Mcghee Out?

postiejim

The win against Ross County was massive as it gave us a cushion over the play off spot going into games against Hearts, Aberdeen and Celtic. Yes, that was a really sore one on Wednesday but we'll still be above 11th after the weekend. We absolutely have to get a win from either Dundee or Killie after that though before playing Aberdeen, St. Johnstone and Rangers. It's really all about staying clear of 11th at the moment and then hopefully going on a run in the last eight games against the teams around us.

To be fair, that was some time ago, under Ally McLeod, a few weeks after he basically ditched an entire first team to play reserve players.

My memory is hazy, however, that does ring a bell. McGhee’s team is different to McLeod’s as our recent heavy defeats have been with a squad that has contained some experienced players. Since the 1960s I have backed every manager we have had and McGhee’s recent tenure has been no different. However, there always comes a point when as a fan you say enough, is enough. McGhee’s recent record and behaviour has now driven me to that point.

But the cold reality is that you ultimately have to assess football managers based on things like results, leadership qualities and working with the club on a clear plan for the future, not on how well they might handle one of the most awful and unlikely things that could ever happen.

Results: Top six last season when we were heading for relegation when he took over. Remit this season is to keep us in the league. So far we are in a pack of sides and are as likely to stay up as we are to get relegated. It all depends on the rest of the games this season.

Plan for the future is to blood youngsters so far he has introduced Hall, Cadden, McMillan, Ferguson, MacLean, Hastie and Campbell to the first team. He spent the summer bigging up Johnston and we got a good fee for him.

Leadership - Clearly only those at the club are fully aware of his leadership qualities but a top class playing career and over 900 games as a manager must give him some credence and respect with the players.

As I said we need to be careful what we wish for. Removing him would be a huge gamble.

Recent results, Andy? The last 12 months have seen us take two 7 goal and ond six goal humiliations. We're now at a point where a mere 5-0 is regarded as acceptable.

WTF.

Come on. We are talking about taking LIFETIME BAD RESULTS in the same year.

I agree that the frequency of such hammerings is currently happening much more regularly than it should and it is an obvious concern why games can slip away from us to such an extent, but by the same token I think these kind of results are far from uncommon. We probably average at least one five goal humping a season.

I can remember a couple of 6-1's at the hands of Hibs, there was a 6-1 at Tannadice against Dundee Utd and that was in a season we came in second. We also lost 5-1 there only a couple of years before re-grouping and again finishing second. There was a painful 5-1 at home to Livingston and how can we forget New Douglas Park! And that's before you take into account some of the drubbings endured at the hands of the Old Firm.

The flip side to that is that equally I can remember both good and bad Motherwell sides doing the same to others like beating Hearts 6-1, Livingston 6-2 and 5-0, Raith 5-0 and 5-1, St Johnstone 5-1 etc. Even Maurice Malpas managed to steer a side to a 5-0 win over Kilmarnock.

So these kind of results can and do happen to teams in our league. But of course the frequency of them currently has to be addressed.

Whilst I'm replying I know you've made the point about Lasley and Hammell a couple of times but I'm also sticking to my guns in terms of their re-signing. I'll be in an ever reducing number who believe it was the right thing to do but at the time I believed it was.

Old ground but getting the two on reduced terms for the overall player/coaching package was for me a fairly sound move Yeah the extra year Hammell got was perhaps excessive but the principle of them being around another year and being gradually phased out whilst younger members of the squad gained an extra years development alongside them was not unreasonable to me.

Now clearly for various reasons that hasn't happened anything like as well as hoped but it still doesn't mean the original intention was wrong.

Hammell has unfortunately never managed to maintain a sufficient level of fitness and of course I would have to concede his form has rarely reached previous levels of consistency that served us so well for so long either. I'm dubious that Chalmers is his long term successor but any succession plan there might have been never had a chance with him being injured even more than Hammell. McMillan at least will have benefited from his presence around the club.

As for Lasley, I do think he's been used more than had been originally intended and odd as it might sound I think we might have benefited from a "less is more" approach. Any such plans became largely redundant with injuries to McHugh and to a lesser extent Lucas although again I will concede I am a little disappointed Allan Campbell wasn't able to benefit a wee bit more from the availability in centre midfield.

Settle down why, ya madman? Cos I'm pointing out I've been right all year?

What a fucking embarrassment Lasley was the other night, and that wasn't the first time this season.

Because of your hard man talk you nutter. Which I'm sure you see the irony in when calling out someone else on it.....ah irony, facts, rational conversation....
  • Like 1

What will be the structure of the club when he returns? Does this suggest the possibility of Mark McGhee becoming a Director of Football or will it push James McFadden onto the sidelines?

It would seem a luxury to have a manager, assistant manager and a first team coach.

The way we are playing just now we need all the help we can get so i think its a shrewd move to get Robinson back in. From what i have heard he is an experienced coach who seems to have been well liked by the players so it could work out well. I am sure Faddy could also learn from him .

Totally fine with Robinson coming back in tbh. I'm not sure it necessarily is a luxury as such, especially as there's another international break coming up which McGhee will presumably be away for (which is a different story). If we had budget available to bring Ciftci in on loan then I'd have thought that money would still be available to allow Robinson to come in and contribute as a coach.

Given he'd recently signed an extension at the club Robinson taking the Oldham job seemed a bit out the blue and I have wondered how much of an effect him leaving has had. Especially since it seems clear from his comments at the time that McFadden hadn't even been considering a formal coaching role when he was offered the assistant job.

Any time McFadden's been asked the question he's responded saying that he still wants to play. Whether that's realistic or not IDK but it does suggest that there's an element of convenience for both parties around his assistant role. Which isn't to say he's not 100% committed or focused or that he's not got something to offer but I can't help feeling that bringing someone like Robinson back into the fold on the coaching might help balance things out.

Faddy has said himself that our main problem this season is that we keep making mistakes, yet we're into February and as a unit we looks no more solid or organised and we're still seeing players consistently making mistakes. It's not a huge leap to trace that back to the training ground.

We're still short of a goalkeeping coach as well right?

Settle down why, ya madman? Cos I'm pointing out I've been right all year?

What a fucking embarrassment Lasley was the other night, and that wasn't the first time this season.

It's February, hardly a bold claim. I'd seriously doubt you've been right about anything football wise in your life.

The constant need to tell folk you've worked abroad is fucking cringeworthy by the way. I reckon myself and few others on here could let you borrow a few air miles for your next International troubleshooting assignment though. If you play nice, you might get the unrestricted lounge access and business class seats.

• Like 1

If Robinson is back, we may as well punt McFadden. He's offered us nothing.

No longer good enough to be a player. Not good enough as a coach.

His contract in the assistant role is up at the end of the season so I'd imagine he'll stick around until then.

After that? Who knows? I suppose it depends on whether or not he actually *wants* to continue. The gist of what he was saying when he was appointed was that a formal coaching position hadn't been something he had been considering so with hindsight it's difficult not to feel that it's something that between him and the club they've decided to give a shot and see how it goes. As Haggischomper says he was essentially thrown into the role as Robinson's replacement but it's hard not to look at it and feel it was a convenient arrangement.

Whether Robinson coming back (if indeed he does) and the general performances this season as compared to last can be construed a tacit acknowledgment that it's not really worked out I guess is up for debate. As it goes, right now I'd say Robinson coming back may well take some of the responsibility off McFadden and some of the pressure off McGhee whose heads gone moments have been become increasingly frequent post-winter break.

• Like 1