2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

5 hours ago, David said:

Well, I think I've been quite fair in highlighting the reasoning behind my thinking. It's not like I'm just posting, "he's shite! Terrible signing!" and other such nonsense we see from other forum members. 

I've given my reasons, and you and others can feel free to disagree, of course. At this stage, it's all just conjecture, as I've said a few times. 

And at no point have I said the manager doesn't deserve time. But that doesn't mean I need to sit silent and wait until we're at the end of next month before making a comment.

I've said that I'm judging the signings on their track records to this point, which is what fans of all clubs all over the world do. It's not something new or unreasonable.

I don't particularly like the sound of how the manager wants to set us up, and I'm not overly keen on our signings to this point for the most part. 

The difference between me and certain other posters is that I will take absolutely zero pleasure in being right about that if it comes to pass. I want the team to succeed, and for Theo Bair to be a resounding success. Why wouldn't I?

Cant argue with any of that tbf. And I will give you Theo Bair. Even I was looking at a that one and thinking "2 year deal?"

He may end up still being shite over the longer term, but his performance last week was enough to remind me that I should just wait until Ive seen the player myself before I think I know better than the manager.

He clearly thinks he see's something in the guy and on the evidence of last week, he might not be wrong.

• Like 1

Catastrophic is harsh. It was a gamble that didn't work out and he got the bullet at the right time. We got off to a fairly decent start under Hammell, things were going okay but he lacked experience around him.

McGhee second spell, now THAT was catastrophic.

Screen-Shot-2017-02-15-at-223335.png

There are posts about getting some of our younger players on a  possible longer contexts after the lesson of Max Johnston , for me the priority is to make sure SK is tied down to a longer contract ( no idea what contract he has) but I am sure SK will be on the radar of some of our rivals.  (If Hibs fail to go through in Conference League Cup on Thursday I wouldn’t be surprised if Lee Johnston is emptied)

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

There are posts about getting some of our younger players on a  possible longer contexts after the lesson of Max Johnston , for me the priority is to make sure SK is tied down to a longer contract ( no idea what contract he has) but I am sure SK will be on the radar of some of our rivals.  (If Hibs fail to go through in Conference League Cup on Thursday I wouldn’t be surprised if Lee Johnston is emptied)

Hmmm...

Manager comes in, saves us from relegation, starts off well the following season and is then handed an extended contract. 

Where have I seen that happen before? 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, David said:

Hmmm...

Manager comes in, saves us from relegation, starts off well the following season and is then handed an extended contract. 

Where have I seen that happen before? 

I agree,  SK has done superb so far but not wanting to make same mistake we done with Alexander by giving him a 3 1/2 year extension.  SK on a 2 yr deal so no rush, we are only 2 league games into a season 

1 hour ago, fizoxy said:

Does having the manager on a contract give us any leverage? They usually just quit then rock up to their next job anyway.

Leverage. not so much. A useful pay-off, sometimes.

You typically only lose a manager when he's doing really well or doing really badly. So the best we can hope for is the former.

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I agree,  SK has done superb so far but not wanting to make same mistake we done with Alexander by giving him a 3 1/2 year extension.  SK on a 2 yr deal so no rush, we are only 2 league games into a season 

Trouble is if you wait too long then it’s too late.  Tricky!!  I think I’d start discussions on extending a year or two just now 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Trouble is if you wait too long then it’s too late.  Tricky!!  I think I’d start discussions on extending a year or two just now 

Sods law he would sign extension then we would lose 6 on the bounce........( I think MJC has hacked my account) lol, only joking 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

If we look at the pros and cons, I think the best course of action is to not offer him an extended deal.

Pro - If he does well, we can argue for some compensation from any club wanting to take him. It wouldn't be all that much, mind you, considering the type of club that's likely to be interested in someone like Kettlewell.

Con - If he doesn't do well, we have to sack him and pay him off, which means spending money we likely don't really have to spare.

For me, I'd rather we run the risk of losing him if he does well. I'd rather be sitting in a great position and have him leave for nothing than be in the shit and have to pay him off.

• Like 1

Saturday was first i have seen of Suare. Yes the reviews previously were not great but i thought he did well. Furlong was good but if Suare keeps up that form and perhaps adds to it, theres no need for another LB.

I would quite like to see a wide player added to the squad. Yes, thats not SK's preferred shape but would be good to have options.

In an ideal world a forward thinking midfielder who happens to be on the same wavelength as Mika. Someone who can see the runs & makes the passes. Im not sure we have anyone who operates on that level anymore. Hopefully miller will get there.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, steelboy said:

Ideally we get Furlong back and add someone to compete with Spittal. 

Furlong won't be back we have no need for him anyway Souare will do just fine as for Spittal I'd be happy for him to have no competition for his place and start every week, since SK arrived he's been one of our best performers.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Furlong won't be back we have no need for him anyway Souare will do just fine as for Spittal I'd be happy for him to have no competition for his place and start every week, since SK arrived he's been one of our best performers.

You do realise people get injured

• David locked this topic