2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

9 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Unfortunately in modern football exorbitant wage demands are the norm and at a level we cant compete in so the clubs unwillingness to pay them is irrelevant.

As for the current custodians of our club I've no doubt they are all successful business people in their own fields but not at running a football club, these are the people who signed off on players like Obika, Souare, Shaw, Wilkinson etc⁸ costing the club  decent money no doubt on wages etc for nothing in return. we're now on our 3rd manager since Robinson left, we can't seem to appoint a CEO to replace Burrows, our recruitment strategy is a shambles and year on year its getting worse, its a constant downward spiral.

I hope the recent moves to attract additional investment are successful as that may be the catalyst needed to get the club back on track to building a stable team, instead of the summer and winter clearouts we seem to now be getting.

Throughout the footballing world there won’t be many who have solely become proficient having set out to run a football club.

these are the people’ never signed off on any player - they provided a football department a budget to work with.

Burrows was a one off & someone who shielded those making decisions behind the scenes. Expect those who repeat the failure to appoint will be the same when the next in the role doesn’t have the social media presence of those before them.

Summer and winter clearouts are de rigueur in Scottish football. Would be great to change that cycle, I’m not seeing it happen anytime soon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I've had a season ticket for most of the past 28 seasons. Does that entitle me to moan about what I perceive as failings in how our Club is run and managed? I also hold my hands up when wrong, eventually. My life isn't sad, and I enjoy my job because I am good at it, but I also like to be critical of the team I've followed since I was 10. Live and let live. 

I did say "some" and "generally"

Live and let live! but most can't be arsed with continuous negative boring people imo.

I see the curry club over in Pie and Bovril have been slating this forum. Quite ironic as many of them were having meltdowns last night that would put this thread to shame. I just find that an odd place as many of them enjoying being bedfellows with fans of other clubs.

Anyway it has been quite a frustrating window esph with the injuries and recalls but in saying that if we managed to get another forward in I would have been quite content with the business that we have done.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, maz said:

I see the curry club over in Pie and Bovril have been slating this forum. Quite ironic as many of them were having meltdowns last night that would put this thread to shame. I just find that an odd place as many of them enjoying being bedfellows with fans of other clubs.

Anyway it has been quite a frustrating window esph with the injuries and recalls but in saying that if we managed to get another forward in I would have been quite content with the business that we have done.

There are a few excellent posters on the Motherwell P&B in terms of thoughtful posts and statistics, but, for the most part, it's a big self-congratulatory circle jerk on that thread. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Was it not 20 grand?

I seriously doubt it. I've worked with marketing firms in London for public transport campaigns that didn't cost that much.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

I get that a forum is for all opinions and we can't all be positive but by God the last 24 hours have been negativity central. 

After the transfer window we've had, I can't really blame them. I doubt we're the only club whose fans will be pissed off, though. A certain team from the east end of Glasgow springs to mind.

23 minutes ago, maz said:

I see the curry club over in Pie and Bovril have been slating this forum. Quite ironic as many of them were having meltdowns last night that would put this thread to shame.

To each their own I guess. I've posted a few times over there, but a forum with only one thread on Motherwell doesn't hold much appeal for me. I actually prefer it here. 

And even our regular moaners tend to at least have a coherent reason for their thinking, even if I don't agree with them often. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yassin said:

I never get why people talk about P&B vs here as if its not about 60% the same people

Correct.

I have been on FirParkCorner since 2008 but joined Steelmen Online in 2022 because the former seems to have died a death. And I don't think those in the curry club would tolerate my critical posts.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

So when are we cutting the costs on the women's team?

Well we're supposed to be a Community Club and as much as you might not like it, that includes women.

Why stop there though; why don't we do away with the walking football team, the power chair football team and all the other Community based projects and put all the money saved there into the first team squad.

We can't have it both ways.

• Like 3

How astute some of our fans are when describing the Board as amateurs, they are correct. They receive no pay for what they do, so, by definition, they are indeed amateurs.

As to the complaint that the Directors are not experienced on the Board of a football club, I would ask how do you become experienced on the Board of a football club without being on the Board of a football club?

There was a post by David recently regarding the recruitment policy process of the club. Whilst not everyone may have agreed fully with his proposal at least he took the time and effort to put forward an extremely in depth, well thought out and articulate analysis as to what he believed could be improved. Unlike the vast majority of the posts on here which are just negative criticism and could, possibly, at times be classed as bullying and/or trolling.

Also for those who are no happy with the direction the Club is heading, there are a number of possible options available.

Option 1

1.    Join the Well Society

2.    Put yourself forward to be a Director of the WS

3.    Get elected

4.    Be nominated to be the WS Director on the Main Board

5.    Put forward your proposals for change

Option 2

1.    Be asked to join the Board of MFC due to your existing skills

2.    Put forward your proposal for Change

Option 3

1      Buy MFC

2      Do what you like as you now own it

Or go with what you currently seem best at – being negative and criticising others.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, David said:

I seriously doubt it. I've worked with marketing firms in London for public transport campaigns that didn't cost that much.

After the transfer window we've had, I can't really blame them. I doubt we're the only club whose fans will be pissed off, though. A certain team from the east end of Glasgow springs to mind.

To each their own I guess. I've posted a few times over there, but a forum with only one thread on Motherwell doesn't hold much appeal for me. I actually prefer it here. 

And even our regular moaners tend to at least have a coherent reason for their thinking, even if I don't agree with them often. 

I personally don't think our transfer window was a total disaster. Apparently we missed out on a couple of options because of where we are in the table - relegation rivals and we apparently just missed out on a Sunderland player. I don't think for a minute that Kettlewell wasn't trying his best to bring another forward in. 

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

I personally don't think our transfer window was a total disaster. Apparently we missed out on a couple of options because of where we are in the table - relegation rivals and we apparently just missed out on a Sunderland player. I don't think for a minute that Kettlewell wasn't trying his best to bring another forward in. 

I don't think it was as bad as some do, but I don't see much rhyme or reason to our signings. I'm sure the manager was keen on bringing players in, but beyond handing the recruitment team his requirements, I don't know if there's much more he can do.

It's not his job to sift through the available players on the market and ring their agent or parent club. It's his job to identify where we need players and then coach the team he's given.

11 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I think the signings made look good.  If we had got another striker in it would have been good.   It's the lack of firepower that I think is the main issue for most folk.

With Lennon back and hopefully Casey soon then squad looking a bit stronger.

Ps. Obika was due back tomorrow but I have just heard he has a paper cut and has now been ruled out 🙂🙂

5 hours ago, mfc said:

We're not getting anything from turnbulls transfer,we needed it to be a much bigger fee for us to get any cut.

Grant Russell was saying a short time ago that if the 2 million fee was accurate we should be getting 75 to 80k.

Essentially he was discussing the FIFA Solidarity Mechanism, to quote him "Each time a player moves cross border for a fee, 5% of it is distributed to the clubs where they spent the ages of 12 to 23. This applies for all future transfers cross border. If a player trained by Club A is now moving from Club C to Club D, Club A will get their slice. The amount is percentage based, calculated depending on the training years. Signing clubs have 30 days to pay up."

While it might not be a massive fee I suppose it's nice not to be left empty handed. 

10 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Grant Russell was saying a short time ago that if the 2 million fee was accurate we should be getting 75 to 80k.

Essentially he was discussing the FIFA Solidarity Mechanism, to quote him "Each time a player moves cross border for a fee, 5% of it is distributed to the clubs where they spent the ages of 12 to 23. This applies for all future transfers cross border. If a player trained by Club A is now moving from Club C to Club D, Club A will get their slice. The amount is percentage based, calculated depending on the training years. Signing clubs have 30 days to pay up."

While it might not be a massive fee I suppose it's nice not to be left empty handed. 

That means we could have got van veen for 75k. Why did we not push for that?

4 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

We don't have the money from that transfer yet. Turnbull only moved on yesterday. Also. If Van Veen is being paid anything from 6k-7k (potentially more) a week by Killie and he's signed on till the end of the season you're probably looking at nearer 100k than 75k

3 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Because the people in charge of the club don't think Van Veen was worth the outlay. We offered what we deemed to be what he's worth. Other clubs decided to offer more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David said:

Because the people in charge of the club don't think Van Veen was worth the outlay. We offered what we deemed to be what he's worth. Other clubs decided to offer more.

This. The KVV thing is on the other clubs, not us. We had a value and stuck to it, and that was the right thing to do.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I just find it pretty hard to believe we couldnt get another striker in when Burrnley is signing a player from the Lowland League of Scotland who just happened to be a striker!

If someone was to tell me Bair was going to be out main striker i wouldnt have laughed hard its now a reality i am still not convinced by him now is the time to change that we will see what he is made of now the real pressure will be on him to deliver the goods.

And i am telling you right now if we extended Obikas contract then that will be the final straw for me cause that is an utter waste of clubs money thats ment to be so skint.

On a goodnote i am looking forward to out left hand side of the pitch Buyabu and Gent could be pretty deadly together have high hopes for that combo.

yip playing lovely long deep crosses to our new rb /rwb who will return the favour,  could be doing with someone in the middle to maybe intercept a few of them

• David locked this topic