just a pity McGhee didn't have the cash to strengthen specific positions, but hopefully he can add to rectify problem areas over time. The other positive thing is how we manage to up our game and tactics in the second half. Two in a row now, where we change personnel and get a positive reaction and points on the board.

COYW

I wasn't at the Celtic game but wasn't that a stronger second half too.

Cracking reactions from Moult for the goal, no idea how he didn't get a second at the death there though! From those limited highlights, Johnson looks like a totally different player.

Let's just call that one revenge for Killie's late winner at Fir Park in McGhee's first season.

Let's just call that one revenge for Killie's late winner at Fir Park in McGhee's first season.

We gave them an absolute doing that day.

Going by highlights in the last 2 weeks, Marvin looks rejuvenated. Again going by highlights, the final ball isn't always there but we're getting plenty bodies in the box.

Pleased to see Moult on the scoresheet. Really likeable player and a top prospect.

Looking forward to us being back at Fir Park next week.

• Like 1

That was quite a satisfying three points. I'm long enough in the tooth to remember the likes of Kris Boyd and Colin Nish nick late winners against us what seemed at least once a season for a spell so very pleasing to repay the compliment yesterday.

If that makes you long in the tooth, my memories of Paul Wright, George mccluskey and Tommy burns make me ancient!

:lol:

Here's the mark Mcghee article you referenced, I'd been Linked it when he got the job, speaks very highly of the people at Motherwell!

http://m.heraldscotland.com/sport/13038619.Interview__Mark_McGhee_on_his_Aberdeen_experience/

• Like 1

If that makes you long in the tooth, my memories of Paul Wright, George mccluskey and Tommy burns make me ancient!

:lol:

Here's the mark Mcghee article you referenced, I'd been Linked it when he got the job, speaks very highly of the people at Motherwell!

http://m.heraldscotland.com/sport/13038619.Interview__Mark_McGhee_on_his_Aberdeen_experience/

Fine work digging that one up. Nice one!

And truth be told I also remember seeing Paul Wright, George McCluskey and Tommy Burns against us for Killie so you aren't alone there. Happily I don't remember putting the ball in the net in the last couple of minutes quite so much as Boyd and Nish did!

Many may not like Mark McGhee being back at FP but there is no denying his ability to organise players into a unit and get improvement from individual players. He did that first time round and seems to be on the way to repeating it.

I think Barraclough's failure was that he had a philosophy of how he wanted the team to play but failed to recognise that the players he had were not capable of playing that way. Too many football managers are like this and generally fail. Mark McGhee on the other hand is taking time to look at the players capabilities and set out the team to play according to these.

I've always maintained that there is no point in saying we should play in this formation or that formation but rather we should play in a formation that suits and matches the capabilities of our players. This is what Mark McGhee is doing and I think the fans should forget the past and support him.

• Like 3

I think Barraclough's failure was that he had a philosophy of how he wanted the team to play but failed to recognise that the players he had were not capable of playing that way. Too many football managers are like this and generally fail. Mark McGhee on the other hand is taking time to look at the players capabilities and set out the team to play according to these.

I've always maintained that there is no point in saying we should play in this formation or that formation but rather we should play in a formation that suits and matches the capabilities of our players. This is what Mark McGhee is doing and I think the fans should forget the past and support him.

Absolutely. Yes he'll have his preferred way of setting up the team but probably recognises he'll have to gradually introduce that as and when his choice of new players arrive.