Safe Standing

Lukemfc1

Had a look about and couldn't see anything posted regarding this recently so was just curious..

Has anyone 'in the know' heard anything recently about a safe standing section being introduced at Fir Park? Just seen an article on the BBC confirming that Celtic are introducing a section for around 3k next season. From previous articles I've always heard the club have been very receptive to the idea and I seen us as being the next in line to implement this after Celtic. I acknowledge a compromise seems to have been made with the club in that the last few sections of the east stand are allowed to stand but surely a more permanent structure would only add to the atmosphere/experience? The obvious drawbacks for this I guess would be having the money to physically install the safe standing equipment not sure how much this costs in comparison with standard seating? My feeling is that if the last 2/3 sections were converted to safe standing a lot more folk on here would buy a season book (perhaps at a reduced rate) in order to ensure they get a place within the new section. I appreciate not everyone wants to stand but with the younger guys that already do and many older guys who want to relive the days of the terrace experience I think we could easily fill a section with season tickets. Overall I think this could add a wee bit of vibrancy to proceedings for the new season.

Had a look about and couldn't see anything posted regarding this recently so was just curious..

Has anyone 'in the know' heard anything recently about a safe standing section being introduced at Fir Park? Just seen an article on the BBC confirming that Celtic are introducing a section for around 3k next season. From previous articles I've always heard the club have been very receptive to the idea and I seen us as being the next in line to implement this after Celtic. I acknowledge a compromise seems to have been made with the club in that the last few sections of the east stand are allowed to stand but surely a more permanent structure would only add to the atmosphere/experience? The obvious drawbacks for this I guess would be having the money to physically install the safe standing equipment not sure how much this costs in comparison with standard seating? My feeling is that if the last 2/3 sections were converted to safe standing a lot more folk on here would buy a season book (perhaps at a reduced rate) in order to ensure they get a place within the new section. I appreciate not everyone wants to stand but with the younger guys that already do and many older guys who want to relive the days of the terrace experience I think we could easily fill a section with season tickets. Overall I think this could add a wee bit of vibrancy to proceedings for the new season.

You've already answered your own question... we HAVE safe standing.

You've already answered your own question... we HAVE safe standing.

Why are Smeltic and other teams looking to implement then? Don't get me wrong I think there are too many safety rules but I'm unsure if the governing body/authorities actually believe fans standing at seated areas is safe. For many years there was a battle between stewards and fans regarding this. Not sure what has changed between then and now to make what we have categorised as 'safe standing' or if it more likely a compromise between fans groups and our own club.

I don't remember seeing 650k number but I do remember the costs being larger than initially thought as it wasn't as simple as unscrewing old seats and putting new ones in. The stand had to get renovated etc. For me, money could be used better elsewhere, given we let people stand anyway (give or take a few incidents).

Aye real legit A Rail seat costs £80 (a regular seat is £30). so a section of 500 seats would be £40k , or a potential wage for a first team player

If the workies did it for nothing and there were no other costs involved other than the actual seats.

If the workies did it for nothing and there were no other costs involved other than the actual seats.

Exactly. Plus I'm pretty sure the existing terracing steps wouldn't be able to support the rail seats so would need to rebuild those.

Give me a new player anyday....folk are standing already. Now if we could get beer in that would be a different story.

Open a bar in the stand

All profits go towards creating a safe standing area

Sign a player with the money that would have otherwise went on said work

Everyone's a winner! :)

What the fuck is unsafe standing? If someone could point out where I've been going wrong all these years, I'd appreciate it.

There's not exactly a shortage of space on matchdays at Fir Park. If a supporter wants to stand during the game, there's places for them to do so without hassle.

A complete waste of money (money we don't have) bringing this into Fir Park.

• Like 1

The enclosures at the main stand were always popular when open - can't see it costing a fortune to bring them back into play

They can't put the rail seats in there, for the same reason they couldn't put normal seats in when they closed them. It would obstruct the emergency exits from the main stand (and finding a solution wouldn't be cost effective for the small number of seats.)

I stood there as a boy too.

What the fuck is unsafe standing? If someone could point out where I've been going wrong all these years, I'd appreciate it.

There's not exactly a shortage of space on matchdays at Fir Park. If a supporter wants to stand during the game, there's places for them to do so without hassle.

A complete waste of money (money we don't have) bringing this into Fir Park.

If "a" supporter wants to do it, it's not problem. If 1000 supporters want to do it, do you think they'd let us?

And if you don't know what unsafe standing is, you've never been to East Stirling on a Wednesday night in January.

Can't see anything like this being implemented unless we moved ground.

Tbh I only wish the east stand was steaper so nobody felt the urge to stand up when the ball is in the corner. Every time there is something happening in the corner in front of where the singing section is there is a Mexican wave effect of people standing up along the east to try and see.