The Players From Our Youth Setup

MelvinBragg

Just picking out a couple of examples here, Joe. You've said that Hutchinson is a youth product of Wallsend Boys Club, and Kerr of Birmingham.

Hutchinson came through the youth production at Wallsend and moved to Motherwell at 16 = Wallsend product.

Kerr came through the youth production at Motherwell and moved to Birmingham at 16 = Birmingham product.

That's contradictory is it not? As has been said before, if you go through those who have come through at various other clubs (Dundee Utd being the prime example) they pick up their youngsters elsewhere too. I'd imagine it's a rare occurance for a player nowadays to be at the one club from a very, very early age.

I guess what I was trying to express is that their journey to being a full time player with us wasn't straight from our club. Kerr arrived on loan from Birmingham to debut and Hutchinson was picked up from Wallsend Boys Club at the Milk Cup in 2007 and instantly was a full time player.

Lasley, Hammell, McFadden and Craigan all came to the club aged over 16.

If a player plays in the age group sides then it's fair to call them home grown.

With the criteria I have used in above posts I wouldn't consider Lasley a product of our youth system. He was playing with Glennifer Thistle in the juniors and working as a spark when we signed him when he was nearing his 20th birthday. Pretty sure the reserves would have been his first place playing with us. Same regarding Craigan pretty much.

I'm pretty sure Hammell joined us at the age of 15. What age did McFadden come to Motherwell then? He did make his debut aged 17 and I'm fairly certain he was in the squad list in 1999/00, when he would have been sixteen when the season started.

I think this thread shows that we have intact produced a decent amount of talent over the last 20 years and few have slipped through the net. All while having a relatively successful first team.

As the club have stated, we have to improve with regards to transfers fees and having 18 year olds ready to integrate with 1st team.

As touched upon, there is a much wider issue at national level. When does the Wotte project start to bear fruit? Do we have a blurprint from Brian McClair yet? Are the SFA and clubs working together?

• Like 2

Evidenced the other way when Craig Moore got released by Hearts when young un and we picked him up.

He was released by Hearts, as he was considered to be too small (the same reason Dom Thomas left Parkhead). Incidentally how many young players do we release because they are too small - I'd guess very very few or none, as we can't afford to.

As far as Faddy is concerned I think he first signed on when he was very young like 11/12/13.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35368472

If done properly and not a half baked attempt this could be interesting.

The whole draft system over there has always fascinated me however the way that high school and college sport is set up, even culturally, is so fundamentally different to the way sport is organised here means that it's take a lot of effort in terms of infrastructure to get it right.

The whole draft system over there has always fascinated me however the way that high school and college sport is set up, even culturally, is so fundamentally different to the way sport is organised here means that it's take a lot of effort in terms of infrastructure to get it right.

Yeah I think you are right. It's always fascinated me as well and is a good model I think. For it to work here it would have to be the same, maybe using the centres of excellence they have dotted about the place now (or whatever they are called). Think it will be hard to get it to work properly here. Won't work if each club gets to just pick the 5 players to put in to the draft pot like article suggests. Plus I bet it would be challenged by players parents and even law makers....imagine being 14 from Aberdeen and being told you are being papped off to Kilmarnock....

Yeah I think you are right. It's always fascinated me as well and is a good model I think. For it to work here it would have to be the same, maybe using the centres of excellence they have dotted about the place now (or whatever they are called). Think it will be hard to get it to work properly here. Won't work if each club gets to just pick the 5 players to put in to the draft pot like article suggests. Plus I bet it would be challenged by players parents and even law makers....imagine being 14 from Aberdeen and being told you are being papped off to Kilmarnock....

Exactly this, and Capt Oats' point, too. 14 years old is too young, though. Needs to be 17/18/19.

The system in the USA is set up totally differently; the infrastructure is there to support players relocating. Completely different mindset, too; players wanting to 'make it' are well versed in the understanding that they'll need to leave home at a certain age, possibly not to return for years.

Rookies quite often end up being housed with a 'Veteren' of the team (in the NHL, certainly) for a few seasons so they're kept under wraps and don't lose the rag with money, behaviour issues etc.

Lot of it depends on how it's structured but the fundamental difference is it's one league across the whole country in the US, with each 'National' level team having an affiliate they can send players to for development, or quite often players are drafted and sent straight back to college to play another season, after which they move on to the affiliate club. It can take 3/4/5 years for a prospect to fulfil their talent.

The draft thing seems like an extended loand market,

Aye - just read a bit more on the SFA statement. More a draft loan system for youth between Premiership and Championship teams. Suppose it forces clubs to loan out but would it force them to play them? So we could for example have to farm out 5 playears who then don't get a game?

Aye - just read a bit more on the SFA statement. More a draft loan system for youth between Premiership and Championship teams. Suppose it forces clubs to loan out but would it force them to play them? So we could for example have to farm out 5 playears who then don't get a game?

It sounds to me like they want to reduce the number of jersey fillers in the youth set ups.

So they are suggesting that clubs like us have fewer school leavers in the youth set up. This leaves the problem of what to do with the extra boys who don't make the grade. Their solution is this draft system where the lower league clubs are obligated to take a certain amount of boys (if the boys want to go there obviously).

• Like 1

Guy at works son played for Dunfermline Under 20's and he was at the match against Motherwell Under 20's on Monday night. Said we were excellent with our left back and left winger particularly impressive.

Looking at the team, left back would probably be David Ferguson, and left winger would be Dom Thomas.

I'm sure the American version has a wage cap as well how do they decide what that is and can all the clubs involved afford it?

Can't see it happening and even if it did a bosman type court ruling would break it anyway

Or maybe I've got it wrong I've not really read the proposal

Am I right in saying Jack Smith, of EK, son Andy, was on our books until fairly recently? Or did I make that up?

Jack played and scored as a trialist for us against Morecambe. I think he was with us at a younger age, he's certainly friends with a good few of our players.

Fraser Johnstone who came off the bench for EK is ex Motherwell. IIRC, he played against Cowdenbeath on the day of the Morecambe friendly.

• 3 weeks later...