Scottish League Cup - Second Round Celtic V Motherwell Wed 10 Aug 19:45

Yabba's Turd

Only fair if players and the boss hand back their wages to reimburse fans who travelled. Total embarrassing.

Tommy McLean would never stomach that performance twice. Wee Dougie was relentless in attacking the old firm on their patch. Current lot are a disgrace to our colours.

Need some guts and belief in Glasgow, and McGhee took both away before game started and the players just capitulated once the whistle blew.

• Like 1

Your not far wtong. If you recruit from that level more often than not that's what you become. Ironically Johnson is about the only one who looks like he could play regularly at a higher level

It depends what you class a higher level. League One, yes.

It's always a bad sign when a manager starts bringing in job lots from one agent. Hennighan, Tait and Clay could well be the new Murphy, Molloy and Keegan.

I confidently predict we will be fine this season but lose to Celtic and most probably Rangers a fair bit. Much like other seasons gone past.

They sign players like Dembele and Sinclair. We sign players from. Non league and league 2. It's no huge surprise. However we aren't that different from many of the other teams in the league. We will win one every so often but lose the majority.

The players we have are what you get when you budget for 10th and no cup runs. That's what we have chosen to go with so we need to deal with it.

All that aside....we sat and defended too deep and then had to open up and go for it. I was fearful we would conceded another couple in th3 second half.

Shame...but we move on.

• Like 1

For those who missed tonight's game, good news is that there will be a repeat performance a week on Saturday at Ibrox. Why do other teams that are no better than us have more belief when they go to Glasgow?

They tend to have players who are fit enough to compete physically for at least the first half.

Lasted until 4-0 before heading for the exit.

An all too familiar story at Parkhead, I foolishly thought we'd maybe approach a cup game in a more positive manner.

More often than not McGhee is caught out when he overthinks his tactics. Tonight we try and combat our deficiencies in the fullback area by playing 3 slow fullbacks, resulting in a back 3 against 1 striker.

Credit to Celtic, they were excellent but we never got near them. The way to compete with Celtic is to have a go at their defence but to do that you need to be comfortable on the ball. Unfortunately when you go with the tactic to sit deep and sacrifice possession, you are never going to get into a rhythm.

Tonight is not the best night to judge our transfer activity over the summer but there are a few question marks hovering, none more so than the resigning of Hammell. Should McGhee really have offered him a 2 year contract if he needs reinforcements alongside him when we play Celtic? We'll get get caught out time and time again for pace with Tait and Hammell as our fullbacks.

And as for Craig Clay, think I've seen him 4 times now, he's more anonymous than Jake Taylor.

• Like 2

I think there were a lot of things wrong tonight. Too defensive from the off. Invited them on top of us and couldnt get up the park. I think we missed McHugh. He and Clay looked a good pairing together. Much as I love Las he was way off the pace tonight and I just dont think he has it anymore at that level. Too many individual errors defensively. All that said and done, Celtic have much better players than we have and on that form I dont think it would have mattered what we did they would have had too much for us. Sammie saved us from an absolute hiding.

A lot of over reactions here tonight.

Not the first time we have received a thumping at Parkhead and won't be the last. I count 6 defeats conceding 3 or more and not scoring since 2011....and only 1 of them was 3-0....

Not justifying it as such but putting it in a bit of context...

Trying to be more specific. Cadden and Johnson when they could get the ball at least tried to be positive. Elsewhere, hard to give any positives...

Full back is a major concern. Chalmers or Hammell at left back? Tait at right back will get done every time with pace. Positional sense doesn't actually seem that bad but a slight change of pace and a winger is past him. Maybe he'll adjust and pretty sure McGhee will persevere with him but Laing might be a better option just now.

Midfield. Haven't seen Clay so can't comment on him. Alarmingly watched the game tonight and still haven't seen him.. Actually he had a chance in the first half so to be positive, you could say he got forward now and again.

McDonald. Only fit striker we have. And he's not fit. Why did we send Moore out on loan? McDonald looks frustrated and unfortunately he doesn't always channel frustration well.

Samson. Catch the ball. Once. Please. Made saves but often pushed it back into the danger area.

Keep telling myself that Celtic are not the team we should be measuring ourselves against...

The actual outcome, not so fussed about. Celtic away in the League Cup? Always going to be hard and as much as it became a little tiresome hearing Stuart McCall come away with it every time, he was right. Yeah you do need them to be off their game and for us to have a blinder.

But you actually need to try to play for that to have any hope that it might happen and that's the annoying thing for me. It felt like we hardly gave ourselves a chance.

What might have have happened had we started the game the way we approached the first 10 minutes of the second half, with a team selection and formation that at least hinted at showing ambition?

You know what we might still have lost 5-0 but at least we would have left there feeling that we'd at least had a stab at winning a Cup tie. Instead it feels like tonight was a complete waste of time. Roll up, sit back and wait for the inevitable.

Pretty pish really.

• Like 2

Trying to be more specific. Cadden and Johnson when they could get the ball at least tried to be positive. Elsewhere, hard to give any positives...

Full back is a major concern. Chalmers or Hammell at left back? Tait at right back will get done every time with pace. Positional sense doesn't actually seem that bad but a slight change of pace and a winger is past him. Maybe he'll adjust and pretty sure McGhee will persevere with him but Laing might be a better option just now.

Midfield. Haven't seen Clay so can't comment on him. Alarmingly watched the game tonight and still haven't seen him.. Actually he had a chance in the first half so to be positive, you could say he got forward now and again.

McDonald. Only fit striker we have. And he's not fit. Why did we send Moore out on loan? McDonald looks frustrated and unfortunately he doesn't always channel frustration well.

Samson. Catch the ball. Once. Please. Made saves but often pushed it back into the danger area.

Keep telling myself that Celtic are not the team we should be measuring ourselves against...

No offence mate but your last line just epitomises the Scottish mentality and why we are always losers in football. Because its Celtic its OK to get shagged... no it feckin isnt