Motherwell V St Johnstone Wed 30 Dec 19:45

Yabba's Turd

They're a good team who've won something like their last 7 away games on the bounce so it will be a very difficult game. However under McGhee we've already taken points of all 3 teams who are currently above them in the table so there's no reason why we can't take something here if we perform to a similar level that we have been over the last 3 games.

I read today that McGhee said Moult had a bug and Ripley had food poisoning and both would have probably missed the game at Tannadice so it was probably just as well it was called off.

Hopefully both are fit for this one, team pretty much picks itself at the minute and let's hope we can pick up where we left off.

Would definitely take a point from this one. They're in genuinely good form, they've only lost 1 of their last 9 and have won their last 7 away from home (including the cup games vs Morton & Sevco). They've also got midfielders like Davidson who'll go box to box and you'd expect O'Halloran to have the potential to give us problems. Also, Tommy Wright is a pretty astute manager and we probably won't benefit from the sort of naivety we saw from Hartley with Dundee.

Having said that, it's another one of those where it's up to us to turn up. We've taken points off the 3 teams above them in the league and there's no reason why we can't win it. It'll be an interesting game to watch given that the way they set up with the 2 up top and 1 wide is very similar to the way McGhee's got us playing just now.

The couple of postponed fixtures seem to add a bit of pressure. Although we have improved, and had some better results, we have not moved away from the danger zone. As such, we could really do with taking something from this match, and keeping the momentum going. Saints are a decent side so I would not be too unhappy with a point.

Realise it's early days but could anyone guess if this one could be under threat? See forecast of heavy rain all day on Wednesday - have to decide tomorrow whether to make plans to travel for it, so could be bit of a gamble?

If it offers you any reassurance that it's come from an official source take a look at the tweet that's currently at the foot of the abbreviated shoutbox. There you'll see the club's reply to a question on whether the game yesterday would have gone ahead had it been scheduled to take place at Fir Park and a reference to previous heavy rain before games.

If it offers you any reassurance that it's come from an official source take a look at the tweet that's currently at the foot of the abbreviated shoutbox. There you'll see the club's reply to a question on whether the game yesterday would have gone ahead had it been scheduled to take place at Fir Park and a reference to previous heavy rain before games.

Thanks AndyP, that looks hopeful. Presuming the drainage was improved at same time as the pitch was relaid a couple of years ago.

One thing is for certain if this game goes ahead is that'll I'll be out my seat shouting at Murray Davidson. He might be a decent player but he's a niggily nasty thug at times and sadly gets away with it.

Saints have quite a few players in that category. They're a decent, well organsied and hard working side. Maybe not overendowed with talent, but Tommy Wright gets the best out of them. They can bite, kick and scratch their way to a result and remind me very much of the Partick Thistle side under John Lambie. One or two talented individuals but very streetwise and experienced. Spoony is not available if the game goes ahead.

One thing is for certain if this game goes ahead is that'll I'll be out my seat shouting at Murray Davidson. He might be a decent player but he's a niggily nasty thug at times and sadly gets away with it.

If I was to compare Murray Davidson to any other player in this league it would probably be Stephen Pearson....

St. Johnstone have a good solid team, no real weaknesses but perhaps an area we could get them at would be that guys like Mackay and Anderson are no spring chickens can be got at with pace.

I think we are also catching them at a decent time. Their impressive away record is there for everyone to see but they have also only won once in the last four and haven't scored in their last two league outings. That's an important fact because they don't keep many clean sheets and have won this season by outscoring teams.

I was looking at the league table today and was quite surprised to see we have something like the 5th best defensive record in the league, our big downfall has been scoring goals (2nd lowest). Now that we have started scoring again I think we could perhaps put a wee bit of form together and a match against St. Johnstone is an ideal opportunity for the back line to keep up the good work and for the forward line to show the goals scored in the last few weeks are a sign of things to come.

• Like 2

St. Johnstone have a good solid team, no real weaknesses but perhaps an area we could get them at would be that guys like Mackay and Anderson are no spring chickens can be got at with pace.

Anderson is a bit of a smoking timebomb - always liable to blow up or lash out. If Tommy Wright was managing a team playing against Anderson his advice to strikers would be to wind him up, provoke him, and niggle him.

And Tommy Wright’s advice to his strikers playing against Pearson, will be to wind him up, provoke him, and niggle him.

That will be Tommy Wright's advice to all his players - wind up all of ours. Thats part of their game. You'd also imagine that Ben Hall, if he is selected, will also be a particular target given his age and inexperience.

Just noticed the superb away record that St Johnstone have this season. A point might not be a bad result here.

I am expecting a really tight match but St Johnstone at 6/4 looks a decent bet.

Edit to add that the forecast is looking like heavy rain up until around 4/5pm. Should then be looking at a dry evening. Those few hours before kick off might just get this game on.

...the forecast is looking like heavy rain up until around 4/5pm.

It’s not like the park of old and hopefully it will withstand the expected downpour prior to kick off. I am sure the ground staff will be doing everything in their power to make sure that the match is on.

_44680270_fir_park_pitch_416.jpg

I think it will be off for safety reasons if it's as bad as predicted

Latest forecast is heavy rain until lunchtime and then lighter showers till about 5.00 and dry afterwards. You might well be right but would it not be a first if a game was called off because of heavy rain affecting travelling. Who knows what Police Scotland will decide.