Scottish Premiership Dundee V Motherwell Sat 5 Nov 15:00

Yabba's Turd

Terrible double change for McGhee when playing long ball he brings on Thomas and McLean which killed the midfield, Bowman should have came on to win headers and physical presence.

Clay and Las in middle just don't work well together, Clay performance last week compared to this week is unmeasurable.

The only players who got pass marks were Samson and Tait. Cadden looked good first half but was not in game when moved to central role.

This long ball we play is killing us, Heneghan who had his worst performance lumps it every chance he has.

Shocking performance

Very poor 2nd half performance. First goal is so important so when we score it it would be nice if the ref or linesman were paying attention. We actually played some decent stuff in the first half but Dundee scored against the run of play in about 44 minutes. Poor mistake from McDonald giving the ball away. 2nd half Dundee were transformed and we looked sorry for ourselves. Substitutions were poor, expecting two kids to turn the game was hopeful, afterwards we seemed to have no shape or game plan. Clay was anonymous yet again, only looks good when the team is firing on all cylinders. Forward players didn't click today - Cadden, McDonald, Moult, don't think Ainsworth should have been taken off though.

Better team for much of the first half, nothing special but if someone deserved a lead it was us. But as had been covered already the goal seemed to completely deflate us. That was a catalogue of errors though - McDonald gave the ball away, Hammell was in no mans land rather than trying to stop the cross and McManus and Heneghan missing in action. But from then on we were frankly pish. Central midfield is becoming more and more of an achilles heel with every week and until we sort it performances like that will never be far away.

I understand he was maybe forced into playing a half fit Lasley because of Lucas's injury but why in the name of God did we play a half fit Hammell too. McMillan is at least as good as him now and that was a total waste of a sub.

I don't doubt it was over from what everyone is saying, but you certainly can't tell from that.

yes you can..both of his feet are behind the line and he is leaning to his left ie further into the goal. No ifs buts or maybes all of the ball was over the line its a goal...a feckin ridiculous decision but as always the officials will not be held accountable.

Better team for much of the first half, nothing special but if someone deserved a lead it was us. But as had been covered already the goal seemed to completely deflate us....... Central midfield is becoming more and more of an achilles heel with every week and until we sort it performances like that will never be far away.

I understand he was maybe forced into playing a half fit Lasley because of Lucas's injury but why in the name of God did we play a half fit Hammell too. McMillan is at least as good as him now and that was a total waste of a sub.

Central midfield and indeed midfield has been our achilles heel for a year or two now. I was surprised when Lasley was offered a new one year deal but thats history now. Pearson leaving unexpectedly made matters worse and McHugh's injury put the tin lid on it. I still can't fathom out why Johnson was not replaced as it must have been obvious weeks before his departure that he'd be off before the deadline. It seems to me that Clay, Belic and Lucas have all been ad hoc, piecemeal signings. I think it was Al B who said weeks ago that the "plan" might be to "muddle through" in midfield until January and hope we keep in touch with the pack. Then we can rejig things. That does indeed seem to be our only plan.

Our ability to fight and compete in midfield was always going to be in doubt going into today's game even with a fit Lucas and predictably but disappointingly that proved to be the case. When Paul Hartley saw Cadden being moved infield he would know that it was a desperate last throw of the midfield dice for us and the match was well on the way to being won. Chris Cadden may turn out to be a great central midfielder in time but for now he's a wide right player end of. Other teams on a similar budget seem to be able to pick up solid workmanlike midfielders why can't we?

We've been very unlucky with McHugh (albeit the horrific injury was due to his own recklessness). However there was always going to be a huge question mark over Lucas given that he had 4 senior starts under his belt by the age of 24.

The idea of muddling through with a brutal midfield until the possible return of Pearson, combined with the failure to replace Marvin after actively trying to punt him for a year, has been such a turn-off for me this season.

• Like 1

Folk reckon the possible return of Pearson is going to save us? In the same way Moult coming back was going to turn it around? The plan seems to be to hover round about 10/11th spot and everyone to tel themselves we'll be fine cos there are teams worse than us.

Who are these teams?

• Like 1

Folk reckon the possible return of Pearson is going to save us? In the same way Moult coming back was going to turn it around? The plan seems to be to hover round about 10/11th spot and everyone to tel themselves we'll be fine cos there are teams worse than us.

Who are these teams?

As the league table shows there is very little between any of the teams operating in the same wage bracket. Right now we are as many points from the Top 6 as we are bottom place.

We were well on top yesterday when Beaton didn't give that goal, if it had been given I'm sure we would have gone on and probably won the match.

Games will be decided on very thin margins and yesterday one of those margins was outside our control.

As the league table shows there is very little between any of the teams operating in the same wage bracket. Right now we are as many points from the Top 6 as we are bottom place.

We were well on top yesterday when Beaton didn't give that goal, if it had been given I'm sure we would have gone on and probably won the match.

Games will be decided on very thin margins and yesterday one of those margins was outside our control.

Yes the league is very tight, it's out only saving grace, and as Dundee have shown, as long as you're not completely cut adrift, a couple of results can change everything.

I don't think we are losing by small margins. We were comprehensively outplayed and outfought in the second half yesterday, by a team that hadn't won at home or kept a clean sheet there all season, despite the score only being 1-0 for the majority of it. It was as comfortable a home win as you're every likely to see all season. Our shape, passing, movement and workrate in the second half was embarrassing.

Let's not forget our "goal" was a suspect cross. Not some blistering shot! Yes it was a shocking decision but it happened after 20 minutes and there are enough experienced players in our team who should know more than most that these things happen, not cling to the injustice and go in the huff. 3 "senior" players all at fault in the first goal yesterday.

The decision to play a half fit Hammell and Lasley was a disaster and deserves more critisism.

• Like 1

The 1 guarantee with John Beaton is we will get a dodgy decision against us just typical SPFL he gives Dundee a dodgy last minute penalty last year and what to they do sent him back to Dundee so he can give them another 1. I wish I could work out why this man is so anti Motherwell growing up in Fir Park Street did someone smash his window or something because by god he hates us .

The 1 guarantee with John Beaton is we will get a dodgy decision against us just typical SPFL he gives Dundee a dodgy last minute penalty last year and what to they do sent him back to Dundee so he can give them another 1. I wish I could work out why this man is so anti Motherwell growing up in Fir Park Street did someone smash his window or something because by god he hates us .

Beaton is not up to standard to referee in the SPFL. Has been pish since he arrived 2 seasons ago.

Bad day and don't understand McGhee starting Las and Hammy especially after last week. Now looking forward to getting humped by England. Depressed.

He's not anti mother well. Just a poor referee as most of the SPFL level refs are. Less of the Celtic like paranoia.

• Like 1

Yes the league is very tight, it's out only saving grace, and as Dundee have shown, as long as you're not completely cut adrift, a couple of results can change everything.

I don't think we are losing by small margins. We were comprehensively outplayed and outfought in the second half yesterday, by a team that hadn't won at home or kept a clean sheet there all season, despite the score only being 1-0 for the majority of it. It was as comfortable a home win as you're every likely to see all season. Our shape, passing, movement and workrate in the second half was embarrassing.

Let's not forget our "goal" was a suspect cross. Not some blistering shot! Yes it was a shocking decision but it happened after 20 minutes and there are enough experienced players in our team who should know more than most that these things happen, not cling to the injustice and go in the huff. 3 "senior" players all at fault in the first goal yesterday.

The decision to play a half fit Hammell and Lasley was a disaster and deserves more critisism.

Outplayed and outfought after the thin margins had gone against us. If you were at the game yesterday you should know we were actually doing pretty well, playing decent football and looked like we were good for a least a point if not three. The fact that our goal was a cross is completely irrelevant. It should have been 1-0 Motherwell and if that had been the case the way the teams were playing it looked more likely we would have gone on and scored again. Players didn't go in the huff, we had several good chances just after that incident.

What happened yesterday is the better team in the first half had a good goal disallowed and then conceded from an individual error right on half time. Those are game changers. Dundee should be 1-0 down they go in at half time 1-0 up. Their tails are up, ours are down.

As for playing Hammell and Lasley being a disaster, it obviously wasn't as we were well on top in the game. Hammell obviously wasn't considered to be half fit or he wouldn't have played and with Lasley there was no one else to play with Lucas and McHugh out injured. In fact we were much worse when McGhee put the young lads on and took Lasley off, the team completely lost its shape.

• Like 1

To be fair to Beaton on the goal is was his Linesman who was bang in line who didn't give the decision, he was is a far better position than Beaton who did look toward the Linesman who didn't flag

Whilst I agree that it should be the linesmans decision to make, it was fairly clear to anyone within 30/40 yards of the line that it had crossed. In fact he saw fit to over rule that same linesman in the 2nd half when he gave us a corner and Beaton changed it to a goal kick.

Poor referee, poor linesman and very poor Motherwell performance (particularly 2nd half). For McGhee to say "the 2nd half was irrelevant" maybe tells you all you need to know about why our 2nd half performance was so poor! McGhee again taking no responsibility for managing a team that frankly in the 2nd half looked like they couldn't care less. Dundee won, not because they were any better than us but because they wanted more. With Hearts away and Celtic at home to come we are in big trouble if we don't beat Thistle in a fortnight. Don't worry though, we'll be well prepared for that game, I mean it's not as if the managers got anything else to do with his time........................

The refereeing aside, we were utterly shite yesterday. Samson had 3 great saves to keep the scoreline down. I cannot understand why we opted for the big punt up the channel for 90 mins and it didn't work. Rumour has it Ainsworth was playing yesterday, but I honestly never saw him make a run or move once. Fuck to Get...

The only time we created a chance was when we put it on the deck and played Clay (who was was the only one trying) in to setup two chances. Dundee are piss poor and when Tom Hateley looks better than any of our midfield, questions must be asked.

Got to say after 3 seasons Dom Thomas still doesn't look a player. I would either get him on-loan in January or cut him, never shown the promise he showed early on.

Also McMillan should be starting every week at left back. Love Hammell, but it's time for the old guard to step back. Big hand to Motherwell for giving Hammell a 2 year deal. FFS

I'm absolutely scunnered that folk thought we played well in any spell of the match. No passing accuracy, no fight and overall absolutely no quality to our play. Struggling to get the motivation to go again if it's like that.

I wouldn't say we played well in the first half but we were the better team until about 5 minutes from half time.

Out of interest how did the young lads play?

McMillan was the best. He made one poor error but was smart enough to recover it himself.

Thomas delivered a couple of delicious corners but did nothing worthwhile in open play, frequently lost the ball.

McLean struggled to get involved,

And given he is still so young Cadden was as disappointing as he has been, especially when moved inwards in the second half.

• Like 1