Hearts V Motherwell Sat 16 January

Graeme Bremner

6-0 is a boot in the baws but the big test of McGhee and the players will be to get motivated and be right in about it next week against County. Sometimes you just have to lift your hands up and accept that bad results will happen. What we need to do is move on and get prepared for the next game as best we can. We may even have a midfield back by then.

• Like 1

fucking embarrassment today. 100% at the door of McGhee!

How can you say when a team loses 6-0 that the blame is 100% at the managers door?

About three months ago everyone on here was saying we had a squad full of players that weren't good enough. That is still the case. The reason our results have turned around is because of the manager, not despite him.

• Like 3

Pathetic, all the recent good work undone by 90 mins of utter tripe. It's one thing to lose against a good team on form , but to lose 6 is a joke from so called professional players. the club should reimburse those that travelled through today.

Total joke that our team was apparently reliant on a guy who's ancient and a loanee with zero experience. This needs addressed now.

• Like 1

Anybody who thinks we're top 6 material is deluded. We're in a relegation battle and if we dont get a couple of decent midfielders in during this window it's going to be squeeky bum time. We're currently 3rd bottom and i'd take that with relish at the end of the season right now... We've simply got too many shite players. We've probably got about 8 who are decent/good and a barrowload who are pish.

Anybody who thinks we're top 6 material is deluded. We're in a relegation battle and if we dont get a couple of decent midfielders in during this window it's going to be squeeky bum time. We're currently 3rd bottom and i'd take that with relish at the end of the season right now... We've simply got too many shite players. We've probably got about 8 who are decent/good and a barrowload who are pish.

We are 8th with games in hand on those around us...

Total joke that our team was apparently reliant on a guy who's ancient and a loanee with zero experience. This needs addressed now.

Absolutely. Irrespective of the team line up we were always going to lose today. Yes, 6-0 is a hammering and very poor result in anybody's book but I take a slightly more optimistic view of the outcome. I agree with most of the other comments about the line up - it was a disaster waiting to happen. However, consider this - has McGhee ever seen Hammell at right back or Law play in midfield? I suspect not. Yes, MMcG picked the team but who advised him on these moves? The last time these 2 players played in these positions was under Ian Baraclough or Stuart McCall, I can't recall which. Mark McGhee now knows he can't rely on such advice. He also knows, in no uncertain terms, that Hammell cannot play right back and Law cannot play in midfield. In other words short term pain long term gain. He has also learnt quite brutally just how short we are in the middle of the park, and perhaps in defence. If he was in the least unsure how badly we need to bolster the engine room this month he sure as hell knows now.

McGhee takes a huge amount of blame for that but not all obviously. Why change 2 positions when you can change 4 and play folk where they don't usually play?!

Team choice was bizarre and didn't surprise me at all we lost early goals. The team looked like they hadn't played together before. Law/Pearson didn't work, Hammell/Ainsowrth didn't work, Chalmers/Johnson didn't work.

Add in the fact we had very poor individual performances and I am surprised we didn't lose more!

Because the manager decided to put in Chalmers who is nowhere near good enough and Law in centre mid where he is out his depth. He also split up Hammell and Marvin who were playing well together.

Don't change the defence unless you have to.

This 100%. We were always going to lose today but this is the stuff of nightmares.

Absolutely. Irrespective of the team line up we were always going to lose today. Yes, 6-0 is a hammering and very poor result in anybody's book but I take a slightly more optimistic view of the outcome. I agree with most of the other comments about the line up - it was a disaster waiting to happen. However, consider this - has McGhee ever seen

Hammell at right back or Law play in midfield? I suspect not. Yes, MMcG picked the team but who advised him on these moves? The last time these 2 players played in these positions was under Ian Baraclough or Stuart McCall, I can't recall which. Mark McGhee now knows he can't rely on such advice. He also knows, in no uncertain terms, that Hammell cannot play right back and Law cannot play in midfield. In other words short term pain long term gain. He has also learnt quite brutally just how short we are in the middle of the park, and perhaps in defence. If he was in the least unsure how badly we need to bolster the engine room this month he sure as hell knows now.

Good post Dave ,the team had a McCall look to it today ,players shoehorned into positions rather than play someone else.

Just back from game,unfortunately we were outclassed from the start, mind you Clancy didn't help our cause, but have to say Hearts were good, we just need.to forget that result and hopefully back to winning ways next Saturday

More importantly, were we also outfought? In what way did Clancy not help our cause?

6-0 is definitely a hammering although I don't see the point in worrying about of that is the worst or most embarrassing defeat of the season so far for any team. Personally, I did not think for a minute that we would be victorious come five o'clock with two key CMs missing knowing what hearts are like and the style of football they play so I'm not that bothered. Although now, this result may highlight the lack of depth in midfield and maybe we can bring someone in because as mentioned by someone else earlier, MMcG doesn't think much of Cadden or Leitch (yet).

In saying all that, I am in Holland and was only going off the Twitter feed. Maybe because of this I am slightly disconnected from the 'humiliation'

How can you say when a team loses 6-0 that the blame is 100% at the managers door?

About three months ago everyone on here was saying we had a squad full of players that weren't good enough. That is still the case. The reason our results have turned around is because of the manager, not despite him.

he changed a settled defence, brought in Chalmers who is barely a pub league level player,played Hammell at right back & Law centre mid meaning we were an unorganized shambles with a horrifically poor midfield. Every decision was his, THATS why its 100% his fault

• Like 4

The chat of McGhee not trusting Cadden or Leitch doesn't wash with me. Or more to the point, I'm pretty sure I don't trust McGhee after today if he thinks that deployment of players and moving Hammell about and Law (who's barely a right back, let alone a centre mid!!) about and bringing in Chalmers (who's barely a fucking footballer!!) was the right thing to do!

Then after 22 minutes when we go 3-0 down he doesn't change it. Or keeps them there after half time. And indeed the full 90 minutes. Really?!?! At what point did he think moving those players about and also disrupting the partnerships they had formed with their team mates (Hammell and Johnson etc) wasn't working?! I'd love to know.

The smart thing to do today, and only thing we really could've/should've done was bring in Ainsworth for Grimshaw and any one of Leitch, Cadden, or even Laing, even Clarkson, or even Faddy in for Lasley, but you leave the rest of the fucking team alone!!!

• Like 1

he changed a settled defence, brought in Chalmers who is barely a pub league level player,played Hammell at right back & Law centre mid meaning we were an unorganized shambles with a horrifically poor midfield. Every decision was his, THATS why its 100% his fault

He didn't change a settled defence because he wanted to, he changed it because he had to make changes. He tried something, it didn't work, move on. We have very, very few options outside our strongest XI and he was damned if he didn't, and damned if he did, going to maybe the hardest ground in the country to get a result. Do you think we'd be sitting here with 3 points if Louis Laing had played in midfield or if Jack Leitch had replaced Grimshaw. I'm going to speculate we would still have got a drubbing, making those simple mistakes, showing that attitude and playing against a good team in what is to all extends and purposes a fortress for them.

As for 100% blame, its never anyone to blame 100%. We put out eleven players today who we are all paying for and they got absolutely steamrollered. The players need to put up their hands over this as well.

Hardly McGhee's fault we gave away two penalties, couldn't win headers in the box etc.

Just please do me a favour and think back a couple of months.

• Like 2