St Johnston v Motherwell 13/05/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 5/13/2023 at 4:44 PM, grizzlyg said:

Anyway hope weather in Perth same as Leeds where I am. Mrs grizzly running Rob Burrow Leeds Marathon for charity, all for motor neurone disease. Very proud of her.

I know not football related but Mrs Grizzly completed marathon and has raised £560 for motor neurone disease....legendess. a few beers to celebrate....she is sore and I am feckin sunburnt!! 🤪🤪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I know not football related but Mrs Grizzly completed marathon and has raised £560 for motor neurone disease....legendess. a few beers to celebrate....she is sore and I am feckin sunburnt!! 🤪🤪

Good job 👍 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Use the Voltaren for the legendess You know what you need. 
Grizzly you should know after a few weeks of sun here in Queensland to slip slop slap on a hat even if it’s Leeds 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Well done to her.

• Thanks 1

Europe is an absolute goldmine if done properly, and the opportunity to see Motherwell play in a foreign country is great fun, I am all for it.

The issue is that on the rare occasion we make it we completely fuck up our preparation and embarrass ourselves and the rest of Scotland. Hopefully the next time it rolls round we have learned our lesson and manage to get through a few rounds. If we managed to sneak into a group stage it would set the club up for years.

I just can’t wrap my head around any Motherwell fan not wanting that. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, GazzyB said:

the opportunity to see Motherwell play in a foreign country is great fun

And that, let’s face it, is the real reason that a lot of Motherwell fans want to see us qualify for Europe. 

We are never going to do anything of note at that level as we simply don’t and never will have the money required to do it. And I don’t just mean go deep into the tournament either, I mean even getting to the Europa League group stages is beyond us, as it is for every other club our size and with our budget.

But I suspect the majority of Motherwell fans realise and accept this. The ones who get all excited about ‘Europe’ get excited at the prospect of a few days abroad on the booze more than the football itself. Some of them that travel probably don’t even go to the game when they are there. But it’s all great fun!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

29 minutes ago, MJC said:

And that, let’s face it, is the real reason that a lot of Motherwell fans want to see us qualify for Europe. 

We are never going to do anything of note at that level as we simply don’t and never will have the money required to do it. And I don’t just mean go deep into the tournament either, I mean even getting to the Europa League group stages is beyond us, as it is for every other club our size and with our budget.

But I suspect the majority of Motherwell fans realise and accept this. The ones who get all excited about ‘Europe’ get excited at the prospect of a few days abroad on the booze more than the football itself. Some of them that travel probably don’t even go to the game when they are there. But it’s all great fun!

What a lot of shite, i suspect you dont get out much to enjoy yourself, Motherwell fans know we are not going to go deep into a Euro tournament but just qualifying for them means you've had a good season either through league form or winning a cup. You mention the Europa league, finishing 3rd in the premiership a very achievable target gets you into the playoff round, 2 wins or a win and a draw from the group stages so for a team like Motherwell that's within our capabilities.

Some of my proudest moments as a well fan have been at Euro games home and especially away, Katowice in our 1st ever Euro match, Dortmund, Nancy, and the Olympic stadium in Athens to watch Motherwell in the Champions league, and even in Sligo this season as a football fan its an experience not to be missed.

You obviously don't like being happy or others enjoying themselves but each to their own so you batter in being a dour faced troll, the rest of us will look forward to the next Euro adventure whenever it comes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, MJC said:

That's a lot of assumptions 

16 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

What a lot of shite, i suspect you dont get out much to enjoy yourself, Motherwell fans know we are not going to go deep into a Euro tournament but just qualifying for them means you've had a good season either through league form or winning a cup. You mention the Europa league, finishing 3rd in the premiership a very achievable target gets you into the playoff round, 2 wins or a win and a draw from the group stages so for a team like Motherwell that's within our capabilities.

Some of my proudest moments as a well fan have been at Euro games home and especially away, Katowice in our 1st ever Euro match, Dortmund, Nancy, and the Olympic stadium in Athens to watch Motherwell in the Champions league, and even in Sligo this season as a football fan its an experience not to be missed.

You obviously don't like being happy or others enjoying themselves but each to their own so you batter in being a dour faced troll, the rest of us will look forward to the next Euro adventure whenever it comes.

Well said.

And don't forget the fall back of a guaranteed Group place in the Conference if you fail to make the Europa Groups. As I said earlier, that route brought in over £5m for Hearts this season and Aberdeen will likely make even more next season when they finish third this time round.

Yes, of course many of our fans look forward to to the away trips. Why shouldn't they? But for MJC to suggest that the majority of the fans are unaware or don't care about the potential financial rewards for our Club is insulting.

Third place in this League.....and the European experience and income that entails....is possible. Or perhaps MJC wants to take even that ambition away from us. Football is meant to be fun, an escape from the crap that life can be at times, and a chance to dream. At least it is for most of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

There’s nothing wrong with going abroad and enjoying a piss up when your team is playing a European tie, if that’s what going to the football is about for you then that’s fine. It’s just not for me. I prefer to see us compete at a level we are capable at and be the best we possibly can be at that level. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

There’s nothing wrong with going abroad and enjoying a piss up when your team is playing a European tie, if that’s what going to the football is about for you then that’s fine. It’s just not for me. I prefer to see us compete at a level we are capable at and be the best we possibly can be at that level. 

So how do you know what level you can get to if you just stay at home and never leave your own garden?

You need to test yourself. The only way you can do that is getting out and pitting your wits against different teams from different leagues.

10 hours ago, MJC said:

We are never going to do anything of note at that level as we simply don’t and never will have the money required to do it.

We're never gonna win the league and probably won't win a cup for a very long time either, so what's the point eh?

9 hours ago, MJC said:

So I m guessing you want to see us qualify for Europe - by finishing as high up in the league as possible or winning a cup

10 hours ago, GazzyB said:

We're never gonna win the league and probably won't win a cup for a very long time either, so what's the point eh?

But we can compete in the league and the cup, some years better than others granted. Europe is just a level we don’t belong at and for us and the majority of Scottish clubs is nothing but a permanent anti climax and an occasional source of humiliation.

6 hours ago, Mio Krivokapic said:

So I m guessing you want to see us qualify for Europe - by finishing as high up in the league as possible or winning a cup

I want to see us finish as high up in the league as possible, playing good entertaining football and winning matches. I also want to see us winning a Cup even more so. Getting into Europe as a result of either would be just a mere bonus to that.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, MJC said:

But we can compete in the league and the cup, some years better than others granted. Europe is just a level we don’t belong at and for us and the majority of Scottish clubs is nothing but a permanent anti climax and an occasional source of humiliation.

I want to see us finish as high up in the league as possible, playing good entertaining football and winning matches. I also want to see us winning a Cup even more so. Getting into Europe as a result of either would be just a mere bonus to that.

So European football is a level we don't belong at ok then...even by your negative trolling standards that is a feckin ridiculous statement to make, honestly have a look at yourself ffs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MJC said:

So if we were to finish third next season we should just refuse to take part in any European competition and tell Uefa to hand our guaranteed millions to some other more deserving cause? All because we will undoubtedly get well beaten at some stage and you would feel humiliated.

Perhaps we should just refuse to play Rangers and Celtic as well just in case we get trounced and you get embarrassed. Or maybe Celtic should refuse to play in the Champions League to avoid getting their regular thrashing by the likes of Barcelona.

You seem to have a strange take on what supporting a football team is likely to entail. For me the "lows" only serve to make the "highs" even more enjoyable. Looking forward to the European draw, speculating where we might end up and lapping up the excitement within Fir Park all rank as highs. Given the celebrations at Livi a year or so back when our European Tour looked to be a possibility I suspect most fans feel the same

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

So European football is a level we don't belong at ok then...even by your negative trolling standards that is a feckin ridiculous statement to make, honestly have a look at yourself ffs.

Yes it is. Look at our record in European games over the years. Look at other Scottish sides of a similar size to us over the years. 

Stjarnan and Sligo for us, Connah’s Quay for Killie, Malmo for Hibs. The trend is there.

Only Hearts and Aberdeen, easily the 2nd and 3rd biggest clubs in the country have managed to progress past the prelim rounds in Europe in the last 20 years.

3 minutes ago, dennyc said:

So if we were to finish third next season we should just refuse to take part in any European competition and tell Uefa to hand our guaranteed millions to some other deserving cause? All because we might get well beaten at some stage and you would feel humiliated.

Are you for real?

No, I’m not saying we should refuse to take part in any European competition as that is obviously good for the club, on paper at least. 

I’m saying that us playing in Europe is nothing more than an extra bit of fluff as a result of a good league season (usually) or winning the Scottish Cup.

Nobody but nobody is telling me that playing a prelim Euro game against Kuban Krasnador where we lose 3-0 on aggregate is as good as watching us beat Celtic twice, pump Hibs 4-1, go to Tannadice and run riot and play fast flowing football over the course of a season. 

14 minutes ago, MJC said:

Nobody but nobody is telling me that playing a prelim Euro game against Kuban Krasnador where we lose 3-0 on aggregate is as good as watching us beat Celtic twice, pump Hibs 4-1, go to Tannadice and run riot and play fast flowing football over the course of a season. 

Nobody is saying that. But why can't we enjoy both? One is not exclusive of the other.

May I ask, how did you feel watching us play in Dortmund all those years back, and at Nancy? Both games where we performed well and received plaudits despite playing teams that you would rate as out of our league and who we had no business playing. Games where our fans were lauded for the support they gave their team. Defeat probably inevitable but incredible occasions all the same. Would you deny us those moments?

I'll take a match in Iceland any day over a trip to Annan. But as I said, why can't we enjoy both?

4 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Nobody is saying that. But why can't we enjoy both? One is not exclusive of the other.

May I ask, how did you feel watching us play in Dortmund all those years back, and at Nancy? Both games where we performed well and received plaudits despite playing teams that you would rate as out of our league and who we had no business playing. Games where our fans were lauded for the support they gave their team. Defeat probably inevitable but incredible occasions all the same. Would you deny us those moments?

Of course you can enjoy both. As I said if the experience of going abroad to Germany or France or wherever is the big appeal with us playing in Europe then that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. 

What I would say though is that when we are in Europe and playing against a ‘big name’ like Borussia Dortmund then that adds a fair bit more to the tie than if we are playing Sligo Rovers, Stjarnan, Levante or MyPa-47 and losing to them.

I appreciate that others see it differently, but us in Europe just doesn’t ‘do it’ for me and I’d much rather see us do well domestically.

48 minutes ago, MJC said:

Of course you can enjoy both. As I said if the experience of going abroad to Germany or France or wherever is the big appeal with us playing in Europe then that’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with that. 

What I would say though is that when we are in Europe and playing against a ‘big name’ like Borussia Dortmund then that adds a fair bit more to the tie than if we are playing Sligo Rovers, Stjarnan, Levante or MyPa-47 and losing to them.

I appreciate that others see it differently, but us in Europe just doesn’t ‘do it’ for me and I’d much rather see us do well domestically.

I have enjoyed every overseas tie I have been at whether we have won or lost. Possibly because it is about the entire experience and not just the 90 minutes or so on the pitch. And that applies to whether it was Stjarnan or Dortmund, Levante or MyPa. And despite the result, I wish I had been lucky enough to visit Sligo.

But you never answered my question. How did you feel in the build up to the games I mentioned, watching the game/highlights and reading the after match reviews? I find it difficult to believe that you did not enjoy any of it despite the inevitable outcomes.

And all of that is without taking into account the financial rewards on offer at present, which you appear to dismiss as unimportant or irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

But you never answered my question. How did you feel in the build up to the games I mentioned, watching the game/highlights and reading the after match reviews? I find it difficult to believe that you did not enjoy any of it despite the inevitable outcomes.

I suppose the best way to describe it is that it felt like a bit of a novelty, even though the result was probably inevitable, which turned out to be the case. Yes there is a degree of excitement about those games, but at the same time I knew that it wouldn’t have any bearing on our league season.

So yes, in answer to your question (I think) seeing Motherwell playing B.Dortmund or Steaua Bucharest or Nancy did have a different feel to it beforehand, but at the same time there was that feeling that we were just there to make up the numbers…and in the cases of Nancy, PAO, Levante and Kuban it looked very much like the manager and players thought the same.

4 hours ago, MJC said:

I suppose the best way to describe it is that it felt like a bit of a novelty, even though the result was probably inevitable, which turned out to be the case. Yes there is a degree of excitement about those games, but at the same time I knew that it wouldn’t have any bearing on our league season.

We went on a bit of a run after playing Dortmund, one of our best for years, so of course it had a bearing on the league season.

14 hours ago, MJC said:

So yes, in answer to your question (I think) seeing Motherwell playing B.Dortmund or Steaua Bucharest or Nancy did have a different feel to it beforehand, but at the same time there was that feeling that we were just there to make up the numbers…and in the cases of Nancy, PAO, Levante and Kuban it looked very much like the manager and players thought the same.

I think the Sligo game had a massive impact on our league season