January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

From a good source, the Elliott Frear deal is looking pretty dead. FGR are refusing to let him go and willing to lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

By all accounts, the lad is not chuffed about this whatsoever. Why they'd want to keep a player who clearly wants to go I don't know.

By all accounts, the lad is not chuffed about this whatsoever. Why they'd want to keep a player who clearly wants to go I don't know.

This is situation is always a dilemma for the selling club. Should we have let Scott MacDonald go last week (if rumours are to be believed)? Presumably Frear did sign a legally binding contract. But yes, all this has to be balanced against keeping an unhappy player. If he takes the huff that might dissuade other clubs from pursuing their interest in him.

From a good source, the Elliott Frear deal is looking pretty dead. FGR are refusing to let him go and willing to lose him for nothing at the end of the season.

Maybe for the same reason as we have apparently blocked a move for Skippy. It has to been beneficial for both parties.

From the BBC Gossip

Motherwell have blocked a move by Western Sydney to take striker Scott McDonald back to his native Australia. (Daily Record)

The thing with Frear is there manager came out and said he won't pick him again and they have signed a replacement so would be crazy on their part to keep paying him wages till end of season to sit in stand and then leave on a free when can get small fee and free up a wage. Thing is he's their player so they can do what they want but seems a bit strange to make that statement then not let him leave .

They want to keep him because they are currently 2nd in the division and are pushing for promotion into the big leagues. That will be worth much more than any transfer fee they pick up for him in the window. If they end up in the play-offs, even that will make them more money. I understand his frustration, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a club wanting to have a player play for them for the duration of his contract.

They want to keep him because they are currently 2nd in the division and are pushing for promotion into the big leagues. That will be worth much more than any transfer fee they pick up for him in the window. If they end up in the play-offs, even that will make them more money. I understand his frustration, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a club wanting to have a player play for them for the duration of his contract.

Agreed and if Skippy story is true, then the same applies. The difference here is as Wellowell says, the relationship between player and gaffer is not a good one.

The difference here is as Wellowell says, the relationship between player and gaffer is not a good one.

That's often the case during the window when a player wants a move. The good players just knuckle down for a few months afterwards and get themselves an even better deal. The ones that throw their toys out the pram are taking a bigger risk.

That's often the case during the window when a player wants a move. The good players just knuckle down for a few months afterwards and get themselves an even better deal. The ones that throw their toys out the pram are taking a bigger risk.

I think the difference in the Frear case is that with him having said he's interested in a move Cooper has, I believe, pretty much said that he won't play him. Along the lines of "I only want players in my side who want to be at the club" so while you might get a certain player chucking his toys out the pram or stamping his feet that player might still feature on a Saturday and get the opportunity to show what he can do etc.

If my reading of the Frear story is correct the boy has basically indicated that he's not looking to sign a new deal and would prefer a move so his manager is now refusing to consider him for the first team as a result while the club are apparently knocking back offers for his services. I'm not surprised he's irked tbf.

Just another example of chasing the buck being detrimental to your actual development.

I am one of the few who think he had genuine talent and the chance of making it. All the attributes physically and not short on skill. Think he's just genuinely short on brains.

If he stayed and had a full season of football under his belt he could have become a player in my opinion.

Now I don't give a fuck as we've got Louis Moult...!

• Like 3