2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Killie and St Mirren are blowing us out of the water financially apparently. We've released God knows how many players, have the smallest squad and paying our main striker to date Peanuts.  Is our CEO penny pinching and risking a relegation on balancing a budget sheet? Fans are already disinterested and falling away. The club needs a boost of some sorts, not another boot in the Nether regions.

We do need a boost but tbh I dont think it was a bad thing putting players out on loan who weren't getting game time. I get what you are saying but we can't go back to the days of throwing money at players given that we ended up in administration. 

4 minutes ago, David said:

But how are they able to do that? Aren't St Mirren fan owned? Just like us?

25 to 50% of St Mirren are owned by Kibble Education and Care Centre with a turnover of £41 million pounds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

We do need a boost but tbh I dont think it was a bad thing putting players out on loan who weren't getting game time. I get what you are saying but we can't go back to the days of throwing money at players given that we ended up in administration. 

I get that, but what's the point of freeing up wages, to not use it to at least bring in fewer players who are better quality. Our squad is the smallest in league, surely there's money available.

We need players who can play upfront. Scoring goals win you games, especially when we need to outscore our opponents given how bad our defence is at stopping goals.

6 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I wouldn't say it was an embarrassment.  Not much club can do if Blackburn boot us in the baws and KVV goes to a club that are willing to fork out wages on a par with their early 90's when they had victor, Archibald and Tomas Stickroth.

Let's just wait and see how things develop 

It would certainly feel like a boot in the balls if either or both happen. Even if there is nothing in the Vale rumour the fact that a player held in such high regard whom we were linked with bringing back ends up going to St.Mirren as they can apparently offer twice the amount as we can whilst we continue trying to secure another bottom feeding loan from the lower English leagues is utterly fucking scunnering. Even just a quick read through the comments on X is enough to show that a lot of fans are fed up too and I think seeing KvV join St.Mirren whilst we’ll be lucky to bring in another loan would be a gut wrencher for many.

7 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

25 to 50% of St Mirren are owned by Kibble Education and Care Centre with a turnover of £41 million pounds.

St Mirren also have loans due of 1.8 million.
They publish a very detailed set of accounts.
Last season they very much held their own on the P and L, and had 1.3 million in the bank.
Although 1 year behind, Motherwells accounts showed 1.4 million overspend on St Mirren on staff wages with the SAME TURNOVER leading to a 1million Loss - new accounts will be filed this month.

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

It would certainly feel like a boot in the balls if either or both happen. Even if there is nothing in the Vale rumour the fact that a player held in such high regard whom we were linked with bringing back ends up going to St.Mirren as they can apparently offer twice the amount as we can whilst we continue trying to secure another bottom feeding loan from the lower English leagues is utterly fucking scunnering. Even just a quick read through the comments on X is enough to show that a lot of fans are fed up too and I think seeing KvV join St.Mirren whilst we’ll be lucky to bring in another loan would be a gut wrencher for many.

See to be honest with you. I'll be sorry if we miss out on Kev but I won't be heartbroken. I personally don't think we were ever in the running and as other people have said it doesn't always work second time around 

Just now, MelvinBragg said:

I think we may look back on not getting Van Veen as a bullet dodged...

Maybe. That’s the thing you don’t really know until we have the benefit of hindsight. Even then, if he flops or is major success, it could still be a different outcome in a ‘well jersey. You just don’t know. 

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Our squad is the smallest in league, surely there's money available.

Unless we genuinely are in financial trouble and are struggling to tick over day to day? 

As I said a few weeks back, there are worrying signs for the club and with that video and now apparently we can’t even offer half the wages that St.Mirren do then you have to wonder. Either we are up shit creek financially or there is a huge amount of lying and penny pinching going on at Fir Park?

I honestly don’t know the answer to that but whatever it is it does not bode well for us as a club going forward.

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Unless we genuinely are in financial trouble and are struggling to tick over day to day? 

As I said a few weeks back, there are worrying signs for the club and with that video and now apparently we can’t even offer half the wages that St.Mirren do then you have to wonder. Either we are up shit creek financially or there is a huge amount of lying and penny pinching going on at Fir Park?

I honestly don’t know the answer to that but whatever it is it does not bode well for us as a club going forward.

Or as someone said above St Mirren have backers with money. 

1 minute ago, thewelllfan said:

So if Vale goes we need 2 strikers and a cb through the door before half 11 tonight aswell as this LB were taking a gamble on

Probably end up signing 3 right backs!!.  No offence to Devine but we don't need a right back.

2 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

So if Vale goes we need 2 strikers and a cb through the door before half 11 tonight aswell as this LB were taking a gamble on

Easy to sort  just stick big Bevis up front and hail Mary the balls from the first to final whistle!

13 minutes ago, David said:

But how are they able to do that? Aren't St Mirren fan owned? Just like us?

They are owned by a fan group, but only to the extent of 51%. So not like us. A local Charity....Kibble who look after kids I think.....also bought just over 25% of shares with the rest being privately owned.

So technically fan owned, but a bit like the Norwegian model we discussed whereby local Companies/Individuals enter into a Partnership Agreement.. Helping to fund various non football playing aspects of the Business. Perhaps that frees up funds for transfer business or perhaps the other investors contribute? They actually had less Members than the Well Society at last count but their model would appear to provide a better operating balance. I think....but not certain....that most German Clubs are 51% fan owned which also allows scope for that outside investment. Red Bull upset that applecart and that is why most fans/clubs detest them.

Our problem could be that the fans own too many shares, leaving no scope for outside investment. Whatever, they would look to be in a healthier position than we are. 

Tbf our lucks no exacly been in 

Spencer and Mika getting recalled has killed us a bit.

Even at that though surley Gent and halliday could cover LWB after Montgommery got injured.

We're needing a cb that can play in the middle of the 3 and actually organise them aswell as at least 1 st and 2 if Vale goes Notts County bit of a write off this season just get 10th and rebuild this squad next season

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

I think Mr Weir stated quite clearly we are not in financial trouble. 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

Or as someone said above St Mirren have backers with money. 

Noted. But it’s still pretty galling for us to be ‘gazumped’ by them by double and brings us back to the issue we face that fan ownership isn’t feasible for us as a club. This is just my opinion but I don’t see how we can sustain ourselves as a top flight and full time club on our current structure and as I’ve said before if and when we are relegated then part time football is inevitable for us. 

• David locked this topic