Motherwell V Dundee Sat 12 Dec 15:00

Yabba's Turd

The only players we have on loan are;

Ripley (Boro - loan up in January)

Grimshaw (Man Utd - loan up in January)

Taylor (Reading - season loan with 'break' option in January)

Edit: For what it's worth both Ripley and Grimshaw have said they'd like to stay on until the end of the season, I've not heard anything about Taylor in the press but the fact he's (not unsurprisingly) barely featured says a lot. Reading have just binned Steve Clarke so it'd probably be in Taylor's interests to go back to his parent club if he's clearly not going to get game time here.

McGhee's already said he's decided what his plans are with regards extending their deals or not but needs to talk to clubs and players about it.

We actually, for once, have a decent mix of players on 1/2/3 year deals.

Big chunk of the 'older' players up at the end of the season:

McDonald

Lasley

McManus

Hammell

Clarkson

Samson

Robinson

Leitch

Twardzik

Fletcher

Thomas, Moult and Johnson tied up until 2018 which is good business.

We actually, for once, have a decent mix of players on 1/2/3 year deals.

Big chunk of the 'older' players up at the end of the season:

McDonald

Lasley

McManus

Hammell

Clarkson

Samson

Robinson

Leitch

Twardzik

Fletcher

Thomas, Moult and Johnson tied up until 2018 which is good business.

Am I right in thinking McDonald, Clarkson and Fletcher are deals til the end of the season with +1 options?

Also, though they're out on loan at the moment both Reid and Moore's deals are up at the end of the season as well.

Yeah a whole host in the 2017 pot. Thought those 3 for 2018 were worth pointing out though as good business.

Agreed. I didn't mean to sound like I was just rhyming off players who'd signed new deals.

Will be interesting to see what can be done in January seeing as there's a number of those whose contracts are up in the summer who either haven't really made much of an impact or aren't looking like getting much game time soon and we've seen that our midfield goes to pieces without either Pearson or Lasley available

Will be interesting to see what can be done in January seeing as there's a number of those whose contracts are up in the summer who either haven't really made much of an impact or aren't looking like getting much game time soon

Absolutely Cap'n sir. We have 3 loanees whose future needs to be ironed out (Ripley, Grimshaw and Taylor). If say 2 of those are retained then that frees up 1 wage. We then have Moore, Reid and Ferguson out on loan. So whilst money is tight there may be scope to ship someone out and bring someone in on loan. At the recent meeting Mark McGhee expressed his surprise at the number of strikers we had signed and at the lack of central defenders (he may reconsider this in the light of Ben Hall's impressive debut). Add to that, that we may wish to ship out the likes of Theo Robinson and Dan Twardzik and we may see some limited movement next month.

Absolutely Cap'n sir. We have 3 loanees whose future needs to be ironed out (Ripley, Grimshaw and Taylor). If say 2 of those are retained then that frees up 1 wage. We then have Moore, Reid and Ferguson out on loan. So whilst money is tight there may be scope to ship someone out and bring someone in on loan. At the recent meeting Mark McGhee expressed his surprise at the number of strikers we had signed and at the lack of central defenders (he may reconsider this in the light of Ben Hall's impressive debut). Add to that, that we may wish to ship out the likes of Theo Robinson and Dan Twardzik and we may see some limited movement next month.

There's also been chat about some of the current u20s being loaned out to aid their development as well I believe. Realistically I'd think if we're going retain two of the loanees it'd be Ripley and Grimshaw given that both have expressed a wish to stay and have been regularly involved, Taylor clearly less so. It's not going to benefit either party to have him just kicking his heels up here as I think I'm right in saying his contract at Reading is up at the end of the season. Either way he's simply not the player we need in there and the more I think about it the more I wonder whether Baraclough had ever seen him or just took him on the basis of a recommendation from Adkins or someone like that off the back of Pearson's injury.

The striker thing I wouldn't try and defend but I can, to a point, understand given that Fletcher arrived with a fairly chequered injury history and indeed has been out twice already this season and there was no guarantee that Moult would make the step up like he has. We could easily have been in a position where we'd seen injuries hit or a run of poor form in front of goal and all 5 would have seen more game time. As luck would have it Moult's been a bit of a revelation and struck up a decent partnership with McDonald. The upshot being that the extra bodies just look unnecessary given the financial situation we keep hearing about. I believe Les mentioned the improvement in the injury situation at the AGM I'd be interested to know how many first team bodies we've had out at any one time this season, and the nature of injury, compares with last year and how that impacts the balance sheet in terms of the money invested in setting up vs the money saved within a year.

The centre half position is quite interesting, it'd seem that the preference is to have an experienced player playing alongside one of the younger guys (which makes sense) so we've got 3 capable players vying for the right side (Kennedy, Laing and Hall) but only McManus for the other position. It'd be a curious conversation to try and recruit an experienced centre half as cover for or rotate with McManus, you'd think if a club in our position are looking for someone with experience then they'd be looking to be more than cover.

• Like 1

Nothing against Conor Ripley but if we are losing money and paying too much in wages he shouldn't be here with Samson and Twardzik on the books.

If Ripley was doing a John Ruddy fine, but while I think Ripley has done OK, I don't think he's done anything more than that.

If the option was there for us to send Taylor and Ripley back to their clubs while we bring in another midfielder, I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

Nothing against Conor Ripley but if we are losing money and paying too much in wages he shouldn't be here with Samson and Twardzik on the books.

If Ripley was doing a John Ruddy fine, but while I think Ripley has done OK, I don't think he's done anything more than that.

If the option was there for us to send Taylor and Ripley back to their clubs while we bring in another midfielder, I wouldn't be unhappy with that.

Don't disagree at all. I think Ripley's been decent enough but he's not a Ruddy or Randolph. Having said that I think my preference, given that Ripley has been an ever present to date, would be to try and move one of the other two goalkeepers on whether it's a loan with their wages covered until their contract expires or released from contract if a permanent deal can be fixed up.

I'd be happy enough with Taylor moving back to Reading (I see United have already sent their loanee from Reading back early) and one of the 3 'keepers moving on to free up space for a midfielder.

Yeah agree with that - I think Samson would do more or less the same job.

think we did excelent in getting 3 goals not the best game ever seen but thats us scored 5 in our last 2

I think MMcG is beginning to get the best out of the players as both he and them get to know one another. He believes in adapting his system to suit the players at his disposal. As he admitted he is only gradually changing things and there are probably quite a few things that he hasn't got round to changing yet.

If you think Samson or Twardzik are anywhere near Ripley's level then I am at a loss.

Ripley isn't Ruddy or Randolph, but he's four times the keeper the other two clowns are.

I honestly don't think he is.

Ripley is miles ahead of Twardzik but he isn't miles ahead of Samson.

Ripley has been good but not as good as I thought he was going to be initially.

I honestly don't think he is.

Ripley is miles ahead of Twardzik but he isn't miles ahead of Samson.

Ripley has been good but not as good as I thought he was going to be initially.

If he ends up our No.1 I hope he is a lot better than I remember him being.

I can remember Samson letting in one goal where he should have done better and a few games where he has kept us at bay with some cracking saves but most of the time he's just done what you'd be looking for him to do without doing anything spectacular.

I've not seen him that many times so I could be wrong but he seems an average to decent keeper and I'm not sure Ripley rates any higher than that. He had a good game against Dundee though and I like the way he was reading the game and coming out for through balls.

Ripley is a young keeper who is improving with every game he plays. Like every youngster he is prone to the odd error, but it appears he is willing to learn from his mistakes. Give me that any time if the only options are Samson or Twardzik, both of whom have a history of errors, have reached their peak and give little encouragement that any improvement is likely given game time. If possible, keep Ripley beyond January and do a deal to terminate Twardzik's contract.

I think MMcG is beginning to get the best out of the players as both he and them get to know one another. He believes in adapting his system to suit the players at his disposal. As he admitted he is only gradually changing things and there are probably quite a few things that he hasn't got round to changing yet.

Wasn't complaining three points is three points