January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Would be a strange one given his contract situation and the fact he seems a mainstay in their squad.

I think that there's a general feeling amongst Aberdeen fans that he's been on a steady decline since he came back from his injury so in a sense it's not *that* much of a surprise. He seems to have been getting absolutely bodied by opposition forwards on an increasingly regular basis. If you look at the goal Moult scored against him at Fir Park last year you can start to see why the supporters of a side aiming to be at the top end of the league might be grumbling. It's notable that he wasn't in the starting line up for Aberdeen in the abandoned game at Pittodrie but came into the side in the games that followed.

Also, a fair number of the Aberdeen squad are pushing 30 and in the case of Hayes and McGinn may be looking to move. It's not inconceivable that McInnes (if he actually sticks around at Aberdeen) might be thinking about freshening up his squad and a centre half they had tied up on a 4 year deal who's losing his pace might not be the worst place to start. It seems a stretch to imagine they'd just let him walk away with a year left on his deal though, unless of course they really didn't see him as part of their long term plans and were keen to free up his wage...and even then it's pushing it a bit.

McManus is 35 this year and as it stands is our only experienced centre half. The shambles up in Dingwall last season with Kennedy and Laing was a fairly stark reminder of that. Regardless of what you think of him in terms of ability for someone of his age McManus has barely missed a game. He's an ever present this season and if his Transfermarkt profile is in any way accurate it seems he's only missed 5 games since he's been at the club (that might be miles out so I'm happy to stand corrected). There's obviously an argument that McHugh has a good few seasons at centre half under his belt but even then at 23 he's the same age as Heneghan and seems to be earmarked as being a key part of our midfield so while I'm sure he could fill in as cover it'd mean dropping him out of his midfield role.

On the face of it, assuming we could cover his wages Reynolds ticks about every box going for us. The only obvious stumbling block is the fact he has a year and a half left at Pittodrie and I'm sure would be on a more than decent wage;

- former player

- experienced left sided centre half

- played under McGhee

- knows the current senior pros & staff

- knows the league

All in all, I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we were interested in the medium term but reading that all back, that's way too much thought on my part over a bit of speculation.

He's an ever present this season and if his Transfermarkt profile is in any way accurate it seems he's only missed 5 games since he's been at the club (that might be miles out so I'm happy to stand corrected).

I can independently confirm this. Two seem to have been 1 match suspensions for red cards and he was rested on the last league match of the season against Partick with the Rangers play off looming.

So he's missed a maximum of 2 matches injured in four seasons.

• Like 1

I can independently confirm this. Two seem to have been 1 match suspensions for red cards and he was rested on the last league match of the season against Partick with the Rangers play off looming.

He could've made as many league appearances for Motherwell as he did for Celtic come the end of the season, although overall he would need a bit longer to get more appearances due to Celtic generally going longer in cups and Europe.

I don't know if this is counting all competitions, but he was also rested for the East Fife cup tie. The only game which I think he has missed through injury was against Aberdeen on Boxing Day 2013.

While I have had a gripe or two with his performances in his time with us (particularly the playoff season) none of them have been down to fitness. He seems to be one of the oldies in the squad who actually are still able bodied to do their job.

Can we take this Mark Reynolds chat and put it straight into the bin please?

The guy has looked shaky at Aberdeen for a while now. The game at Fir Park near the end of last season was a complete shit show for him. I genuinely don't think he's improved as a player since he left. The things he does wrong consistently now, are the same things he done wrong then.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is counting all competitions, but he was also rested for the East Fife cup tie. The only game which I think he has missed through injury was against Aberdeen on Boxing Day 2013.

While I have had a gripe or two with his performances in his time with us (particularly the playoff season) none of them have been down to fitness. He seems to be one of the oldies in the squad who actually are still able bodied to do their job.

Yeah its all competitions and you are right about the East Fife match.

Can we take this Mark Reynolds chat and put it straight into the bin please?

The guy has looked shaky at Aberdeen for a while now. The game at Fir Park near the end of last season was a complete shit show for him. I genuinely don't think he's improved as a player since he left. The things he does wrong consistently now, are the same things he done wrong then.

I'd take Mark Reynolds back as a left back in a minute but not as a central defender. Years ago when the club was touting him about down south, as a central defender, most English Championship clubs knocked us back on the basis he was far too small for that position. That was mentioned at a shareholders meeting in 2010.

I don't think he's played at left back for years. I think at Aberdeen he's been exclusively a centre back, if they move a centre back out there it tends to be Considine. However, if we were to sign him, he would no doubt be the best option at left back in our squad. If there is any substance to the chat (which I don't think there is) I think it would be more likely to be in the summer, rather than in January. Unless the player himself is kicking his heels for a move, which doesn't seem his style, I don't think they'd be willing to shelf him half way through a season.

Has he ever played at left-back, consistently, at any point in his career? I'm sure he had a few games at Sheffield Wednesday and bombed spectacularly.

It seems for any left-sided defender there is a general acceptance that "aye, could probably do a job at left-back". For no other reason that he kicks predominately with his left foot.

Reynolds was a decent player for us, but I'd pass on the option of resigning him.

• Like 2

For the first team? Not that I can recall that (happy to be corrected, though). The first and only time I saw him play at left-back was a League Cup tie against Raith Rovers at Fir Park. Possibly in McGhee's first spell?

IIRC, his first start was away to Livingston at the end of a season (played left-wing, i'm sure) before coming into centre-half in a home game against Aberdeen (06/07 I believe) a game of two after the Bobby Donnelly fiasco.

• Like 1

For the first team? Not that I can recall that (happy to be corrected, though). The first and only time I saw him play at left-back was a League Cup tie against Raith Rovers at Fir Park. Possibly in McGhee's first spell?

IIRC, his first start was away to Livingston at the end of a season (played left-wing, i'm sure) before coming into centre-half in a home game against Aberdeen (06/07 I believe) a game of two after the Bobby Donnelly fiasco.

That reflects my recollection. He definitely made his debut at left mid and we played him left back against Raith Rovers. Gannon played him in a few position mind you including holding midfielder.

I always thought he had the attributes to end up a left back but it never materialised.

Did you have to mention Bobby Donnelly? A quick google search shows he's now found his level at Kirkintilloch Rob Roy after spells with Airdrie, Ayr and Albion Rovers.

Was there a specific fiasco I am forgetting or just him in general?

Just him in general. The fact we kept Rangers down to just two that day remains a mystery.

thisGRAEME puts it more eloquently that I can. Heavy shite.

He turned at a similar pace to full fat milk I remember......slowest centre half I think I've ever seen.

As for Reynolds, debut was at left midfield as previously mentioned. After that I'm sure he only played centre half until the penultimate game of the 2008/09 season against Accies, when he played left back when Hammell was suspended.

The 2009/10 season under Gannon, he was played as a holding midfielder at the very start of the season and was often preferred to Hammell at left back under Gannon, but after he left he reverted back to centre half under Craig Brown. I think the only time he's had a run of games at left back was Sheffield Wednesday and I suppose that didn't go too well for him.

I see Desp's argument about every left sided centre half gets touted as being able to do a job at left back, although I see Reynolds' attributes being a lot more suited to it than McManus. I'd still much rather we addressed the left back situation with a proper left back (of which an available one I couldn't name you), but if we did bring Reynolds in (hypothetically speaking as I reckon there's little to no chance of it) then given our best left back option is currently a rookie 18 year old right back, who I do rate I might add, then it's not that crazy to suggest he might be an option there for us.

I see Desp's argument about every left sided centre half gets touted as being able to do a job at left back, although I see Reynolds' attributes being a lot more suited to it than McManus. I'd still much rather we addressed the left back situation with a proper left back (of which an available one I couldn't name you), but if we did bring Reynolds in (hypothetically speaking as I reckon there's little to no chance of it) then given our best left back option is currently a rookie 18 year old right back, who I do rate I might add, then it's not that crazy to suggest he might be an option there for us.

Fully in agreement, here. You've got to look at the difference Tait has made to us from right-back, a position we haven't had an actual right-back in since Corrigan. Quinn, Hateley, Ramsden, Reid, Laing and Law all performed in bits and pieces, Kerr was just shite.

The difference in having Tait, who is a right-back, and nothing else, is night and day compared to the last couple of seasons. Sign a left-back for left-back, rather than pretending Reynolds can play there.

Scobbie.jpg

• Like 2