Set Pieces

steelboy

46 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

At one point yesterday Wilkinson was taking a corner instead of being in the middle with Bair trying to get on the end of it.

It was the only decent ball we put in all day. 

The big plank can't head the ball so there's no point in him being in the middle anyway. He wanted to take the next couple of set pieces as well but Blair Beckham pulled rank. 

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:48 PM, steelboy said:

They are as bad as I've ever seen. Spittal is honking at crossing a dead ball and either under hits it or chips into the box like a rugby restart. 

They need to be far better. 

i take it you dont much like wilkinson or spittal  ?????

It’s when we attempt short corners especially at the end of a game we are trying to see out that grinds me. We ALWAYS play it short then immediately give it away and the opposition are in our half within 30 seconds. We’ve actually not conceded that many goals from that scenario but it’s still absolutely infuriating to watch. 

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

Forget corners and free kicks, never in my life have I seen a Motherwell team able to take a successful throw-in. We're just shit at it. 

Why do we wait for a full back to jog over, why do we let the defence get set, why don’t we pick the ball up and throw it at a Motherwell player and get the game going?

15 hours ago, wellfan said:

Forget corners and free kicks, never in my life have I seen a Motherwell team able to take a successful throw-in. We're just shit at it. 

How are you defining a  "successful throw in" as you put it, one that leads to a goal, reaches another Motherwell player etc please explain as I can definitely smell shite with that remark.

28 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

How are you defining a  "successful throw in" as you put it, one that leads to a goal, reaches another Motherwell player etc please explain as I can definitely smell shite with that remark.

Admit it, we’re chronically shit at throw-ins. It’s the Motherwell way. 

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I can understand his comment, we always seem to take an age at throw’s, players seem static and hardly ever create space for themselves or other players. Most of our throws are short and given back to the thrower when is closed down by a defender before it can be worked to someone else as few players seem to try and move to a position to receive the pass. A quick throw for someone to run on to seldom happens as no one seems to try and make a run.  

On 8/22/2023 at 12:34 PM, Stuwell2 said:

I can understand his comment, we always seem to take an age at throw’s, players seem static and hardly ever create space for themselves or other players. Most of our throws are short and given back to the thrower when is closed down by a defender before it can be worked to someone else as few players seem to try and move to a position to receive the pass. A quick throw for someone to run on to seldom happens as no one seems to try and make a run.  

The last 'Well player I can remember making himself available for throw-ins and doing something positive on receipt of the throw-in was Andy Walker.

5 hours ago, Wishielad said:

The last 'Well player I can remember making himself available for throw-ins and doing something positive on receipt of the throw-in was Andy Walker.

Did we ever benefit from Craigan doing his open the East Stand gate to take a throw in thing? I remember him opening the gate two weeks on the trot but don’t remember if we ever actually scored after it?

57 minutes ago, smiddy said:

am sure that was the game he opened the east stand gate a threw a long shy, and if memory serves me right the killie ? goalie punched it into his own net ??

or am a trippin ?   ho doubt somebody will keep us right

Definitely happened , but he was never allowed to open the gate again . The Killie goalie was Allan Combe.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:16 PM, wellfan said:

I'm often wonder about this and this is my take.

Technically poor players don't like receiving the ball from throw ins.