League Cup 2017'18 Next: Celtic F (Hampden) 26/11/17 15:00

gdalli10

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/11/17/phil-odonnell-cup-final-tribute/

Phil O’Donnell cup final tribute
Friday, November 17, 2017

odonnell-internal.jpg

Members of Phil O’Donnell’s family have been invited to attend the Betfred Cup final on November 26 at Hampden as guests of the SPFL, Motherwell and Celtic.

Phil, who represented both clubs during his playing career, sadly passed away due to heart failure at the age of 35 in December 2007. Phil’s youngest son Luc, 14, will also parade the trophy to both sets of supporters and place it on the tunnel plinth directly before both teams take to the pitch, a key role in the day’s proceedings.

An article in the match day programme will also pay tribute to Phil, as well as raise awareness of the work carried out by the charity Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY).

The O’Donnell family are strong supporters of CRY, who offer bereavement support to families affected by young sudden cardiac death and offer cardiac screening for young people aged 14-35 to try to prevent such tragedies. CRY also supports young people diagnosed with potentially life-threatening cardiac conditions.

Phil’s daughter Megan said: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank the SPFL and both clubs for inviting my family to the Betfred Cup final.

“It is so heartwarming to see my dad honoured in such a special way, especially as my youngest brother, Luc, will be presenting the trophy to the fans on the day.

“Luc has little memory of my dad but I’m sure next Sunday will stay with him forever. It will be so nice for him to witness first-hand the extent to which my dad was liked by everyone.

“Unfortunately I won’t be present as I’m currently living in Australia, but I will be watching the game in Sydney at 2am. I brought one of my dad’s football strips away with me as a good luck charm and I’m delighted I’m getting this opportunity to wear it with pride.”

Motherwell’s Chief Operating Officer Alan Burrows added: “We are always eager to remember and honour Phil O’Donnell, a fantastic captain, role model and man, at any opportunity and it’s fitting that ten years after his untimely and tragic passing, two of his former clubs meet in the Betfred Cup final.

“As a club, we are fortunate to have enjoyed Phil’s company and talent on two separate spells and his memory and legacy is all around us at Fir Park, each and every day.

“We are delighted members of Phil’s family will be there to watch the game and are obviously excited and keen to play in what hopefully be a memorable and poignant occasion for everyone.”

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell commented: “It is very fitting that the League Cup final will honour and remember Phil – such a special man, who gave so much to both Celtic and Motherwell.

“Phil was taken from us far too early – but in his life he made such a great contribution to football and more importantly to his family as both a father and a husband.

“We are sure the Betfred Cup final will be a great occasion. We are delighted to be taking part and we look forward to working with Motherwell and the SPFL to ensure that the match is the fitting tribute to Phil, which he richly deserves.”

SPFL Chief Executive Neil Doncaster said: “It seems fitting that, as we approach the tenth anniversary of Phil’s untimely death, two of the clubs he represented with such distinction should meet in the Betfred Cup final.

“We are pleased that Phil’s family will attend Hampden for the match, and that one of his children will play a role in the pre-match proceedings.”

Won't be at the final but my son just told me his pal and wife will be in Scotland on their honeymoon and have tickets for the Motherwell section, Through another Scottish connection. So obviously he's been instructed to cheer the well on to a glorious victory. So if any of you bump into a Texas couple be sure to give them a warm welcome. COYW.

• Like 2

So now that we can forget about the league for a week and we can allow ourselves to dream a little, I figured it would be time to post this in the main match thread.

As I said in the display thread I was feeling guilty about not being able to donate towards the fan display, so I decided to make a video that would represent us all. I've kept myself anonymous (with the exception of a few friends) in an effort for the video to be seen as a collective fan message. It might not be to everyone's taste, but for what it is I hope you enjoy, and feel free to spread around.

See you all on Sunday!

• Like 3

I've no idea what formation we'll go with or who the 11 will be but I think we've got to play two upfront as Moult doesn't play well on his own. It's great having options. I've a funny feeling that Fisher is going to score the winner in the 88th minute.

• Like 1

I've no idea what formation we'll go with or who the 11 will be but I think we've got to play two upfront as Moult doesn't play well on his own. It's great having options. I've a funny feeling that Fisher is going to score the winner in the 88th minute.

Id think well go with yesterdays starting 11, except Campbell in for Grimshaw.

We'll be all rigged out for the cup final day next week. Wife Was over a couple of weeks ago so I got my cup final T shirt, grandson got the motherwell top and my pals 6 month old grandson got the wee Motherwell "onesy" and bib. Son got Motherwell hoody but I think he will probably just look out old top. Maybe I'll look out my old scarf from 1991