January Transfer Window

Kmcalpin

Pearson is a welcome addition however we've now got a midfield selection of Pearson, Lasley, Cadden, Clay, Las, Mchugh, Lucas, Ainsworth, Maclean, Frear and Campbell. Add Mcmillan and Chalmers and that's 13 midfielders.

13 midfielders yet I can't help but think we're fucked if we lose Moult or McDonald for any length of time.

I can only think McGhee has some faith in Blyth (or Bowman), or thinks that Pearson's addition will give us some flexibility to operate without Moult or McDonald.

Pearson is a welcome addition however we've now got a midfield selection of Pearson, Lasley, Cadden, Clay, Las, Mchugh, Lucas, Ainsworth, Maclean, Frear and Campbell. Add Mcmillan and Chalmers and that's 13 midfielders.

13 midfielders yet I can't help but think we're fucked if we lose Moult or McDonald for any length of time.

I can only think McGhee has some faith in Blyth (or Bowman), or thinks that Pearson's addition will give us some flexibility to operate without Moult or McDonald.

You've included Lasley twice there. Take your point but it's probably fair to say there's an acknowledgement that we're viewing McMillan and Chalmers as full backs, MacLean's injured for the forseeable and Lasley will probably be being used more sparingly.

So for 4 midfield spots we've got 10 players, 2 for each position and a couple as cover. Sounds about right tbh.

He was paired with Josh Law in that game.....

Exactly, so he should have been the one taking responsibility, making tackles, showing for the ball, did he, nah. Anyway that was one game, there are other examples of Pearo going missing in games. Worth having in the squad (maybe even the starting 11 at times), particularly as he gives balance being left footed, however he is far from the saviour some seem to think......

You've included Lasley twice there. Take your point but it's probably fair to say there's an acknowledgement that we're viewing McMillan and Chalmers as full backs, MacLean's injured for the forseeable and Lasley will probably be being used more sparingly.

So for 4 midfield spots we've got 10 players, 2 for each position and a couple as cover. Sounds about right tbh.

Fair point - I think my concern is that while we've now got an competitive selection for midfield while the frontline is paper thin. Lose one of our front two and we could really struggle. Bowman has unfortunately not impressed at all and Blyth - well, we'll see.

Fair point - I think my concern is that while we've now got an competitive selection for midfield while the frontline is paper thin. Lose one of our front two and we could really struggle. Bowman has unfortunately not impressed at all and Blyth - well, we'll see.

I'd be inclined to agree though the form of Moult & McDonald means that neither are going to be dropped to give Bowman or Blyth a game and it's difficult to honestly judge based on the limited opportunities Bowman and Blyth have had.

What is probably most telling I guess is that we were apparently willing to go ahead with the Ciftci deal even after the McDonald thing broke down. You can even look back to McGhee's comment after the County 4-1 game that it was up to Bowman and Blyth to improve their levels to match Moult and McDonald if they wanted to get into the side. In fact McGhee commented in the Motherwell Times earlier in the week that he hoped the Ciftci approach focussed Bowman so there's still the suggestion that both need to improve.

I watched Blyth is the u20s game he played against Thistle at Firhill and he did quite well. Held the ball up, missed a sitter of a header early on but there was absolutely nothing that suggested he'd get into the side ahead of Moult or McDonald. Equally, other than the game against Accies where he was quite involved (header for Moult's opener, won the pen) Bowman's not really shown much either.

Ultimately I suppose it's not a huge leap to say that Ciftci is a better player than Bowman and Blyth, so assuming the budget was there then bringing him in may have strengthened us (if he ever actually got fit given he's played a total of 31 minutes this season for the first team and that was back last July in two sub appearances in the Lincoln Red Imps games).

Who knows though, if there's still some budget to play with and we genuinely feel we're short up front beyond Moult and McDonald could there be an option to bring in someone who's out of contract and could make a difference? I was genuinely quite surprised to see that he was someone we were looking at albeit on loan given that our usual market has been the lower leagues in England however if it was as potential replacement for McDonald then I suppose it made a bit more sense. Again, given he's barely kicked a ball for Celtic I suppose the thought would be that Celtic are just desperate to move him on one way or another so the fact that they reportedly paid £1.5m for him becomes less reflective of his present value and equally the fact that he's perceived as being a relatively big name (given the fee and the club he's at) possibly gives a false reflection of the sort of budget we'd have available or be willing to pay and the options that may be available.

Not quite sharing the love in for Pearo to be honest. Past his best and disappears in games frequently. Anyone who was at Swinecastle last season can pay testiment to that. Have always (and still do) think Pearo plays when he feels like it.

Don't forget that for spells last season he was played out of position ie a defensive holding midfielder which just isn't his game. No wonder he "disappeared" as you put it. Given the character of our other midfielders there's no need top play him in that role this time round. Let him play in a way that suits him.

Don't forget that for spells last season he was played out of position ie a defensive holding midfielder which just isn't his game. No wonder he "disappeared" as you put it. Given the character of our other midfielders there's no need top play him in that role this time round. Let him play in a way that suits him.

I don't think you can count that game for anything when you consider we played Hammell at right back and Josh fucking Law in midfield.

Seems like Kennedy's on his way judging by his twitter.

Interesting to see Wes Fraudsters reply too

I doubt he's been released by that tweet

His contract is up in June. So, whether it's now or in a few months time I'd imagine he is offski.

When i was double checking that, I also noticed David Ferguson is out of contract this year. 21 in March - would you offer him a deal or is it now time to be letting the current crop of U20s at centre back breakthrough?

When i was double checking that, I also noticed David Ferguson is out of contract this year. 21 in March - would you offer him a deal or is it now time to be letting the current crop of U20s at centre back breakthrough?

Undoubtedly time to let him go, he's been around the periphery of the 1st team for about 3 years now and it looks like he'll just not have enough to make it into a regular first team player

What is Fletchers problem? He was a diddy and the fact he's managed 1 goal in the Welsh Premier League backs this up. Reading his twitter he seems to think he's billy big time.

Sour faced walloper!

Was there not a bit of an issue between him and some of the established players?

Kennedy is the only one of his gang left. (I can't even remember the name of that other muppet!)