McKinstry black balled?

steelboy

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

McKinstry is a winger, we are not playing wingers in this formation, O'Donnell is a defender/wing back. McKinstry cannot defend to safe his life. Pretty simple really

^^ This.  One of my big gripes with Robinson (a lot of the time), Alexander and then Hammel was playing a formation that played players out of their position and shoehorning square pegs into round holes, which means that a lot of players weren't getting the chance to do what they were good at. Kettlewell has put together a formation that is generally playing players where they're at their best. KVV is a great example. You canny have an instinctive goal scorer being given the ball on the half way line out wide, He needs service in and around the box. Goss at 'quarterback', Cornelius chasing and harrying and Spittal going forward quickly gets the best out of all of them. Overlapping backs negate the need for wingers and we have 2 good ones right now. 

McKinstry may be a player but there's no place for a winger in the current set up. Would be mental to alter a winning formula to accomodate a loan player. 

The manager killed the game and changed the formation today to give his boy Paton a run about. It's not about the formation. 

McKinstry is clearly a better player than guys who are getting minutes for us but he is miles out the picture. 

And for the hard of reading the comparison isn't between McKinstry and SOD but the fact that the manager is happy to significantly weaken the team to give SOD an appearance and win bonus but McKinstry who would strengthen us is frozen out. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If Mckinstry was not a Motherwell boy this would not be an issue. The system we play does not lend it's self to wingers. Should we change the system just to accommodate a loan player? I think not. Why are fans worried about a player who is not ours?

7 minutes ago, sinjy said:

If Mckinstry was not a Motherwell boy this would not be an issue. The system we play does not lend it's self to wingers. Should we change the system just to accommodate a loan player? I think not. Why are fans worried about a player who is not ours?

We played a 5-4-1 in the second half today with Spittal and Paton trying and failing to support Van Veen. He would have been an improvement over either of them. 

Aitchison and Mandron also aren't exactly setting the heather on fire whereas McKinstry has our second best goals per minutes. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

One for older readers but Mandron reminds me of Crawford Baptie 

Aye, but nowhere near as skilfull or mobile.

• Haha 1

Van Veen played a lot of the 2nd half out wide left.

I think you can make an argument that we would have been more effective with Mandron withdrawn, Van Veen more central and McKinstry going wide.  Especially at 3-0 you can surely experiment a bit.

There are a few players who have been more or less patched under Kettlewell.  Tierney, McKinstry, Crankshaw, Danzaki, Blaney etc.

It's a results business but I think if it's purely a footballing decision McKinstry has been a little bit hard done by.

Blaney was injured and only just coming back. He was playing before his injury. I would definitely not say he had been patched in any way. Danzaki was also injured and only just started back.

Crankshaw was let go for reasons that had bugger all to do with his ability on the park. Obika will be back shortly as well and is keen to hang around into next season.

52 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Blaney was injured and only just coming back. He was playing before his injury. I would definitely not say he had been patched in any way. Danzaki was also injured and only just started back.

Crankshaw was let go for reasons that had bugger all to do with his ability on the park. Obika will be back shortly as well and is keen to hang around into next season.

I missed this. What's the craic ??

9 hours ago, wellfan said:

Kettlewell would be insane to change a wining team and style. That’s the simple response to those making comments about certain players being sidelined. 

In this league if you only have one 'style' your success will be short lived as other teams will figure it out.

Happens all the time when managers have a good run in one set of fixtures and then when they play teams a second time round they are sussed.  It's one of the biggest reasons why no team, outside the OF, can really put together any kind of consistency.  

Also, it's possible to have a base structure and then adapt that depending on what is happening in a match.  

That's really the key to being a good manager.  Making intelligent changes in response to the flow of the match.  Not rigidly sticking to one system for 90 minutes every week.

I'm not saying McKinstry should be starting matches, as has rightly been said we are in form right now, but I don't think it's literally impossible for him to play a part in this side.

• Like 1

Hard to argue with success. As such, players who are unhappy about not making the team have two options, take the hump or do something in training to grab the attention of the manager. While waiting for their chance they just have to remain patient and believe that the chance will come. When it does they need to be ready to grab it with both hands. It really isn’t a bad position to be in from the perspective of the club.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, steelboy said:

The manager killed the game and changed the formation today to give his boy Paton a run about. It's not about the formation. 

McKinstry is clearly a better player than guys who are getting minutes for us but he is miles out the picture. 

And for the hard of reading the comparison isn't between McKinstry and SOD but the fact that the manager is happy to significantly weaken the team to give SOD an appearance and win bonus but McKinstry who would strengthen us is frozen out. 

Clearly the manager has not got a clue what he’s doing.

• Haha 4

As much as McKinstry is a good, exciting player, you have to be off your head to suggest he should be in the team. We have just nailed 16 points from 21. Outside the old firm we are the form team. Kettlewell is making all the right calls at the moment.

If we were not pulling in the points at this rate then yes, perhaps we could question him but for the time being, just enjoy the roll!

Some folks just like a moan

• Like 3

I think Stuart McKinstry has been a victim of circumstances.  When he came in Ketts said that he'd strip things back to basics, which he's done very effectively. He believes 3-5-2 suits the players he has at his disposal. It remnaisns to be seen how Ketts reacts when we're safe - does he change the system or try out fringe players to assess them for next season?

As for young Stuart - he is out of contract at leeds in the summer. Other things being equal he'd like to stay if the circumstances were right I'd think. But, if he wants to move on then who can blame him. A lot depends on the conversations he's had with the manager. Don't forget, during the dark depths of Hammell's reign, he was one of our better players - not an easy time to shine for any our lads.  

• Like 1