January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Why would they recall him from Cheltenham, where he was playing regularly at a level not too far off where we are, to send him on loan at Motherwell to sit on the bench? That doesn't make much sense.

There must be some kind of agreement in place he'll get games up here. Surely?

They recalled him because Stekelenberg was injured.

On Samson, I kind of felt amidst the celebrations at accies he had turned a corner a bit. Had a good game there, and didn't do a lot wrong in last few appearances.

Still loves palming a shot into the middle of his box though...

• Like 1

Very worrying comments about this new goalie, don't want to be all doom and gloom but that's all I have to go on. Let's give him a chance and see how he does. My suspision is that he has been brought in solely for cover rather than actually seriously competing with Samson for the number 1 jersey. Time will tell but in IMO we need someone to compete with Samson, generally his shot stopping is fine but his distrubution and control of area is terrible.

In regards to Frear, his amount of assists is encouraging regardless if it is in a low standard of league. Fingers crossed he can turn out to be another Marvin Johnson rather than a Jacob Blyth. As a few have mentioned I would like to bring in a centre back to challenge the McManus/Heneghen. As well as this I want another centre midfielder in the mould of Pearson who can do a bit of running in the middle. We all love Lasely but he is over run in games time after time.

Another rumour is we're signing a central defender on loan from Reading Zak Jules not sure if that means Heneghan leaving as coming up here to experience playing in SPFL according to site it was mentioned on so not expecting to sit on bench .

Whether it's Zak or not, McGhee confirmed yesterday that he wants a centre half, which seems reasonable to me. It was mentioned before Christmas that McManus sometimes plays on the Saturday without training through the week and I imagine that has happened throughout his Motherwell career. Heneghan meanwhile has been a consistent performer since arriving but there have been occasions where he would have benefited being withdrawn from the firing line. We therefore need competition for places and in McGhee's eyes, Laing, Kennedy and Ferguson are not up to the job at present.

• Like 2

MOTHERWELL have landed Scotland Under-21 centre-half Zak Jules on loan for the rest of the season.

Reading boss Jaap Stam has approved the youngster heading to Fir Park on a short-term deal to gain first-team experience.

Jules could come into contention for a debut in tomorrow's televised Premiership clash at home to Rangers.

He is the third player to arrive at Well in the last 24 hours after the signing of Elliot Frear and Russell Griffiths.

But manager Mark McGhee is keen to land one more target before the transfer window closes on Tuesday night.

Whether it's Zak or not, McGhee confirmed yesterday that he wants a centre half, which seems reasonable to me. It was mentioned before Christmas that McManus sometimes plays on the Saturday without training through the week and I imagine that has happened throughout his Motherwell career. Heneghan meanwhile has been a consistent performer since arriving but there have been occasions where he would have benefited being withdrawn from the firing line. We therefore need competition for places and in McGhee's eyes, Laing, Kennedy and Ferguson are not up to the job at present.

I'm loathe to trust Transfermarkt 100% but from his profile on there it looks like his deal is up in the summer. Is there a chance we might be looking at him in a slightly longer term sense since you'd think Laing and Kennedy will be patched if not in this window then definitely summer and what with the *business model* and all that we could be looking to sell Heneghan on in the next window?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zak-jules/profil/spieler/309041

I'm loathe to trust Transfermarkt 100% but from his profile on there it looks like his deal is up in the summer. Is there a chance we might be looking at him in a slightly longer term sense since you'd think Laing and Kennedy will be patched if not in this window then definitely summer and what with the *business model* and all that we could be looking to sell Heneghan on in the next window?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zak-jules/profil/spieler/309041

Possibly. However iirc McGhee suggested yesterday that he was only getting one of his no.1 targets, which I presume to be Frear. I'm therefore not anticipating much long-term thinking with the remaining signings.