Lionel Ainsworth

Assists are one of those American imports they use to make their native sports more interesting and their fantasy sports leagues more profitable.

Like all statistics, it has some use in some circumstances, but doesn't come close to giving a complete picture.

You should look up 'USA Soccer Guy' on Fudbook......would probably be right up your street, humour wise

• Like 1

Here's my take on the Lionel situation, for all its worth

Ainsworth is undoubtably a great asset going forward. His delivery is arguably the best in the team and from set pieces he's brilliant. He also is very quick, and in a team that clearly lacks pace and creativity, surely it's not a bad thing we're trying to re-sign him when that's exactly what he brings to the team?

He's been rightfully criticised for his defensive capabilities or at least lack of wanting to track back, and this has been cited as one of the reasons why he never got many starts this season. However, are we really going to say we could've done any worse defensively this season if we had given Ainsworth chances in the team? Really? Our best defensive player this season was Carl McHugh, and despite his past clubs using him as a centre half, he came to us as a centre mid, and that's where he should be playing. Heneghan, really does need some work if he's going to be a decent centre back. Tait was great going forward and defensively was ok at best I think. McManus and Hammell have really looked their age at times and despite hammy having a great last few games, he's not be very good consistently throughout the season. We conceded so many because our defending as a whole has been terrible, you can't just blame Ainsworth every time he plays. The midfield would constantly sit off the opposition and we'd get killed because they were allowed so much time to come at us with no midfield pressure, and all the centre midfielders we have used this season were to blame for this at times.

Also, in Ainsworth's defence, his defending against Kilmarnock I thought was really great, he made tackles in the midfield when players like Clay were willing to just sit off them and let them come at us. And again, Ainsworth was the one who made the tackle and played moult in, who then set up Frear to kill the game and ensure our safety in the league, so there's important defensive work in there too.

What I don't understand is why we don't deploy Ainsworth as a forward, especially now that McDonald is away. He's so talented in attack and his pace is always a threat, surely he'd be valuable there? I'd suggest we literally have him no further back than the half way line and he's then always a threat on the counter. Think he'd also be a great partner to Moult (if he stays) as they're both very creative and great attackers so they may be able to form a good attacking partnership if they're actually given the chance. Even still, if Moult does leave, then allow Ainsworth the opportunity to partner with whatever striker(s) we bring in this summer and give the guy a run of games to show us if he can do it. He's not been used enough this season and if he is given a new deal and isn't performing anywhere near the standard we need, then sure, he can be sold or released at the end of his next contract. However, I'm sure if he's given consistency in his selection, then he'll give us consistency in performance and end product, which we have really lacked this season.

• Like 1

I think he should be utilised more as an impact player- the fact the McGhee froze him out when he was surely out best option off the bench was ridiculous. He is a player that all teams will single out as a game changer- this is something that needs to be exploited if he signs back on.

Did McGhee "freeze him out"?

He certainly didn't start as much.

Here are his appearance numbers:

League (Starts + subs) Total appearances (inc cups):

2013-14 - (22+7) - Total apps = 31 (McCall)

2014-15 - (21+15) - Total apps = 39 (McCall/Baraclough)

2015-16 - (17 + 12) - Total apps = 33 (Baraclough/McGhee)

2016-17 - (10 + 20) - Total apps - 35 (McGhee/Robinson)

Obviously the incident at Firhill means that the McGhee "freezing him out" narrative plays quite well but generally speaking players who are being "frozen out" aren't involved in 30+ games a season.

FWIW: I don't think McGhee handled him particularly well but it's easy for people to overlook that McCall benched him for a run of games while Baraclough opted to stick Conor Grant at right midfield ahead of him as well. He's been in an out the team at points with every manager during his time at the club.

• Like 1

Here are his appearance numbers:

League (Starts + subs) Total appearances (inc cups):

2013-14 - (22+7) - Total apps = 31 (McCall)

2014-15 - (21+15) - Total apps = 39 (McCall/Baraclough)

2015-16 - (17 + 12) - Total apps = 33 (Baraclough/McGhee)

2016-17 - (10 + 20) - Total apps - 35 (McGhee/Robinson)

Obviously the incident at Firhill means that the McGhee "freezing him out" narrative plays quite well but generally speaking players who are being "frozen out" aren't involved in 30+ games a season.

FWIW: I don't think McGhee handled him particularly well but it's easy for people to overlook that McCall benched him for a run of games while Baraclough opted to stick Conor Grant at right midfield ahead of him as well. He's been in an out the team at points with every manager during his time at the club.

What sticks out for me is going up to Inverness in the game Vigurs scored a late winner (one of very few times I viewed Vigurs in a positive light), a fully fit Ainsworth was on the bench as we played Fraser Kerr on the right wing. That was in his most consistent season as well.

Tells you something that.

I just wish he was as half as good as folk think he is.

I think most have a fairly rounded view of him. He can be an absolutely incredible asset when he's in his groove. Bit of pace and trickery, ability to get the ball in the box at pace from the tightest spaces anywhere near the by-line, great finisher. That's what gets folk off their seat when he gets the ball. When he's on form he should be playing well above our level.

He finds his place at Motherwell by being so inconsistent. There were plenty of times last season where it was clear McGhee was giving him his big chance to prove himself and he was absolute horse shit. He's clearly a player whose performance comes from where his head is at any given time.

If he could get even one season of relative consistency he could probably find himself at a bigger club. Instead, he's sitting hoping his contract is renewed with us. Says it all really.

They like themselves a divisive motherwell player down there!

There have been quite a link between the two clubs, off top of head I make it:

Derek Adams

Greg Strong (now their Chief Scout)

To them:

Keith Lasley

Jim Paterson
Lionel Ainsworth
To us:

Alan Gow

Carl McHugh

Nathan Thomas

Not gutted to see him go, partly because it was pretty obvious and partly because his performance against Killie shouldn't be allowed to cloud our judgement.

He has left us with some tremendous memories over the past few years, but he is a player that can only play one way, in one style of football, in one position and when it suited him.

Best of luck to him for the rest of his career.

• Like 1

I wish Lionel all the best at his new club. A bit sad that he wont be staying with us but Plymouth are clearly in a position to offer him more than we can. Its a nice part of the world to stay so sure he and his family will do well out of the move. He leaves us with some fantastic memories. None more so than that 3rd goal at Ibrox. #twistandshout

• Like 1