Hearts V Motherwell Sat 16 January

Graeme Bremner

I'm wondering, unless there is movement before Saturday, if it might be Lionel who would be the replacement for Grimshaw.

Not that it was as a direct result of his involvement but we came from behind at Parkhead and won when Lionel replaced Grimshaw. There's an obvious concern going there with two wingers but we've also had decent recent results away from home at Pittodrie where we had both Johnson and Ainsworth on the wings and then the following Saturday at Killie (albeit it was a shit-fest smash and grab). It places quite a responsibility on both to track back and cover but it's not beyond either to do so when sufficiently cajoled/motivated.

The central midfield switch is the most interesting decision for McGhee to make.

We've heard him say how his focus since he came in has been about creating and taking chances. Now you obviously need a defensive platform to be able to go on the offensive without the worry that you're going to be ripped on the break every time but we've managed to find the net at least twice in each of our last six games, I would hope the decision McGhee makes is who is going to best allow us to continue to create those chances. When you've two bang on form strikers and a winger who is also beginning amongst the goals it would seem sensible to that you try to ensure you'll be involving them in as much of the game as possible rather than thinking about going there and trying do the backs-to-the-wall thing.

We've got to stick with as much of the same formula as possible, since it's worked well recently. Keep our form players (Moult, McDonald, Johnson, Hall, Pearson) where they are, and make personnel changes to fill the gaps, rather than changing the whole team around.

Any two from Laing, Leitch, Cadden (in that order) to replace Lasley and Grimshaw will do just fine.

Craig Reid?

Hearts are the most physical side in the league, but aren't a great footballing team, which is something I think we could exploit. With Grimshaw gone, I'm sure Neilsen will be relishing playing Nicholson on the left, which I'm sure McGhee already expects. I would, however, be happy to come away from Tynecastle with a point and extend our unbeaten run given our shortcomings in midfield for this match.

Ainsworth to come in surely seems a given, who anchors the midfield with Peason is a massive dilemma. I don't think there is anyone we'd have any strong feeling for, Leitch at a push seems the most likely fit but slightly out in the cold. McGhee did use Laing in midfield once before but hasn't been quick to repeat that experiment. I'd be prone to giving Leitch the nod rather than trying a square peg in a round hole.

Ainsworth to come in surely seems a given, who anchors the midfield with Peason is a massive dilemma. I don't think there is anyone we'd have any strong feeling for, Leitch at a push seems the most likely fit but slightly out in the cold. McGhee did use Laing in midfield once before but hasn't been quick to repeat that experiment. I'd be prone to giving Leitch the nod rather than trying a square peg in a round hole.

Given Mark McGhee's comments and team selections so far, I'd be very surprised if Jack Leitch started. I reckon he's the most unlikely of the the 4 options we seem to have.

2 interpretations of McGhee bumming up

Ainsworth today

- he's actually going to give him a start to see if he can operate defensively too

Or

- someone's sniffing round and he's trying to talk up his fee

Think it's called managing, whatever next?

Or he's trying to make Neilson think he's going to start Ainsworth...