The mid ‘70’s Motherwell squad

SteelmaninOZ

And anyone who's old enough to remember will recall that people used to say that Willie Pettigrew 'couldn't play football' and only scored goals 😁

• Haha 5

You don't see a lot of him in those clips, but Vid Davidson was one of the most supremely talented footballes I've ever seen. he used to get criticised for being a bit 'lightweight'......but what a footballer he was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That first video is of the team I best remember from my youth, Rennie, Wark, Davidson, Marinello, Graham & Pettigrew, with plenty of steel (no pun intended) around them to allow them to strut their stuff.

Two things jumped out to me;

1: I think we paid 100,000 for Marinello, what would that equate to now?

2: How many players would each team finish a game with if Colum was refereeing in the 70s?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grumpy said:

That first video is of the team I best remember from my youth, Rennie, Wark, Davidson, Marinello, Graham & Pettigrew, with plenty of steel (no pun intended) around them to allow them to strut their stuff.

Two things jumped out to me;

1: I think we paid 100,000 for Marinello, what would that equate to now?

2: How many players would each team finish a game with if Colum was refereeing in the 70s?

In those days though, other clubs couldn't take your players for nothing, even if their contracts were up (unless you freed them). Paying fees was the norm, but you generally got them back when the player moved on (or even profited).

Tommy Mclean played about a lot in the 50K transfer market, cause you could get that back in transfer fees from a side a league below you quite easily.

4 minutes ago, clueless said:

My recollection is that we got Marinello for nothing. Portsmouth didn't pay the agreed compensation for taking our manager - Ian St John - and we got him in lieu.

But it was a long time ago, and I haven't checked.

Didn't Portsmouth also take a young guy, Bobbie?? from Coltness who was signed with us, too?

According to MotherwellNET:

After failing to agree on a new contract (with Arsenal) in 1973 he headed further south to join Portsmouth.

At Fratton Park, Peter would eventually play under former ‘Well favourite Ian St John who left the Motherwell managers post to join Pompey as club chairman John Deacon tempted him away with the promise of a massive transfer kitty. As it transpired all was not well and the club ended up in a financial crisis which would see all saleable assets such as Marinello moving on.

Motherwell boss Willie McLean had been pursing Ayr United’s Johnny Doyle but when the move was scuppered he made a move for Peter. The club offered a £35,000 fee which was accepted and he headed back north to join the Steelmen.

5 hours ago, clueless said:

My recollection is that we got Marinello for nothing. Portsmouth didn't pay the agreed compensation for taking our manager - Ian St John - and we got him in lieu.

But it was a long time ago, and I haven't checked.

You're probably right, possibly Arsenal paid Hibs £100k and I'm confused. An increasingly common state of affairs these days.

As Weeyin said though, he was fabulous to watch