January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Highlights from a fairly recent game, Frear on second half wearing no.11 and gets two assists. Noticeable that Forest Green always seemed to play down the left when he was on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd4n4dWAKlA

My pal who's seen a chunk of him claims he likes to cut in a lot, which with Moult/McDonald/Bowman having a willingness to run channels, could be productive for us.

From the Motherwell FC Facebook page.

Motherwell FC can today confirm the signing of Russell Griffiths on loan from Everton for the remainder of the season.

The club would also like to announce the departure of Dean Brill, who has departed the Steelmen in search of first team opportunities.

20-year-old stopper Griffiths, who has spent the first half of the season on loan at Cheltenham this term, arrives in Lanarkshire hungry to impress.

And he had a chat with MFC TV this morning after penning his deal.
He said: “I’m really delighted to be here and I’m looking forward to the challenge ahead.

“I’ve heard a lot about the club, I know a few of the players and when I spoke to the goalkeeper coach he told me about how good a club it was to come to.”

Having joined Everton at the age of 14, Russell is aiming to gain valuable experience and is keen to learn from Craig Samson.
He said: “I know there’s a good number one here at the moment to learn from in Craig Samson and hopefully everything will go well while I’m here.

“My career has really just started this season and I’ve spent the last six months on loan at Cheltenham in League Two where I made 29 appearances. I then was back at Everton before signing here today.”

Looking forward, the keeper said: “I want to impress the manager, try and break in to the team to hopefully make my Scottish Premiership debut.

“He’s a really respected manager and he has a great CV too – I’ve heard a lot back home about coming up here and it can only be good for me.”

He added: “Walking out here in to the stadium got me quite excited and I’m sure Saturday will be a good day and hopefully we can get the three points.”

https://youtu.be/V3gA4WEPo5s

Griffiths was the player I looked at when the Everton hint was dropped yesterday.

Played 28 times for Cheltenham this season before being recalled by Everton as cover. Can't imagine he's came here as backup.

I'd like to think so but I can't help feeling that backup will be his role while he's here.

McGhee has already shown himself to be completely against dropping Samson this season, not to mention that, last time round, he seemed to favour having young, backup goalkeepers on loan from English clubs sitting on the bench (Daniels, Nielsen, Krysiak).

I still have zero faith in Samson though, so hopefully Griffiths can indeed challenge him for a starting berth.

• Like 1

I'd like to think so but I can't help feeling that backup will be his role while he's here.

McGhee has already shown himself to be completely against dropping Samson this season, not to mention that, last time round, he seemed to favour having young, backup goalkeepers on loan from English clubs sitting on the bench (Daniels, Nielsen, Krysiak).

I still have zero faith in Samson though, so hopefully Griffiths can indeed challenge him for a starting berth.

Completely agree McGhee has done this before with the 'keepers mentioned.

However, what's in this deal for Everton? Why would they recall him from Cheltenham, where he was playing regularly at a level not too far off where we are, to send him on loan at Motherwell to sit on the bench? That doesn't make much sense.

There must be some kind of agreement in place he'll get games up here. Surely?

Completely agree McGhee has done this before with the 'keepers mentioned.

However, what's in this deal for Everton? Why would they recall him from Cheltenham, where he was playing regularly at a level not too far off where we are, to send him on loan at Motherwell to sit on the bench? That doesn't make much sense.

There must be some kind of agreement in place he'll get games up here. Surely?

Fingers crossed!

Looking at the Cheltenham Forums some of their fans appear to think he was sent back to Everton, rather than recalled.

A lot of posts seem to be having a go at the lad, one comment stated started of good but then appeared to have a crisis of confidence. There are also comments about him coming for the ball but flapping at it when he got there.

The kindest post I have found so far:

Thank you Russell Griffiths
Im sure you will go onto bigger and better things than CTFC

I suspect your confidence has taken a bit of a bashing but you are young and learning the game

Jack Butland would have struggled behind our defence but thank you

I hope we get someone who commands their area

Hope that this move restores his confidence

I'd have thought it unlikely he'll go straight in to the team but having watched Brill with the u20s I can completely understand McGhee not playing him ahead of Samson, he genuinely didn't look any better. I think, unfortunately, that the injury he had has taken its toll. He looked slow and lumbering with next to no agility which isn't surprising given he's only had 20 mins of competitive football in 2 years.

If Griffiths comes in and shows that he's better than Samson then I'd be surprised if he didn't get a shot.