Hibernian v Motherwell 08/10/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Not a good performance today. Gave the ball away too much.  Not entirely unexpected. It’s still early days with Stevie but hopefully consistency will come with time. Perhaps if we had stayed at 11 players we could have got something from the game but we were always struggling today. 

Not really much in it, even with a man down. Defence on the whole did well. Their goal came from a deflected cross that could have went anywhere. 

We were poor going forward and less said about setplays ...

Hibs have had six players sent off against them. Thats mental. I thought Boyle took out shields initially with yet another dive. Ref was honking as usual.

For all the hype Hibs aint that great and are certainly getting a run of luck.

Disappointing result but we can’t complain. If you are ineffective going forward and creating chances then you won’t win games and as soon as we went down to 10 men there was only going to be one winner. 

Going forward we need to be starting McKinstry ahead of either Efford or Shields as neither of them are what we need at this level. 

4 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Not really much in it, even with a man down. Defence on the whole did well. Their goal came from a deflected cross that could have went anywhere. 

Hibs have had six players sent off against them. Thats mental. I thought Boyle took out shields initially with yet another dive. Ref was honking as usual.

Yep, Hibs are very average , as this week has shown, the good teams in Scotland are poor in European terms

4 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

They’re definitely not ‘great’ by any stretch of the imagination but they are a better team than us man for man. Unfortunately for us we made things harder for ourselves with a stupid and preventable red card just as we did last season against them in the Cup at Fir Park. 

But you’re right saying that they have carried some amount of luck so far this season. Hearts wiped the floor with them in the Edinburgh derby but couldn’t kill them off and they celebrated a last gasp equaliser like they’d won the World Cup and they did the same when they scored a last minute equaliser against a nine man Rangers. Then today we get a player red carded in a fairly even game and they were able to snatch it.

It’s hugely frustrating.

12 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

Disappointing result but we can’t complain. If you are ineffective going forward and creating chances then you won’t win games and as soon as we went down to 10 men there was only going to be one winner. 

Going forward we need to be starting McKinstry ahead of either Efford or Shields as neither of them are what we need at this level. 

I think Effords has played well enough to keep his place. I’d imagine McKinstry will get his chance to secure a starting place now with Shields suspended. 

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I think Effords has played well enough to keep his place. I’d imagine McKinstry will get his chance to secure a starting place now with Shields suspended. 

Efford has improved in the last couple of games, I’ll give him that but he still lacks the end product. He has looked more of a team player though and his fitness looks better. Shields on the other hand just won’t do, he is a lower league level player I’m afraid.

19 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Agree, we need to work on set pieces. None of our corners or free kicks caused any concern for Hibs and I think the same for most of our games. Midfield was our issue today I think. Gave the ball away too easy too often and so we never got any momentum going. I’m assuming we will blow hot and cold throughout the season in the performance of the midfield but hopefully we can build up some more consistency. For the most part I thought our defence was fine. Midfield poor and forwards not really in the game but Effords looking the most dangerous of the three. 

Shields was terrible all afternoon. Why Hammell left him on so long is inexplicable. 

Waiting so long to make the subs at 10 men was another error. Tierney was out his depth again and needs to go out on loan as he's contributing nothing here.

Lamie, Penney and Sol were excellent. McGinn was good other than his crossing. Efford looked very good, much improved. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Tierney was out his depth again and needs to go out on loan as he's contributing nothing here.

He looks way off it physically at this level. I don’t know about out on loan but he needs to seriously work in the gym before he can be a regular starter for us in the league.

45 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

One thing we are good at is being consistent at being inconsistent 

We’re starting to get pretty consistent at not winning, that’s one win in five now with three very tough games coming up. The football has certainly improved but  it’s important to start getting more points on the board even if it’s playing hoofball at times.

We’re in a horrible run of fixtures. The Ross County game being re-scheduled gave us a more winnable fixture amongst a run of Hearts, Celtic, Hibs, Rangers, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Hearts.

With the team we’ve got we were always going to be hard pushed to pick up points from that run of fixtures. That’s why the win in Dingwall was so crucial as we could easily pick up nothing in our next five league matches.

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Shouldn't be fearing Aberdeen, pumped tonight 

Where did Utd pull that result from??  Our result today is not fully unexpected. Our major slip ups have been versus Utd and Killie. Threw 5 points away between those two games, otherwise we’d be sitting in third spot. (Yes, I know about aunties ba’s and awe that)  So we are not too far off the mark. Long way to go in the season I think we will win our fair share and finish top 6 on our own merit. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Shouldn't be fearing Aberdeen, pumped tonight 

I see where you’re coming from but when did we come close to a result like that at home against Aberdeen? I know we won 3-0 at Pittodrie in September 2020 but our recent home results in that fixture have tended to be tight. If anything that result tonight will work against us when we face them in two weeks time, as they will be fired up to prevent a repeat.

I can only echo what others have said, we weren’t great today but it’s a sign of how much we’ve improved when we are poor at Easter Road and it takes a sending off to put us under pressure. A very frustrating outcome.

Having said that I absolutely back us to pick up points here and there during this upcoming run of fixtures. I still maintain we will be fighting for top six with teams like Hibs.

1 hour ago, MJC_mkII said:

I see where you’re coming from but when did we come close to a result like that at home against Aberdeen? I know we won 3-0 at Pittodrie in September 2020 but our recent home results in that fixture have tended to be tight. If anything that result tonight will work against us when we face them in two weeks time, as they will be fired up to prevent a repeat.

Beat them 2-1 in cup last season