Lionel Ainsworth

I really hope Lionel stays. Unbelievably frustrating player but when he's on form he's the type of guy you pay your money to go and see.

I hope we offer him some sort of incentive based contract. Basic wage of a squad player with performance related bonuses that will hopefully drag a few more playoff-esq performances out of him.

Unless it's on heavily reduced terms (if you believe the rumors he's on a wedge), I am pretty shocked.

The whole "highest earner" thing is another one of those "say it often enough and it becomes true" things people love to repeat with nothing to back it up except that other people have already said it.

Whether it's true or not, I'm sure you're right that a major restructure is in order. One which might still see him leave anyway.

In football manager fantasy land I'd offer him an incentive laden contract and hope it cost us a fortune.

In reality, I don't see why we would offer him better terms than he's currently on, which I'm sure he could probably get elsewhere, but if he really likes it here it may not matter that much.

The whole "highest earner" thing is another one of those "say it often enough and it becomes true" things people love to repeat with nothing to back it up except that other people have already said it.

Whether it's true or not, I'm sure you're right that a major restructure is in order. One which might still see him leave anyway.

Without knowing any real details I am sure I remember when he last renewed it was on the back of a good few months after 3 months of shite. Then he was said to have been "one of" the highest earners. I don't really doubt that either, whatever his wage he was not worth his last extension IMO but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think it's quite possible he was in our top salary range, but that's different from asserting it as a fact. Doesn't make any difference now, though. It also reminds me of one of my favourite Far Side cartoons, so that's a bonus.

42c4d80a29f7848043b9996769c4a700.jpg

Out of curiosity, I know he was our 4th top scorer with 4 goals (10 starts 20 sub appearances in the league), but is there a record kicking about of how many of our goals Ainsworth either directly or indirectly contributed to?

I think he only managed two assists this season:

1. McDonald v Ross County (4-1)

2. Cadden v Dundee (2-3)

So direct involvement is at 13% of league goals.

That puts him 5th behind Moult (20), McDonald (14), Frear ( 8 ), Tait (7) in terms of direct involvement by my reckoning.

Interesting if that puts him above Cadden who's essentially playing in the same position and I'd imagine will have far more minutes on the park (though obviously was more WB/RB in the run in).

You can ask the same question about the penalty as it was his through ball to Clay that "won" the pen.

Depends whose definitions of 'assist' you use, but FIFA's are:

1. An assist was awarded to the player who had given the last pass to the goalscorer.
  2. In addition, also the last but two holder of the ball could get an assist provided that his action had decisive importance for the goal .
  3. After goals from rebounds those players were awarded an assist who had shot on target.
  4. After goals scored on penalty or by a directly converted free-kick the fouled player received a point.
  5. In case that the goalscorer had laid on the goal for himself (dribble, solo run), no assists were awarded.
  6. No assists were awarded, either, if the goalscorer took advantage of a missed pass by an opponent.
  7. Where goals resulting from penalties are concerned, the player who is fouled in the area receives an assist point (unless, that is, the player who is fouled subsequently executes the penalty himself)

While Opta's definition simply appears to be:

The final pass or pass-cum-shot leading to the recipient of the ball scoring a goal.

• Like 1

Assists are one of those American imports they use to make their native sports more interesting and their fantasy sports leagues more profitable.

Like all statistics, it has some use in some circumstances, but doesn't come close to giving a complete picture.