New Cup Formats

I think what he's getting at is if there were purely pre-season friendlies he'd have had his operation already and been up and running for the new season, but because we had important games it was delayed to make sure we qualified, and therefore he's mow missing.

Im not saying that's the case, just I think that's what the above poster was maybe inferring.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding (mentioned previously in this thread) that Moult had the injury rolling on from last season.

I'm not being combatitive so don't jump on me, but isn't it custom and practise for a player to go under the knife as soon as the season closes in order to give them as much opportunity possible to be ready for the next season?

In essence, I'm just asking a question. If we didn't have competitive matches so early in the season, would we or any other team like us for that matter have taken a different approach to squad usage and injury 'management' (for want of a better word) during the months of June, July and August ?

McGhee said himself in an interview (I think after the final group game) that the LC had impacted upon his pre-season preparations and eluded to the need to catch up.

It's a read between the lines but to what degree of impact does such an early start to a season have upon a squad already asked to play a long season?

I think what he's getting at is if there were purely pre-season friendlies he'd have had his operation already and been up and running for the new season, but because we had important games it was delayed to make sure we qualified, and therefore he's mow missing.

Im not saying that's the case, just I think that's what the above poster was maybe inferring.

This. Cheers dude!

As it goes, I'm not necessarily saying it either. Just asking a question.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding (mentioned previously in this thread) that Moult had the injury rolling on from last season.

isn't it custom and practise for a player to go under the knife as soon as the season closes in order to give them as much opportunity possible to be ready for the next season?

In essence, I'm just asking a question. If we didn't have competitive matches so early in the season, would we or any other team like us for that matter have taken a different approach to squad usage and injury 'management' (for want of a better word) during the months of June, July and August ?

McGhee said himself in an interview (I think after the final group game) that the LC had impacted upon his pre-season preparations and eluded to the need to catch up.

I have exactly the same question and was a bit surprised that he didn't go under the knife sooner. There's no doubt the short term challenge of the League Cup has affected the medium, maybe even longer, term training regime as Mark McGhee has said.

• Like 1

I'm sure I read Moult had hoped that rest would clear the injury, but when he started pre-season it flaired up again, so he needed an operation.

That explains why he didn't get the op in June.

I did wonder about him playing the 1st couple of games though.

I'm sure I read Moult had hoped that rest would clear the injury, but when he started pre-season it flaired up again, so he needed an operation.

That explains why he didn't get the op in June.

I did wonder about him playing the 1st couple of games though.

Just about to type this.

I just think they gambled on the injury clearing up, they were wrong, he then needed the procedure, he would therefore be absent now regardless of the pre-season format.

I agree that the LC has altered our training and preperation but that is for us to find a solution as we get used to the new timings.

I agree that the LC has altered our training and preperation but that is for us to find a solution as we get used to the new timings.

We knew about it in plenty time to plan accordingly, and unlike in Europe, where it could be 2 games or 6 games we knew it was 4 games.

Some interesting results last night. As with the group stage, more "big" clubs have been knocked out. Now a cup competition can always contain the odd surpise or two but not to this extent. So whats going on? Are the bigger clubs' early season fitness levels lower than the smaller clubs - quite possible but thats always been the case. However its also quite possible that the bigger clubs are not treating the competition seriously.

Yeah, it's bloody great to see so many upsets.

I wouldn't have thought it was because the "bigger" clubs didn't take it seriously but are certainly at greater risk of complacency against a "wee" team playing their individual cup final.

Just curious, is it the case that the smaller clubs fitness levels are better than the top flight teams? And why would that be the case?

Yeah, it's bloody great to see so many upsets.

Just curious, is it the case that the smaller clubs fitness levels are better than the top flight teams? And why would that be the case?

I heard this mentioned on Sportsound a week or two back by one of the pundits, it might have been Alan Preston? He said that many small part time clubs continue training over the summer and therefore their early season fitness levels are higher.

I heard this mentioned on Sportsound a week or two back by one of the pundits, it might have been Alan Preston? He said that many small part time clubs continue training over the summer and therefore their early season fitness levels are higher.

To extend on the point above, part-time players perhaps retain a level of fitness 12 months a year, which while it may be lower than a full time guy at his peak, is still a decent level.

Not sure if it's a factor that playing in league 1 or 2 in most cases won't be about the money, or as a job, it's something they do because they want to play football.