Former Motherwell Fc Players Thread

Andy_P

We're probably talking about slightly different things.

Some junior clubs, like for example your Linlithgow Roses, Boness Uniteds etc are large and very professionally run businesses and could easily compete in the senior grades. Players are paid handsome salaries probably better than some senior clubs. At the bottom end of the professional junior game you have smaller clubs who don't pay salaries (and therefore aren't liable for income tax) and play their players as "amateurs". You then have pretty big "amateur" clubs who are run really quite professionally. There are various ways to pay wages, expenses and transfer fees as I'm sure you'll know.

The discussion was about eligibility for the Scottish Amatuer select team. As said above it's not complicated, players registered with the SAFA are eligible.

Anyone registered with the SJFA isn't.

We're probably talking about slightly different things.

Some junior clubs, like for example your Linlithgow Roses, Boness Uniteds etc are large and very professionally run businesses and could easily compete in the senior grades. Players are paid handsome salaries probably better than some senior clubs. At the bottom end of the professional junior game you have smaller clubs who don't pay salaries (and therefore aren't liable for income tax) and play their players as "amateurs". You then have pretty big "amateur" clubs who are run really quite professionally. There are various ways to pay wages, expenses and transfer fees as I'm sure you'll know.

Yip I get all that, but that has nothing to do with Bobby Donnellys current eligibility for the Scottish Amateur team

Yip I get all that, but that has nothing to do with Bobby Donnellys current eligibility for the Scottish Amateur team

Ok, I get that. So as long as an amateur player is registered with the SAFA, irrespective of which type of team he plays for, he is eligible for selection by the international amateur team. I'm sure that Hastie Weir represented Scotland at amateur level even although he played for us in the old first division.

I used to play football with Garry Fleming of Dumbarton's brother and at the time Ian Murray got the St. Mirren job, the chat was that he wanted to take him with him, but Fleming couldn't afford to give up his day job and go full-time with St. Mirren. The wages he earned from working, supplemented by his part time Dumbarton wages were far greater than what St. Mirren would pay.

Same with Rory McAllister, the lower league goalscorer. He's been offered a few deals full-time and he turned them down initially to finish his apprenticeship (unusually sensible for a footballer) but is now probably on the same boat.

Seems it difficult to make a living from full-time football outside of the top flight.

It's been noted that part time refs often earn more than full time players at the top level in Scotland.

Ok, I get that. So as long as an amateur player is registered with the SAFA, irrespective of which type of team he plays for, he is eligible for selection by the international amateur team. I'm sure that Hastie Weir represented Scotland at amateur level even although he played for us in the old first division.

You don't get it.

Players registered with the SAFA can play for their select team. The only players who are registered with the SAFA are players who play for amateur clubs.

Junior players are registered on non recreational forms and regardless of whether they have a contract with a club they aren't eligible for the SAFA team.

When I was young (many years ago) a lot of the amateur select teams were made up from players from Queens' Park which was famous, in those days, for being amateurs. That may not be the case now but it does show that you didn't need to be playing the amateur leagues to be in one of their select teams.

You don't get it.

Players registered with the SAFA can play for their select team. The only players who are registered with the SAFA are players who play for amateur clubs.

Junior players are registered on non recreational forms and regardless of whether they have a contract with a club they aren't eligible for the SAFA team.

So, what we are saying is that the amateur/professional status of a player is not the overriding criterion rather its whether or not they play for an amateur team (registered with the SAFA). If so, then it has changed somewhat from years gone by.

Unsurprisingly, Robinson didn't last long at Oldham.

Wonder if there will be implications for Ripley and Erwin...

They'll probably still be average as fuck, I wouldn't worry.

Unsurprisingly, Robinson didn't last long at Oldham.

Wonder if there will be implications for Ripley and Erwin...

Last I heard Erwin had a bust up with the (former) manager and walked out. Forum chat right enough. Might be bollocks like it is on here!

He's not been picked for a while though so there might be something in it.

The biggest thing Erwin is missing from his game since he left us is Skippy telling him what to do for 90 mins.

Absolutely. Erwin was only ever an effective striker once McDonald and him clicked. I'm not really bothered about Erwin tbh. We got $450,000 for a guy who played about 1/3 of a good season.