Scottish Premiership Motherwell V Ross County Sat 29 Oct 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Motherwell FC - from Bellshill to Brazil in three days, forever it has been thus.

Maybe a slight exaggeration but that was more like it. Pace, retaining possession, good crossing, holding our own in midfield. Everything Wednesday night was not.

Couple of times in the first half a bit slack defending set plays but we got better at that as confidence grew during the second half. Not a failure today and I think McMillan has the prospect to be a right good player. Really excited by him from what I've seen.

Lucas looks a find if we can keep him fit.

Ainsworth we all know is unplayable when he's on it but in two starts this season we've had two wins, two goals, two assists. Mark - you know it makes sense....

It's been a characteristic of McGhee as Motherwell manager that when he goes through a bad spell and a number of fans turn on him and call for his head, he stumbles upon a plan to turn things around. Happened last season(twice) and in his 2nd season during his 1st spell in charge.

So I wasn't totally surprised to see us win today, however never in my wildest dreams did I expect it to be in such an empathetic manner. Has to be said though that's the worst I've ever seen Ross County look, usually you have to work hard and fight for everything just to get a point off them but that was a bit of a stroll in the park today. Were we that good or were they that bad? Probably a bit both to be honest. It helps though that every single one of the starting line up had a good game, don't think I could fault one of them. McGhee asked for big performances from his players and he certainly got that with McDonald, Ainsworth, Cadden, Tait, Lucas and Heneghan in particular all excellent.

Lucas just added something different in the middle of the park, his use of the ball and ability to keep things moving combined with McDonald's link up play meant we hardly seen any of the brutal long ball stuff we were subjected to on Wednesday night. Actually played some really nice stuff today and the 3rd and 4th goal were really well worked and great to watch. Only negative was not keeping a clean sheet which I felt the much maligned Samson and back four probably deserved.

Can't complain though, a resounding victory playing some entertaining football is all any of us can ask for and it was a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch today. Good to see Campbell make his debut and for Maclean to get another run out off the bench as well. Hopefully we can get a bit of momentum going and take something from Dens Park next week, which if we play like we did today we're more than capable of.

Great result today although I had to miss it. After brickbats on Wednesday the management and players deserve credit today. I hope I'm wrong about Clay and Lucas and if they can sustain today's form or somewhere near it I'll happily admit I was wrong. Is it possible that Clay and Lucas play better together than Clay and Lasley? These things do happen in football.

COYW

Great result today although I had to miss it. After brickbats on Wednesday the management and players deserve credit today. I hope I'm wrong about Clay and Lucas and if they can sustain today's form or somewhere near it I'll happily admit I was wrong. Is it possible that Clay and Lucas play better together than Clay and Lasley? These things do happen in football.

COYW

Very possible however if you imagine how bad our midfield was on Wednesday, there's was similar today so for all I thought the two of them did very well, they were up against not a lot.

I'm curious, what evidence are you basing this on? To my knowledge he has had no starts this season. As a Motherwell fan I wasn't a regular at Inverness games, however, if you were I will accept your assessment of Brill.

An average keeper who prevented us from being humiliated by Celtic the other week. And before you mention the penalty, McManus (?) was just as culpable as Samson.

Again what evidence are you basing this on? Keepers make mistakes, players make mistakes. Its just a fact that when a keeper makes a mistake, there is a strong chance that it will result in a goal. Celtic keeper Craig Gordon is just as likely to make a mistake as Samson, however, he gets paid ten times as much.

In my opinion Samson and Brill are both average SPL keepers. I can base this on the fact that If they werent, they wouldnt be playing for us.

If you look further up I said this was from Caley supporting mates. Being up here I know a lot and every one said the same things.

Obviously he isnt some kind of saviour, I just think,when we have a keeper throwing in nearly a goal a game and who is slated for an inability to command his box we should give a guy who holds those traits a game.

A lot of positives from today! Fucking love Louis Moult, works like fuck n deserved his goal. Cadds is a real prospect,pace and power, just needs to sharpen end product and we will be on to a fortune. Lionel and Skippy caused all kinds of problems. Both full backs looked pretty solid and the middle of mid looked decent. Lucas had a very good game. Ben Heneghan reminds so much of big Hutch its scary! He is pretty poor wi the ball at his feet but what a fucking defender,big unit,wins headers,great tackle timing,reads it well and fuck me does he love diving in front of shots.

Only real minus today was our lack of subs. 60 mins gone,were 4-0 up and County are done. If there is EVER a time to run out Campbell & McLean its then, esp after giving McLean starts in those previous pumpings,lets see what the lad can do in a confident team! And youll never get a better chance to give Bowman a free shot at some confidence, giving him half an our against a poor and downtrodden defence could have done his confidence wonders. The subs we did eventually make were utterly meaningless

Nearly didnt go today. So glad I did. I wouldnt have believed it otherwise! As others have said, it shows the difference when the manager keeps it simple and plays everyone in their correct positions (bar Ainsworth who was outsanding) Moult and McDonald have a great understanding and with the support from Cadden and Lionel, County just couldnt live with us. Clay and Lucas kept it simple and retained possession well. Lucas played with his head up the whole game looking for a forward pass. What a difference. The defence did ok but there were still a couple of sticky moments from set pieces and backing of players encouraging shots from distance, so that lesson still hasnt been learned. The starting 11 deserves the chance to go again next week.

Any sign of highlights? (normally every time I ask this they appear within 5 mins, so hopefully its the same here!)

After midnight. The SPFL got huffy a wee while back and insisted they couldn't post them around 10pm as they had been doing for some time that it had to be at twelve.

Your only concession would be if we are on Alba which normally airs at 2200 but it's tomorrow night we're on, not tonight.

After midnight. The SPFL got huffy a wee while back and insisted they couldn't post them around 10pm as they had been doing for some time that it had to be at twelve.

Your only concession would be if we are on Alba which normally airs at 2200 but it's tomorrow night we're on, not tonight.

Or the SPFL's highlights are up on YouTube, if you can persuade your browser that you're not in the UK or Ireland.

What is this forum like? Now Lucas is some kind of super player that will rescue the season! We need him to do it more than once but he did well today. Hopefully he will but he still has a lot to prove.

The main thing though was we worked hard and look like we were playing to a game plan. Early in the match Ross County were actually better than us, we kept giving the ball away and we really need to work on our ball retention. However the first goal gave us confidence and took it away from County. I was actually talking to a Hearts supporter earlier in the week and he was saying how so often the first goal decides a match. Teams just seem to fold at 1-0 these days and that certainly happened today.

We did much better today but you also have to temper that a bit with the fact that Ross County were probably the worst side we've played this season.

We have Dundee and Partick coming up and it's important that we keep improving and get at least another 4 points before the tougher matches come round because the league is very, very tight in the bottom half and teams are pulling off results that are unexpected.

• Like 2

Only real minus today was our lack of subs. 60 mins gone,were 4-0 up and County are done. If there is EVER a time to run out Campbell & McLean its then, esp after giving McLean starts in those previous pumpings,lets see what the lad can do in a confident team! And youll never get a better chance to give Bowman a free shot at some confidence, giving him half an our against a poor and downtrodden defence could have done his confidence wonders. The subs we did eventually make were utterly meaningless

See, im not sure i agree with that. McGhee finally found a team and a system, might as well keep them on the park as long as possible, build the confidence and let them play. What if he brings on a couple of ringers, it messes the system, we let in a couple and the confidence takes a big dent.

I think on this occassion he did the right thing. Once we have put a few wins together and the team are going well, then yes, bring the boys in at the appropriate times. Today, keep them on the field and build that confidence and understanding.

I think Ya Bezzer has got it spot on. The first goal was so important. I actually thought Ross Co were looking the better team at the start of the match. We got a cheap goal when the smallest man on the park headed in a free kick. We stepped up a notch after that and they went down a level and from then on we never looked like losing. Contrast to Wednesday while we were bad I didn't think Caley were any better than us until they took the lead but after they scored they just got better and we got even worse.

Posters on here go ape shit when we lose and on cloud nine when we win. Results in football matches are determined by very fine margins and that's why I don't get too down when we lose and too high when we win.

McDonald and Moult scored lots of goals together last season and renewing their partnership was long overdue. Lucas if he can stay fit could be a real find.

Cadden is getting better and better and I just love Big Ben at the back.

A satisfying day but what team will turn up at Dens next week and will the little things that make the difference be in our favour.

I only listened to the first half, and have only seen the highlights but from what I saw it looked like McDonald and Ainsworth were too good for them. If you look at our 3rd goal, McDonald takes a ball that is head height and manages to make a goal from it, and a great goal at that.

County looked shocking from that 8 minutes.

Superb!

Firstly, County were absolutely horrendous...the worst team I've seen this season

Secondly, I had a conversation with an SPL manager today who had a scout at the game. The scout said, our performance was the most accomplished he had seen from any team out with Celtic this season and raved about Lucas in particular.

The difference in our style of play from Wednesday to Saturday was frightening...just having Ainsworth on the park, gave us a far more effective out ball, although at times he looked uncomfortable on the left hand side. The best thing I can say about Lee Lucas, is that yesterday was the best I have seen Craig Clay play...I genuinely think we need to ditch Lasley from our starting XI permanently. Moult looked like a different player too, whether that be because Skippy was playing or because he was through the middle, or a combination of both.

That's the way I want to see my team play, and that's the formation I want to see us starting with

• Like 6

Firstly, County were absolutely horrendous...the worst team I've seen this season

Secondly, I had a conversation with an SPL manager today who had a scout at the game. The scout said, our performance was the most accomplished he had seen from any team out with Celtic this season and raved about Lucas in particular.

The difference in our style of play from Wednesday to Saturday was frightening...just having Ainsworth on the park, gave us a far more effective out ball, although at times he looked uncomfortable on the left hand side. The best thing I can say about Lee Lucas, is that yesterday was the best I have seen Craig Clay play...I genuinely think we need to ditch Lasley from our starting XI permanently. Moult looked like a different player too, whether that be because Skippy was playing or because he was through the middle, or a combination of both.

That's the way I want to see my team play, and that's the formation I want to see us starting with

This. 100%.

And for the record, I absolutely love Lasley.

• Like 1