🏆SC Motherwell v Alloa 20/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Did you see him at their goal?

If I remember correctly, the goal came from Butcher failing to challenge Sammon in the air. If he'd done his job, Sammon wouldn't have found himself with the return pass in the box. 

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Maybe we could give the boy more than 5 minutes before putting the black cap on.

Monty did more good than bad today. It looked like he and Gent had played together before. I was encouraged. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Did you see him at their goal?

I didn't in all honestly but their goal was 100% on Butcher. He was 3 yards off Sammon for what felt like an age as he strolled unchallenged into our box and scored.

2 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

I didn't in all honestly but their goal was 100% on Butcher. He was 3 yards off Sammon for what felt like an age as he strolled unchallenged into our box and scored.

Sammon did well to make and finish that move for a goal. He had Butcher in his pocket for a lot of today. 

11 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Monty did more good than bad today. It looked like he and Gent had played together before. I was encouraged. 

Yeah, I thought they looked good together. Obviously we're not playing Alloa every week so they'll need to be at it defensively, but I'm hopeful too.

23 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I absolutely rate Spittal and am glad we've got him, but he needs to stop hitting corners and indirect free kicks. Keep him to 25-yard screamers only. 

Decent player for us,like many others has his good days and bad, reckon 4 or 5 teams In our league would gladly have Spittal at their club. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Benson said:

Decent player for us,like many others has his good days and bad, reckon 4 or 5 teams In our league would gladly have Spittal at their club. 

I'm a huge fan of Spittal and I felt the same about Slattery. 

20 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Agreed. The space on the right in front of Spittal as RWB near the end of the game was vast. Can Luca Ross play in there? 

Only really seen him for any length of time up at Elgin but he's a natural on the RHS so in theory yes.

I expected more from Alloa today tbh, esph when some of their players have played at a half decent level. I thought it would have been a tricky cup tie but it was a pretty routine win, we were our own worst enemy at times with poor decision making, slack passing and so forth, you could actually feel the frustration as promising moves petered out with a misplaced pass. 

It's actually annoying to think that they never got into our final third until the 27th minute until they scored with their first effort, then they hardly got in our box again I think it was just the one other shot they managed to test Kelly with right after HT but that was that. 

Some nice goals today, also enjoyable getting a few back to back home wins. Hopefully we get another lower league team in the next round at home. 

Really patchy performance but we win which was main thing.

Obviously grizzlyg isn't my real name but If you wonder where I sit I was the wee lad in east stand having a breakdown every time Spittal took a set piece.   Cue before free kick...""Spittal....get away....give it to gent....your set pieces are.......goallllllllllll".   I have been big defender of Spittal but today he frustrated feck out of me.   Mind you my mates had great laugh at my expense today as did oor section of east stand.  Sorry Blair 🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Really patchy performance but we win which was main thing.

Obviously grizzlyg isn't my real name but If you wonder where I sit I was the wee lad in east stand having a breakdown every time Spittal took a set piece.   Cue before free kick...""Spittal....get away....give it to gent....your set pieces are.......goallllllllllll".   I have been big defender of Spittal but today he frustrated feck out of me.   Mind you my mates has great laugh at my expense today as did oor section of east stand.  Sorry Blair 🤣🤣

Many pints? Mrs Grizzly won't be pleased. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I was the wee lad in east stand having a breakdown every time Spittal took a set piece

You don’t sit in the second block do you? Some one behind me shouted “don’t let that bawbag hit it” about 2 seconds before he knocked it in the top corner. Mental.

Spittal gets some amount of stick, most of it completely unwarranted.

2 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

You don’t sit in the second block do you? Some one behind me shouted “don’t let that bawbag hit it” about 2 seconds before he knocked it in the top corner. Mental.

Spittal gets some amount of stick, most of it completely unwarranted.

Nope 3rd block along, definitely didn't say bawbag.    Spittal frustrating but I have been big defender of his

• Like 1

Just now, grizzlyg said:

Nope 3rd block along, definitely didn't saw bawbag.    Spittal frustrating but I have been big defender of his

Didn’t actually think it was you, you’re far too jovial on here, this guy was raging 😂

We made it into the next round and that's all that matters,giving how we have been going this season it was never going to be pretty and a convincing win.if we stick with montgomery and gent then hopefully thats the making of a balanced left side,we badly need a right full back that can offer something going forward,miller back fit is a big positive but unless we can get a centre half in our issues at the back will continue,other than probably mcginn none of them have been at the races this season.our lack of striking options is a real concern,we need to find a couple from somewhere and not settle for any old shit that's available,obika is a total write off and hopefully the talk of shaw bring moved on are true.