January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

I know it's a different market, but Jermaine Defoe at 34 and Robert Snodgrass at 29 are both looking at £10million plus transfers.

The return on investment would be this guy keeping us in the top flight, or helping us get 6th place even if in 2-3 years time we don't get a fee when he moves on.

EPL clubs have more than they know what do with so 10 million for a guy who will make an impact short to medium term makes sense.

This guy has done well for Stevenage but also been released by two League Two clubs. Paying for a third choice centre back who might be rubbish seems unnecessary.

Erwin wasn't that good. Next rumour, please.

I think this is a bit harsh on Erwin. I don't think he had time to prove himself with us and only showed in flashes what he was capable off. Also people with better judgement than most of us on here thought he had some potential and skill. He is certainly still to show that potential but to say he is not good is a bit wide of the mark.

Lee Erwin was a very talented player, at our level, he'll never be prolific though and while I have no evidence whatsoever it seems that he was just out of his depth at Leeds. If we lose Moult and McDonald in the Summer I'd happily see him back at Fir Park.

For those that say he should have knocked Leeds back though? Who the fuck are you trying to kid?

If Joe is right and he is earning £7k-a-week on a 3year deal, then thats a basic contract of almost £1,100,000...come on now, there is no one on here that wouldn't accept that type of contract, or advise their sons to snap it up, regardless of whether or not they thought they'd be out their depth...or what their previous injury or goalscoring history is. For talking sake, how many seasons would he have to play with us to reach £1,000,000 in earnings?

Erwin will finish his 3 year deal with Leeds as a very wealthy young man, if his stock is lower than it was previous to signing for Leeds then the worst that will happen is that he'll end up either in the SPFL or a lower league English Club on a smaller salary but with oodles of cash in the bank (as long as he isn't a complete bam).

The whole "stay a year and develop" line grinds my gears, I'll bet my house that Erwin developed just as much as he did here if not better at Leeds even without playing. Add an extra £6500 a week to his pay packet and it's a no brainer for him to have moved on.

Scottish football is horrendous, he'd learn far more playing in the reserves at Leeds and on loan at League One than playing Kilmarnock and Hamilton Accies 4 times a year.

• Like 1

EPL clubs have more than they know what do with so 10 million for a guy who will make an impact short to medium term makes sense.

This guy has done well for Stevenage but also been released by two League Two clubs. Paying for a third choice centre back who might be rubbish seems unnecessary.

Don't disagree, but McManus is 34 and got a lot of miles on the clock, so a 26 year old with some experience seems like a good succession plan. I think you need some experience in your centre half pairing, so maybe this guy is seen as a longer term move to play beside Heneghan or whoever?

The injury to Callum Paterson is a recent reminder as to why any young footballer with decent talent will move to an English club as soon as the right opportunity presents itself.

Celtic apart, the gulf in quality and athleticism between England and Scotland is so huge that it's getting more and more difficult to make the necessary development up here. Anyone with an outside chance of becoming an international footballer has to go for it.

I think this is a bit harsh on Erwin. I don't think he had time to prove himself with us and only showed in flashes what he was capable off. Also people with better judgement than most of us on here thought he had some potential and skill. He is certainly still to show that potential but to say he is not good is a bit wide of the mark.

I didn't say he was terrible. He just wasn't that good. He scored on the opening day, then was totally ineffective until probably late-February into March when McDonald turned up and basically talked him into being a striker.

There's potential there somewhere, I'd just worry that he's too much of a fanny to do anything with it while Leeds pay him some astronomical fee.

£450k for a guy who had about a quarter of a good season? Great business.

I certainly don't blame Lee Erwin for taking the option of moving to Leeds both from either a financial or career perspective. Clearly he was going to improve his bank balance considerably and as a footballer I would like to think he would have had the belief and self-confidence that he would go down there and make it at Leeds.

But the Jamie Murphy route lingers in my mind here where he adopted to take a more graduated route that will hopefully conclude with him playing in the English top flight next season. Would Lee have been better served following a similar path?

If he does join Thistle time will tell whether he has improved as a player from the one who was performing pretty well when he left us but as it stands I remain to be convinced that uninspiring loan spells at Bury and Oldham will have served him better than another year/eighteen months at Fir Park would have.

Interesting that McGhee says maybe four new signings when we were only looking at three. Taking into account his fondness for saying stuff that doesn't pan out, could the fourth be a replacement for McDonald....?

Well he also said McDonald was staying put - but you never know. When it comes to transfers, he doesn't give much away.