Scottish Cup - Fifth Round Motherwell V Inverness Caley Thistle Sat 6 Feb 15:00

prideoflanarkshire

Well we seem to have insurrection in the ranks.

A dichotomy as it were.

Lionel Ainsworth?

Or

Mark McGhee?

If I could perhaps throw a third hat into the ring?

Motherwell FC, its league position, its progress in the Cup, its future .

Too much in-fighting for my liking. We need a seige mentality not a fishwife convention.

Who's right and who's wrong? Everyone and no-one. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone and all that .

I will be supporting each and every one on Saturday. We have the opportunity to progress and move on, and we can all play our part.

Because that's what actually matters, isn't it?

Hi guys,

not one to normally post on here but felt it was worth clarifying as I was involved in the post-match press conferences on Tuesday night. A lot of people seem angry at Mark McGhee for having a go at Lionel in public to the press. At no point did Mark actually say who it was, even when asked. It was only when Lionel himself appeared 10 minutes later that it became obvious. It's also my understanding that it was Lionel who wanted to come and speak, as the press had originally asked for another player.

Hope this helps

I think folk have been just too quick to jump to conclusions and it suited the anti Mark McGhee brigade. Its one of those situations where you need to know the facts first.

Hi guys,

not one to normally post on here but felt it was worth clarifying as I was involved in the post-match press conferences on Tuesday night. A lot of people seem angry at Mark McGhee for having a go at Lionel in public to the press. At no point did Mark actually say who it was, even when asked. It was only when Lionel himself appeared 10 minutes later that it became obvious. It's also my understanding that it was Lionel who wanted to come and speak, as the press had originally asked for another player.

Hope this helps

Scott

Thanks for the clarity Scott.

Everybody off their horses now.

Thanks for the clarity Scott.

Everybody off their horses now.

Good luck with that. The mob has spoken, McGhee is shite and a cunt and trying to get the Liverpool job, just like a fortnight ago when he was dead good and turning us round.

Hi guys,

Hope this helps

Scott

Sky Sports News for this pish!

McGhee didn't name him on BBC radio but it was clear who he was talking about for anyone that was watching the game. He then went on to name Lionel on MFCTV, the channel sponsored by Chris Caddens' brother.

As for Lionel coming out to the press, who know whose decision that was but he was flung under a bus and the press lapped it up with the grief-stricken patter.

• Like 1

I can't be bothered posting about McGhee. I'd go the same team again assuming everyone is fit. Did Ben Hall come off injured at Partick?

He did, aye. No mention yet if he's fit or not. Presume it'll be Kennedy if he doesn't make it, as Laing seems completely out the picture.

Good luck with that. The mob has spoken, McGhee is shite and a cunt and trying to get the Liverpool job, just like a fortnight ago when he was dead good and turning us round.

True.

Everyone put the pitchforks down and step back from the abyss. Haha.

As for the game...think I would maybe go 4-3-2-1.

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammersmith

Gomis Lasley Pearson

Ainsworth Johnson (as wingers, not behind the striker)

Skippy

Wasn't for changing the 442 but that seems to be not really working.

• Like 1

No point in bringing Gomis in on loan and then not playing him (unless he isn't fit). We've been lacking a defensive midfielder for some years now so,other things being equal, he'd be one of the first names on my team sheet.

I'd rather wait and throw him in vs Killie personally. Who would you drop? Lasley? Or Cadden and play Pearson on the left and Johnson on the right I suppose might work.

Superward's team looks decent I'd have Fletcher or Moult ahead of skippy if playing a lone striker though.

At least we have more options

True.

Everyone put the pitchforks down and step back from the abyss. Haha.

As for the game...think I would maybe go 4-3-2-1.

Ripley

Law Hall McManus Hammersmith

Gomis Lasley Pearson

Ainsworth Johnson (as wingers, not behind the striker)

Skippy

Wasn't for changing the 442 but that seems to be not really working.

I wouldn't be against that team tbh. Though possibly see Kennedy for Hall depending on the injury that saw him come off on Tuesday.

The lop sided 442/433 was working well during our decent run of form but it was evident even when we were getting results that we didn't really seem to have a plan B and things were stalling a bit when we were making changes.

Moult's had an impressive debut season for us but since the tail end of December when he was seemingly struggling with illness he's seemed off the pace. Which isn't a criticism as such, every player will go through a dip in form. Question is really whether or not we'd keep the same shape and replace like for like with Fletcher or tweak things a bit, in which case I can't really see us dropping McDonald as he's a massive part of how we play in a transitional sense.

For what it's worth I'd like to see if we can find a way to integrate both Ainsworth and Johnson into the team but not to the detriment of the midfield.

Given what has happened, I'de be tempted to give Lionel a start. We all know what he can do when he decides to turn up, and given he was obviously disappointed in himself the other night, I would hope he has more than a reason to bring his A game tomorrow.

Agreed. With the added instruction to SHOOOOT whenever 20/25 yards from goal!

I think Ainsworth needs to be given a start and a chance to make amends for last night and prove his McGhee wrong for his obvious disdain. I'd rest moult as he has been struggling for form recently and depending on Hall may need to play Kennedy and think Pearson needs a rest. I'd like to see something like

Ripley

Law hall mcmanus Hammell

Cadden Lasley Gomis

Ainsworth Johnson

McDonald

Although I'd prefer Johnston to start I'd be happy with Ainsworth starting but I'll be pissed off if they both start - both don't track back and we cannot afford to leave both full backs exposed. The central pairing can handle covering one wing but not both.

Agreed. With the added instruction to SHOOOOT whenever 20/25 yards from goal!

I think in general that's something that needs to happen more. We seem to always try get the ball down the wings, attempt a cut back and nearly over play every move. I think we could do with more players just having a go, even if the shots off target a deflection or rebound can lead to something else.

I think in general that's something that needs to happen more. We seem to always try get the ball down the wings, attempt a cut back and nearly over play every move. I think we could do with more players just having a go, even if the shots off target a deflection or rebound can lead to something else.

Think I mentioned in a previous thread and I'm happy to stand corrected but I don't think we've actually scored from outside the box this season.

I'd rather wait and throw him in vs Killie personally. Who would you drop? Lasley? Or Cadden and play Pearson on the left and Johnson on the right I suppose might work.

Superward's team looks decent I'd have Fletcher or Moult ahead of skippy if playing a lone striker though.

At least we have more options

If Pearson isn't fit, as some reports suggest, then leave him out. Otherwise Cadden or Lasley - a bit of a toss up but would probably retain Cadden for his fitness against a fit physical team. I'd play Moult as he's suffered from appalling service these last few games - not his fault.

Think I mentioned in a previous thread and I'm happy to stand corrected but I don't think we've actually scored from outside the box this season.

I can't think of one. I'd imagine it's been a long time since someone who isn't Ainsworth has scored from outside the box