Left Backs

sinjy

he certaily ended up in goals at some point and you may be right that it was his first game. Was it a friendly against Tranmere? I also seem to recall him scoring a hat trick for us as well, early on in his career. we were down by 0-1 to Montrose at home with 15 mins to go. Joe got moved forward and scored 3 goals in a 4-1 victory for us.............. it would be great if someone could confirm that since the mind plays tricks after a while :-)

My era of going to the games covered Bobby McCallum, Joe Wark and Tom Boyd. Moved over here in 1989 and so the rest I have only seen on TV or odd game over the years.

My old man confirms Joe's hat trick, and also him being a better left winger than left back.

Believe me, Tom Boyd is known as an absolute horror, even within Celtic Park.

With regards to Mark Hateley, he was always an aloof, arrogant bastards. Perhaps, given his background of being a successful, high profile player, but also having muppets in hell holes such as Renfrew fill his pockets. He's a relic, but the very worst was Graham Roberts.

Anyway, a different thread perhaps.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your profession that would bring you in contact with these guys? And, who was filling hateleys pockets and why?

Disagree. It was his form in that position that earned him the move to Wigan which was arguably his best spell in the first team. One of the poorer full backs we've had.

I thought McMillan moved into left midfield when Hammell came into the team. It gave us a solid left side as McMillan could support Hammell, contribute to midfield and also try to move up the wing.

It's probably the most cover Hammell's ever had!

McMillan made his debut in centre midfield in our mid 90s 3-5-2 formation as well. A bit of a utility man. Scored a couple of decent free kicks as well. A shame he played his last professional game just after turning 30 due to injury.

Both McCall and McGhee played Hammell right back Busta. Having a full back constantly turning inside to get on their good foot is murder, similar to watching Whittaker play left back for Scotland countless times over the past few years.

McMillan made his debut in centre midfield in our mid 90s 3-5-2 formation as well. A bit of a utility man. Scored a couple of decent free kicks as well. A shame he played his last professional game just after turning 30 due to injury.

Both McCall and McGhee played Hammell right back Busta. Having a full back constantly turning inside to get on their good foot is murder, similar to watching Whittaker play left back for Scotland countless times over the past few years.

Versatility it's the Motherwell way is it not!

Throwing another one into the mix as far as McMillan was concerned one of the players he was competing against at the time for a place over various positions was the similarly versatile Iain Ross who also had a few games at full-back, in midfield and Harri Kampman even had him playing just off Owen Coyle in a few of those insipid early season games when we were letting folk for in a fiver.

Versatility it's the Motherwell way is it not!

Throwing another one into the mix as far as McMillan was concerned one of the players he was competing against at the time for a place over various positions was the similarly versatile Iain Ross who also had a few games at full-back, in midfield and Harri Kampman even had him playing just off Owen Coyle in a few of those insipid early season games when we were letting folk for in a fiver.

He ended up in charge of the football comprehensive at Braidhurst High. When I used to work in the aquatec, he used to bring folk in frequently. That was seven years ago right enough so he may have moved on since then.

• Like 1

I thought McMillan moved into left midfield when Hammell came into the team. It gave us a solid left side as McMillan could support Hammell, contribute to midfield and also try to move up the wing.

It's probably the most cover Hammell's ever had!

Looking back at the line ups I don't think the numbers are any guide. In McMillan's last season Hammell mostly wore the number 4 shirt.

Looks like McMillan was mainly playing midfield latterly as the back four then would have been - Corrigan, Kemble, Strong, Hammell - with Ouefio filling in at right back or centre back. Hammell was more or less a fixture by that stage, played in 34 out of 38 matches.

Typical XI would have been - Goram - Corrigan, Kemble, Strong, Hammell - Brannan, Leitch, McMillan - Spencer, McCulloch, Elliott.

You could rearrange the shape to a 4-4-2 with, Spencer in attacking midfield or McMillan playing inside and Elliott wide.

Looking back at the line ups I don't think the numbers are any guide. In McMillan's last season Hammell mostly wore the number 4 shirt.

No he didn't. By the time Hammell made his debut, squad numbers were in play. He's never worn the number 4 shirt. I'm sure he's worn 25, 16 and latterly 3 during his time with Motherwell. Although I'm sure Joeboy will be along soon with official confirmation.

No he didn't. By the time Hammell made his debut, squad numbers were in play. He's never worn the number 4 shirt. I'm sure he's worn 25, 16 and latterly 3 during his time with Motherwell. Although I'm sure Joeboy will be along soon with official confirmation.

Bang on the money. 25 in 1999/00, 16 in 2000/01 and 2001/02 and then 3 since.

I have looked again to see if I can clear up some of the points made by others.

After the cup win Nijholt is listed as LB from the start of the season (24 games)until January 1992 when McKinnon was signed. Nijholt then seemed to switch to RB with Griffin dropping out.

Angus is listed as LB only in the last game of that season. He did however fill in at LB for 4 games in the run up to the cup final the season before when Boyd was injured.

McSkimming started 1996/97 as LB. But as someone else mentioned Ian Ross took over in the second half of the season. Steve McMillan was also in the team at that time and with squad numbers actual line ups are harder to work out.

By 1997/8 McMillan is listed as the regular LB.

he certaily ended up in goals at some point and you may be right that it was his first game. Was it a friendly against Tranmere? I also seem to recall him scoring a hat trick for us as well, early on in his career. we were down by 0-1 to Montrose at home with 15 mins to go. Joe got moved forward and scored 3 goals in a 4-1 victory for us.............. it would be great if someone could confirm that since the mind plays tricks after a while :-)

My era of going to the games covered Bobby McCallum, Joe Wark and Tom Boyd. Moved over here in 1989 and so the rest I have only seen on TV or odd game over the years.

I remember him having to deputise for an injured keeper on a few occasions, more exact details are long lost in the mists of time.