Scottish Cup 2022/2023

MJC

I seem to remember a cup tie at Garfield in the early eighties. I think we won four nil. Might be a little tougher this time as Dick Campbell has done a great job there. Still, someone different and an away day for our fans against someone we rarely play. Used to be a very tidy wee ground as well so worth a visit if you are into that sort of thing.

Just now, The African said:

I seem to remember a cup tie at Garfield in the early eighties. I think we won four nil. Might be a little tougher this time as Dick Campbell has done a great job there. Still, someone different and an away day for our fans against someone we rarely play. Used to be a very tidy ground as well so worth a visit if you are into that sort of thing.

And a lover of lasagne!!!!......ahhh do ye not mean Gayfield?   Lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The African said:

I seem to remember a cup tie at Garfield in the early eighties. I think we won four nil. Might be a little tougher this time as Dick Campbell has done a great job there. Still, someone different and an away day for our fans against someone we rarely play. Used to be a very tidy wee ground as well so worth a visit if you are into that sort of thing.

Arbroath have had a dip in form this season, but the conditions in January are rarely easy to play. The wind makes every pass an adventure.

9 minutes ago, The African said:

Remember that game.

Having a piss over the harbour wall that the wind blew back right over my head and some smart Alex who thought it would be a good idea to bring home a couple of stinking kippers on the bus.

Was a bit of bother with the locals as well if I remember correctly.

3 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Arbroath have had a dip in form this season, but the conditions in January are rarely easy to play. The wind makes every pass an adventure.

In the days before undersoil heating and plastic pitches, Arbroath were just about the only team who were guaranteed to have a playable surface, whatever the weather. The pitch is so close to the firth of Tay that it doesn’t freeze. As such, throughout the 1970s, you would get the Scotsport cameras there every couple of years because Arbroath v Stirling Albion (or whoever) was the only league game on in Scotland.

While the pitch itself never freezes, the same cannot be said for supporters, so anyone planning a trip, please remember to dress accordingly.

7 minutes ago, santheman said:

Remember that game.

Having a piss over the harbour wall that the wind blew back right over my head and some smart Alex who thought it would be a good idea to bring home a couple of stinking kippers on the bus.

Probably the locals that were standing behind you when you had a piss!!! Lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, santheman said:

Remember that game.

Am I correct in thinking Albert Kidd might have scored at least one of our goals?

As for the interesting fish anecdote, sorry to be pedantic, but traditionally they smoke haddock in Arbroath so technically unlikely to be kippers. As you can guess, I am great fun at parties.

With regard to the local neds, I used to live in Dundee in the late eighties, early nineties and there were tales of the Arbroath locals trying to mix it with folk from the local military base at Condor. Needless to say they came off second best against Royal Marine Commandos.

4 minutes ago, The African said:

Am I correct in thinking Albert Kidd might have scored at least one of our goals?

As for the interesting fish anecdote, sorry to be pedantic, but traditionally they smoke haddock in Arbroath so technically unlikely to be kippers. As you can guess, I am great fun at parties.

With regard to the local neds, I used to live in Dundee in the late eighties, early nineties and there were tales of the Arbroath locals trying to mix it with folk from the local military base at Condor. Needless to say they came off second best against Royal Marine Commandos.

Great fish info but we need to knock you off your perch!!!.  Ba boom.    I best stop , I will be giving everyone a haddock.

Ps. For cup tie might be best to play long ball game, might be worth trying to sign Connor Sammon!!! (Sorry folks)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Great fish info but we need to knock you off your perch!!!.  Ba boom.    I best stop , I will be giving everyone a haddock.

Ps. For cup tie might be best to play long ball game, might be worth trying to sign Connor Sammon!!! (Sorry folks)

You are quite right, and I apologise profusely. I really should know my plaice.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

There was also the game in the late 90s (I think) which was abandoned at HT due to the wind, with Motherwell 1-0 up. We drew the rearranged game and won the replay, but it was a bit of a nightmare tie all round.

January 2000 I think.  Game was called off mid match because of the gales. After the game there was quite a bit of trouble in front of the ground. We then drew the game at Arbroath; the rearranged replay at FP was called off; and we won final game only to be knocked out by Ayr in the next round. Quite a saga. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The African said:

HMS Condor been there