4Th Place & Possible Europa Cup

Welldaft Mk1

Clubs should always be preparing for at least the next season. We should have transfer targets identified for every window, anticipate who might be leaving and how we can replace them, and gradually introduce young players as and when we can.

If you don't, you end up in the situation where one sumer you have 14 players leave and have to start from scratch.

Quite. If we were to wait for the season to finish before working on departures and arrivals then we'd be at the back of the queue. Other clubs would not feel duty bound to wait and would look on us as being mugs. Quite a few rival clubs have already some Pre Contract Agreements in place. Ian Baraclough was quite clear that having to wait until the playoffs last season put us at a severe disadvanatge in terms of reshaping the squad. Quite understandable then that fans pick up on rumours and snippets of signing gossip - the meat and drink of messageboards.

On that point, whilst Ian Baraclough can draw much criticism for his time in charge, in managing to find the likes of Moult and Kennedy (who I think will shape into a decent centre half) from his position at the back of the queue, he justifiably deserves praise.

• Like 1

On that point, whilst Ian Baraclough can draw much criticism for his time in charge, in managing to find the likes of Moult and Kennedy (who I think will shape into a decent centre half) from his position at the back of the queue, he justifiably deserves praise.

So IB got a a couple right? Hardly a staggering success rate

Give enough chimpanzees a typewriter...

I see he's lined up for a slot on TalkSport2, hope to feck he's not analysing formations and starting XIs #clueless

I'm not sure if IB found Moult and Kennedy or our new scouting infrastructure (implemented by Les) found them. Nothing against IB, but I'm hoping it was the latter.

On that point, out of curiosity, did we ever replace Gary Owers or was there just a reshuffle of staff? Looking back at the announcement about him leaving the statement suggested they're be looking to appoint someone: "Looking towards the 2015/16 season, the Club will now begin the process of finding a replacement for Gary to start as soon as possible." http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2015/06/23/owers-leaves-for-gateshead/

It's never been officially announced but I can remember somebody asked flow on twitter and I've had a wee trawl back to find out that it's ex Port Vale player Martin Foyle who is head zof recruitment

Cheers. I was just curious as I definitely couldn't remember any announcements having been made about it but given it's almost a year since Owers left and how much the club (and Les) have talked up the scouting system/network/focus on recruitment it seemed unlikely that they wouldn't have brought someone in. Though at the same time they were making announcements about non-playing staff recruitment left, right and centre last year so I was wondering if I just hadn't been paying attention (which is entirely possible).

I had also thought about it the other week when McGhee was talking about us paying fees for the likes of Moult, Johnson etc and his mention of scouting and recruitment in that context.

Whilst Europe would have been nice i was certainly not backing Celtic nor their bigoted rivals from the other side of Glasgow. For me id rather earn the right to get into Europe than someone else do it on our behalf, we have accomplished far more this season than we thought was possible just a month and a half ago. Lets build on this season in the summer and if we get Europe then brilliant if not then lets win a cup that would be far more enjoyable!!

Despite the media fawning over Rangers saying how far they have come, I think it further proves how far Celtic have fallen. They really are a poor team by their standards.

I had little confidence in them doing is any favours and wouldn't have been surprised if Hibs had done them in the final.

• Like 1

Whilst Europe would have been nice i was certainly not backing Celtic nor their bigoted rivals from the other side of Glasgow. For me id rather earn the right to get into Europe than someone else do it on our behalf, we have accomplished far more this season than we thought was possible just a month and a half ago. Lets build on this season in the summer and if we get Europe then brilliant if not then lets win a cup that would be far more enjoyable!!

I never quite get this train of thought.

It doesn't matter how you do it, if you qualify for Europe then you've earned it. End of story.

Whatever the chain of events of were, regardless of whether the final link in the chain happened to been a result involving other teams that got you over the line, it doesn't matter a hoot. If you've qualified then of course you will have earned it.

You haven't just been given a place out of goodwill or on the back one result (although that place Fair Play thing that year was stretching it to the limit.......) you've accrued enough points over the course of the campaign to be in the position required to qualify.

I struggle to see why folk think a qualification is perceived to be somehow devalued or unmerited just because it might involve an event or result going your way involving other teams.

Either way it doesn't matter a fuck now of course!!

• Like 1

Look at the bright side - at least McGhee will have a chance to organize his pre-season scedule without worrying about an away game to a team we cannae spell or find on the map.

I note the Europa league first round, first leg is played June 30th.

The way it's going we may as well just bite the bullet and go for summer football - FIFA and UEFA are driving us that way as it is with their qualifying matches being played as late as 10 June.

Edited by CMWellfan

Look at the bright side - at least McGhee will have a chance to organize his pre-season scedule without worrying about an away game to a team we cannae spell or find on the map.

I note the Europa league first round, first leg is played June 30th.

The way it's going we may as well just bite the bullet and go for summer football - FIFA and UEFA are driving us that way as it is with their qualifying matches being played as late as 10 June.

League cups games start on Saturday July 16th - we are nearly there