January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Why does everything come down to goals?

Marvin was hardly a goal machine. And had less assists than Lionel.

He offered so much more than basic statistics suggest - runs, passes in key areas, creating space, drawing players to him to create space for others.

If we are using the scouting system/software then it can drill right down to what the club are looking for as a suitable winger. It doesn't always mean goals & assists.

Also, in terms of lack of appearances, I assume the scouting software will also flag that up, meaning there is better chance of a player moving away from a club.

ie has the attributes we're looking for but isn't playing regularly. At that point it's the club's responsibility to physically scout and assess for injury.

• Like 1

1 goal and no assists - sounds promising

If we have made 3 bids as report says he dosnt look like been setting the heather on fire according to his career stats so strange 1 this .

Doesn't sound overly promising when he hasn't been playing regularly for them.

His 1st goal in over a year according to the commentary, not exactly a goal machine is he :O

That's the spirit, lads. Welcome the new signing with open arms and a clean slate...

• Like 5

Do you think if Pearo was coming back he'd be here by now?

Not necessarily. If he signs early in the window we have to shell out more in wages. Also, if he puts pen to paper early it gives rival managers more time to see our hand and prepare for it.

All that said its by no means guaranteed that he will sign. Mark McGhee said that he'd be talking to him last week - thats the last I heard.

For what it's worth my take on Frear is that for the past 6 months folk have been banging on about needing a naturally left sided midfielder who has a bit of pace and can create. From the looks of things we've identified a player who's naturally left sided who has a bit of pace and can create. What's more, if we were in for Coulthirst then the fact that we've moved on to Frear when that didn't pan out suggests that we've been doing our research and have options.

He's played 115 games for Forest Green, they're sitting 2nd in their league and reached the play off final last year (against Tait and Clay's Grimsby side). You can argue all you like about the standard of football at that level but Heneghan, Tait, Moult and Johnson have all been decent enough acqusitions while Clay has, for want of a better phrase, "done a job". Bowman maybe hasn't worked out as well as we'd have hoped but equally he's only had a handful of starts and has been competing for a spot against Moult and McDonald. By and large cherry picking players from that level seems to work to a point, it remains to be seen whether or not it will consistently translate to selling for profit but we also need players to play in the first team first and foremost before we're looking at selling them on.

If you take a look about Forest Green's forum or the bits and pieces you can find online then he seems to have been an important player for them. Whether he'd be any good for Motherwell, who knows? That's the gamble really. At 26 yeah, he's a couple of years older than some of the players we've signed from that level before but equally he's hardly in the twilight of his career.

On first glance from the clips I've seen he looks quite rapid but the one thing I would say is that he seems a bit slight that'd be my concern rather than worrying about him only having scored 1 goal this season, especially when he's chipped in with half a dozen or so every other season. On a purely numbers basis he has 3 times as many assists credited to him than Marvin Johnson had at the same level, granted that's over more games but still the difference is marked and it's not a huge number of games more. Marvin had 13 assists in 108 games, Frear has 43 in 150.

Anyway as GazzyB says, he's not even signed yet so this entire spiel may be completely redundant.

• Like 1

For the first time, I have a bit of insider knowledge. I have a mate who is very well connected with Exeter and Frear is a close family friend of his.

The story is true, Motherwell have had 3 offers refused by Forest Green where things have gone a little sour since Frear has declined the offer of a new contract.

Apparently, he was signed by Forrest Green for their big push to the football league and was given a wage that bettered many league 1 and 2 clubs. They want him to stay on, push for promotion and play in league 2. He has apparently ambitions of better.

Describing him as a tricky winger with a great first 5 yards, my mate says he's very keen to join us as he knows he will be in the shop window due to the quality of football being better and that Exeter were foolish to have let him go in the first place.

I guess it's all down to whether FG and MFC can agree a price now.

I'm always curious how much teams like Forest Green Rovers pay their players these days. They used to be my local club (when they changed their name to Stroud FC and then back to Forest Green Rovers). Back then, ticket prices were very cheap, but I see now they charge 16 quid to stand and 18 or 20 quid to sit - so you have to think the wages are decent.

There are some really rather 'wealthy' English non league teams who can and have offered better wages than transfer competing Scottish clubs. It makes relative sense that they may offer greater wages than many league 1&2 sides as they won't have the same overheads due to economy of scale.

It is my understanding that Frear is payed £50k basic plus bonuses at the minute, which I doubt we will better by much if at all.

To me it's not the money he's not noticed in the lower leagues if he goes to Motherwell and plays well he will be noticed .Sounds to me for once the boy is thinking of his career prospects rather than his weekly wage which is heartening in this day and age .If he has the confidence in himself and feels he can play at a higher level then Motherwell could give him the platform to achieve this .

Dougie Arnott came to use aged twenty five having never played professionally.

That didn't work out to bad for us, did it?

Martin Grehan came to us at twenty four having never played professionally.

He was shite.

Martin Grehan came to us at twenty four having never played professionally.

Not strictly true Graeme. Grehan had previously played professionally, although not at a senior level. He played in the Fife juniors for Dundonald Bluebell having started out with East Fife youths.